Penalty (did we get one last season?) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Penalty (did we get one last season?)

Sep 6, 2006
Am I right in thinking we went the whole 46 games without a pen? Surely can't have happened before

Aug 8, 2013
One against Rotherham, which I think the referee only gave us
because he thought he should probably have sent one of their
players off.

Reactions: Pasty808

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
A lot of our goals have been from long range or have been quick counter attacks, we haven’t really spent much time in the opposition area, the teams who adopt a possession/overload kind of style do tend to win highest number of penalties, so the table above isn’t surprising.

Apr 22, 2023
I know the likes of Leicester and Leeds will be playing alot of attacking football so will be around the penalty area more. But the cynic just thinks that this confirms all that has been discussed throughout the season that refs bow to these bigger teams when making decisions in matches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 31, 2022
I know the likes of Leicester and Leeds will be playing alot of attacking football so will be around the penalty area more. But the cynic just thinks that this confirms all that has been discussed throughout the season that refs bow to these bigger teams when making decisions in matches?

I can't confirm nor deny your theory, but one extra factor is that the players just know how to go down.

Devine, as just one example, hasn't got a clue how to go down to win a foul.

This in my opinion, is the only downside to building a "nice" squad with our "no knobheads policy".

Compare that to Rutter, Summerville and Dewsbury-Hall, they're the kings of the tumble.

Reactions: greenlight

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I can't confirm nor deny your theory, but one extra factor is that the players just know how to go down.

Devine, as just one example, hasn't got a clue how to go down to win a foul.

This in my opinion, is the only downside to building a "nice" squad with our "no knobheads policy".

Compare that to Rutter, Summerville and Dewsbury-Hall, they're the kings of the tumble.

I do agree with this. There’s a big difference between outright diving and just knowing how to draw and subsequently make the most of some contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue