Messageboard Home  | Fantasy Football  | Predictions  | Club Info  | About P@SOTI  | Privacy Policy  
Until the end of season:

The Home Park refurbishment will be completed in It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: England bowled out for 58
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:02 pm 

And there lies the truth PKB !

Ball tampering et al is "permissible" until caught ?

Then "dollies" and "prams" come to mind ?

Smithy and the "senior leadership group" are ALL to blame and must take the consequences, with Cricket Australia hardly blameless ?

As you said earlier, there should be some serious heads rolling soon.

Keep the Faith :scarf:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 pm 
Player Sponsor #1 18/19

the three protagonists have been sent home

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:36 am 

How sad , never mind..Advance Australia FAIR....yeh right :furious:

S.N.A.F.U. Now home of the America's Cup.!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:00 am 

Smith and Warner banned for a year and Bancroft banned for 9 months. Bans apply for playing for Australia and in Australia. Smith and Warner have both been expelled from the IPL this year too. I'd guess Somerset will drop Bancroft but with the County season starting in 3 weeks it doesn't leave much time to get a replacement in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:12 pm 

The-Pilgrim wrote:
Smith and Warner banned for a year and Bancroft banned for 9 months. Bans apply for playing for Australia and in Australia. Smith and Warner have both been expelled from the IPL this year too. I'd guess Somerset will drop Bancroft but with the County season starting in 3 weeks it doesn't leave much time to get a replacement in.

The bans are not bad, but seem a bit light, and bans should be worldwide, but I suppose this is down to the ICC.

I would have been looking at about 2 years ban.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Admin, Auction Winner and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

And Smith and Bannedcroft faced the media and said they used yellow tape, it turns out it was sandpaper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 pm 

Martyn wrote:
The-Pilgrim wrote:

The bans are not bad, but seem a bit light, and bans should be worldwide, but I suppose this is down to the ICC.

I would have been looking at about 2 years ban.

The ICC punishment was for a one match ban. It was Cricket Australia that imposed the longer bans and expulsion from the IPL.
More than fair punishment in view of "slap on the wrist" penalties imposed on offenders in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 pm 

I don't think the punishments are harsh, come to think about it, they are not harsh enough.

Question, if Smith and Warner had got away with it, in this Test, and not have been found out, would they have tried it in future tests, I think we know the answer to that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:58 am 

Agreed the ICC punishment is lenient, but in line with penalties handed out to
Faf du Plessis, twice, Philander just recently. Atherton and Trescothic previously. Broad and Anderson 2010 in SA. Others in India and Pakistan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 am 

khennes_904 wrote:
How sad , never mind..Advance Australia FAIR....yeh right :furious:

Self righteous or just a big chip on the shoulder like so many Kiwis?

Don't see you condemning the English, South Africans, Pakistanis, Indians, et al with the same fervour!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Admin, Auction Winner and Player Sponsor #1 18/19

Tears and a resignation. Good riddance!

Post subject: Cheating in cricket vs cheating in football.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:03 pm 

So, 3 Australian cricketers and the Coach have been suspended/resigned for trying to gain an advantage by roughing up the cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper. The sporting world agrees universally that this is a good thing and the use of TV cameras to catch the cheating was invaluable. Meanwhile in football--players continue to 'draw' fouls, abuse referees, waste time, feign injuries etc. etc. and this is accepted by fans and players as part of the 'beautiful' game--and resistance to VAR continues to gain pace. Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Cheating in cricket vs cheating in football.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:20 pm 
Auction Winner

The cheating incident in cricket has been shameful but I'm impressed with the speed and severity with which players have been dealt.

The cheating in football is shameful, especially the diving, but what I find particularly depressing is the sort of language that's now being used.

"He got touched so he has every right to go down."

I hear that one a lot and every time I do, I want to reach through the screen and strangle the pussy who's saying it. I say pussy because it's as if football has given up on itself - what the statement above really says is that diving is so prevalent, and we're so afraid to actually do something about it, that we're just going to weave it into the footballer's playbook.

Well...no. The only time you have "a right" to go down is when the laws of physics give you no other choice. Otherwise YOU. ARE. CHEATING.

I really don't get what it is that football is so afraid of. Is is the sponsors breathing down their necks? The TV companies threatening to pull out if the biggest stars aren't on show? If Ronaldo had been punished as severely as Steve Smith (as I believe every diver should be) then he'd have been sat on the sidelines for great stretches of time, and that simply won't do for a watching fanbase that cares more about excitement than integrity. Or perhaps the pundits don't want to be accused of hypocrisy for ratting out a player when they were often guilty of it themselves. Honour among thieves, I believe it's called.

Just think about what would happen to Ronnie O'Sullivan if he sneakily moved the cue ball an inch so that he could now pot the black. Or if Tiger Woods 'found' his ball in a fortunate lie and his actual tee shot was later discovered under a thicket. They'd get massacred. Yet footballers get away with it all the time, and not only have we stopped trying to punish it, we've actually tried to justify it. It's pathetic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next