Wayne Rooney set to be appointed | Page 44 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Wayne Rooney set to be appointed

Would you want Wayne Rooney as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 364 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 526 52.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 107 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2019
He has also coached at HMP Walton with 30 year lifers as part of his Pro-licence. That would ground him. He said of the experience;

‘My idea was to put myself in the most strenuous situations, where I felt the most anxiety — like jail — and if I could deliver there, surely when I went back to a place of safety, football, I could do it.”

I am not his agent by the way!
He sounds just as evangelical as Ian Foster and look how that turned out. We need someone who has their feet on the ground, someone who can introduce their ideas without sounding like they're from another planet.

• Haha
Reactions: pafc jack

IJN

🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
Nov 29, 2012
He has also coached at HMP Walton with 30 year lifers as part of his Pro-licence. That would ground him. He said of the experience;

‘My idea was to put myself in the most strenuous situations, where I felt the most anxiety — like jail — and if I could deliver there, surely when I went back to a place of safety, football, I could do it.”

So we don't know what he's like managing away games then?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY

I am sure they would have told Barry of their tactics how to extricate themselves from a tight corner, especially if they were all local Scousers. I bet he never wore a red or a blue training top!

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
Don't know why, the footy there playing is excellent, turned the club around from relegation contenders, and brought on young players. So what's there not to like
No idea there just not keen, although I wouldn't have called them relegation contenders they were 2nd when he took over

Reactions: Argy1e
Jul 28, 2020

I get the sense that you might have an inside track on this anthony barry talk ? Is that right ?

Is the common denominator between ian foster and anthony barry that they worked with paul cook ? And would that explain why paul cook was interviewed ( which was disclosed by paul cook himself)?

We have had several 'L' plater' managers in the championship- peter shilton, david kemp, ian foster...none particularly successful, so I'm not sure in what way Barry's appointment would be data- driven, in any sense ( although I think david Kemp would have succeeded in fielding a very competitive side- if he was given the budget which shilton had)...

In regard to barry's press quotes words are one thing but actions are really what counts ( 'fine words dont butter any parsnips')- and experience is what counts,even more, in my view

Its simon Hallett's club and it's his money that hes using to fund it....and that definitely gives him the right to choose who he likes

That doesnt mean that I would be happy to see another 'L plate' manager in charge - no matter how stellar his coaching career- because that doesnt translate into being a successful manager, as brian kidd found out

Tried and tested is best in my view- in the mould of ian Holloway and tony pulis.Perhaps even the return of Shuey might end up being an option, if he ends up getting the chop ?( who I'm sure will be a much better manager now as a result of his experiences at stoke )....

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2005
Don't know why, the footy there playing is excellent, turned the club around from relegation contenders, and brought on young players. So what's there not to like
I think that was largely down to Liam Manning before he went to Brizzle. They were definitely up there when he left..

Reactions: Cdp
Jan 2, 2023
I see the FAI are to approach Anthony Barry to become their full time manager but it is reported that he wants his next job to be a full time appointment with a club and not International management. He will be leaving Bayern Munich shortly so now no compensation to be paid. Whilst he also is to assist Martinez in the Euros with Portugal I do wonder if offered the chance to manage a club he would take it. For me he remains the highest calibre potential candidate.
He would do for me Graham!

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
So why are they having such a bad season if their coaches are so good, Barry not for me thanks.
You're going to be disappointed whomever they bring in if a "bad" season when they're not even in charge of things is enough to write someone off.

NLG

🎫 ST Donor 🎫
Jan 16, 2006
You're going to be disappointed whomever they bring in if a "bad" season when they're not even in charge of things is enough to write someone off.
True, fortunately neither you nor I will be making the decision !

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
So why are they having such a bad season if their coaches are so good, Barry not for me thanks.

Mainly because Leverkusen have been unreal. Bayern may still win the Champions League - Barry was the assistant when Chelsea won the Champions League.

I think getting him in would be quite a coup for us and if it’s true that he was interviewed for the job I remain shocked that we chose Foster ahead of him.

Reactions: Jon with no H
Jul 28, 2020
I think it was derek Adams , when he terminated luke croll's loan who said, ' I would rather he makes his mistakes at another club'

For me this applies, equally, but more so to managers.

We dont want learners IMO- and anthony barry is a learner.

We've already seen the cost of appointing a learner this season

I would rather we appointed somebody who knows what they are doing, has done it all before as a manager,and as derek Adams said ( in relation to croll), has already made their mistakes ,as a manager, at other clubs....

Reactions: NLG and green pants
Status
Not open for further replies.