Liam Rosenior!! | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Liam Rosenior!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
I think the writing was definitely the wall for LR as the hull chairman is hoping to appoint their new manager in the next 2 days. So must have known he was sacking and already looking for replacements

Jan 13, 2017
Has anyone mentioned that his father Leroy Rosenior managed with some success at Torquay and took them up to League 1 I seem to remember. Maybe he would say to his son that the South West is a great place to live and work...….that's if he actually moved to the area with his family...including Liam.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Has anyone mentioned that his father Leroy Rosenior managed with some success at Torquay and took them up to League 1 I seem to remember. Maybe he would say to his son that the South West is a great place to live and work...….that's if he actually moved to the area with his family...including Liam.

You mean his first stint as manager. His second stint lasted about an hour (literally) if I recall...

Jul 21, 2011
Hull are 8th in the full season Championship attacking xG table, with an average xG of 1.29 per game.

They‘re also 8th for defensive xG - with an average of 1.10 conceded per game..

For comparison, Argyle are 16th in the attacking xG table (1.08 per game), and 23rd (yikes) for defensive xG (1.52), just ahead of Rotherham on 1.62.

(NB this does not include final game of the season)
Thanks Justin,
It seems to me we could do with someone a bit more defensive minded than this last season, especially when he is also a bit more attack minded as well !!!
are there any negatives in these comparisons? if not then it must be;
LR come on down !!

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
The likelihood of Argyle getting LR is virtually zero.

Yes, he was sacked from Hull, but its widely regarded in the football world that he did an excellent job.

He'll want a club with minimum aspirations of the play offs... and not just wishful thinking of getting there.

Don't get your hopes up guys as this is not going to happen.
I would agree, I doubt if he want to come down to our budget level, he might feel that he deserves / wants to try further up the table given how well he did in the circumstances at both Derby and Hull.

But, having read some of his comments and how he does seem to fit the one argyle mantra, then maybe he will look at us and his career differently. Given he is still only 39/40.

Another hope is that he may prefer to have a full pre season rather than wait for his chance after the sack race begins in September.

Another plus point that matches us both I think is his reputation of coaching and developing young players on loan.

I doubt it will happen.

Dec 17, 2016
Liam,
It would be great to have you on board! Just make sure you bring the best Hull City players with you, including your entire backroom staff!
🤣

Jan 9, 2023
Playing at a higher level doesn't always convert to being a good head coach/manager. Rooney, Gerrard, Gary Neville to name just a few.... In fact a lot of the top managers never played at a high level, Mourinho,
Tuchel etc.
I'm sure a lot of people said this when we appointed Foster!

You are right though. Prioritise man management skills and playing philosophy here. Cultural fit in other words. This is everything, whatever it is you do for a living. We shoukd take Schumacher's best characteristics and use them as a template. Brave, honest, clear attacking principles and footballing philosophy, clear personal philosophy too. Can they build on this amazing dressing room? How do they treat people? Some of this can be assessed in interview, but people obviously present an idealised version of themselves in interview. I know I do. It's a daft way of hiring to be honest. The other thing is something called due diligence. You can't select on an interview or qualifications alone. Talk to people they worked with - players, agents, coaches. Do some reading, be methodical. If you see something you don't like bring it up in interview. They just can't possibly have done much of that with foster.

I think we've already seen badges mean absolutely eff all. Anyone can pick up a qualification and that goes for any job. A championship manager needs that special sauce, especially at a club like ours. I would involve someone like Joe Edwards in the interview process. Its essential the players are on board. Have the take a session as part of the interview! Why not?

The problem is a lot of this stuff... it's intangibles. You can have all the data you like there's no stat that shows if someone is the end if a bell or not, and whether they make training fun. You need to gather that info yourselves.

Jun 27, 2019

You are right though. Prioritise man management skills and playing philosophy here. Cultural fit in other words. This is everything, whatever it is you do for a living. We shoukd take Schumacher's best characteristics and use them as a template. Brave, honest, clear attacking principles and footballing philosophy, clear personal philosophy too. Can they build on this amazing dressing room? How do they treat people? Some of this can be assessed in interview, but people obviously present an idealised version of themselves in interview. I know I do. It's a daft way of hiring to be honest. The other thing is something called due diligence. You can't select on an interview or qualifications alone. Talk to people they worked with - players, agents, coaches. Do some reading, be methodical. If you see something you don't like bring it up in interview. They just can't possibly have done much of that with foster.

I think we've already seen badges mean absolutely eff all. Anyone can pick up a qualification and that goes for any job. A championship manager needs that special sauce, especially at a club like ours. I would involve someone like Joe Edwards in the interview process. Its essential the players are on board. Have the take a session as part of the interview! Why not?

The problem is a lot of this stuff... it's intangibles. You can have all the data you like there's no stat that shows if someone is the end if a bell or not, and whether they make training fun. You need to gather that info yourselves.

You're bang on with your last paragraph, though I hope the club don't get too hung up on trying to measure personality. Ian Foster was clearly a bit of an outlier in his approach to man management. What kind of person - in any profession - goes into a new management role and immediately and systematically ignores his senior employees? You'd have to have a screw loose to think that's going to end well for you.

The only other manager we've had who came close to displaying such inept people skills was Peter Shilton, who also managed to alienate senior/established players. In his case, though, he at least had the benefit of one or two amiable staff members around him in McGovern and Bowyer, not to mention a big old pile of medals from his playing career.

I can almost guarantee that we won't see another Ian Foster in the top job at Home Park again. Not because we'll be more careful in future, but because luckily there aren't many Ian Fosters out there.

Feb 11, 2024

I stopped reading when you said $$ was "honest", replace with conman and i agree 🤣

Reactions: oldage
Status
Not open for further replies.