FA Cup replays gone | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

FA Cup replays gone

Oct 19, 2021
It is a financial blow for smaller clubs thereā€™s no doubt about it. However, Iā€™m not sure that replays are necessary or desirable any longer from a sporting point of view. I think we saw the impact of playing 210 minutes against Leeds this season - many of the players looked pretty exhausted and Iā€™m sure it impacted on their performances for a while afterwards (in combination with Fosterā€™s poor management obviously).

Reactions: Dorset Green

TaviGreen1990

āœ… Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
I think some big teams will come to regret it. Look at when we played at Anfield. Teams can definitely defend a 0-0 for 120 mins and win on pens. Could make for some terrible viewing though.

Reactions: metroace

GU7Green

āœ… Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
If they dont want replays then money talks but it wouldve been nice if there was some sort of mechanism (I appreciate this would be very hard to adminster) where premier league clubs can ONLY be away up to, say, the 6th round then at least if (say) Shrewsbury draw Man Utd then at least they get the chance of a big game at home.

I appreciate however that due to Ā£ a lot would rather play at Old Trafford, Anfield etc however.

Mark Smith

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I appreciate however that due to Ā£ a lot would rather play at Old Trafford, Anfield etc however.

That's another problem: many genuinely small clubs would prefer to be drawn away and get a share of the gate money from 40k fans, than be drawn to play at home in front of 5k.

Replays offered the best of both worlds.

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Jan 6, 2004
Its a shame, but was inevitable. The next stage will no doubt be for those clubs with places in Europe to enter in R4 or R5...

Jul 11, 2022
I would love to know what sort of consultation The FA made before agreeing this, not sure anyone League One and down would agree. Abither nail in the coffin of the football pyramid

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 25, 2016
I would love to know what sort of consultation The FA made before agreeing this, not sure anyone League One and down would agree. Abither nail in the coffin of the football pyramid

By sounds of it, it was between FA and PL. but I could be wrong

Aug 23, 2009
Southway
It is a financial blow for smaller clubs thereā€™s no doubt about it. However, Iā€™m not sure that replays are necessary or desirable any longer from a sporting point of view. I think we saw the impact of playing 210 minutes against Leeds this season - many of the players looked pretty exhausted and Iā€™m sure it impacted on their performances for a while afterwards (in combination with Fosterā€™s poor management obviously).
We looked exhausted because our squad was so much smaller than Leeds with less rotation.

Much our where we are now can be attributed to that historic 0-0 at anfield.
Really falling out of love with football.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Thatā€™s a shame. For me the obvious solution has always been that the teams who qualify for Europe should be removed from the Carabao Cup. Frankly, nobody really cares about that competition anyway because it is routinely won by the elite teamā€™s second string. So why not remove them, put a European playoff place against the lowest PL European qualifier in place (I.e 7th v CC winner) and then it gives all of the other PL teams a reason to take it seriously. You can then leave the FA Cup alone.

Timeout

Jade Berrow 23/24
Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Truly dreadful. Honestly, if the super league started up again and took the top 6 prem teams with them, I wouldn't mind at all anymore. Would rather get excited about playing villa or west ham in the prem knowing the worst of the bunch were gone. Killing our game
Completely agree. They've killed the game in pursuit of their global billions. Personally I would like to see the super league created.... But kick them all out of domestic football..... They can go and have their global franchise league and let us have the game back. A complete reset across European football.

Jul 20, 2021
To quote Rick and Dave, "football ain't what it used to be". I'm surprised the FA Cup still exists considering how sadly irrelevant and low key it now is. Look what's happened to our beautiful game šŸ˜ž