Page 3 of 4

Re: Next season options

Posted: 09:56 06 May 2020
by Devongreenowl
Balham_Green wrote:
Devongreenowl wrote: You’re such a patronising (insult removed by Admin) Balham. Nowhere did I refer to a mild flu, I simply repeated the facts that the scientists have been stressing from the outset.


'Minimal symptoms' you said


Because that’s what the scientists have said. Keep up.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 10:20 06 May 2020
by Martin_Brock
Views on the BBC are like asking what goes on a scone first, where a pasty should be crimped and whether Brexit's a good idea. Some people have strong views one way or another, others less so but we'll never get agreement.

My feeling is that regardless of what you think of the current bunch of journalists, they are needed to keep the government to account. I think that only the questions that they've raised has led to some things happening (e.g supply of PPE, social restrictions to limit the spread of the disease, getting a higher number of tests done). These may've happened in due course, but the government was rather complacent at first, which is why the PM and health secretary ended up contracting covid-19.

As for lifting of lockdown, it makes me anxious if it's done too quickly. Not for me personally as, whilst the disease can get anyone, given I'm younger and healthier with no underlying health concerns, I probably have a better chance of fighting it were I to get it. It's more for my wife (who has severe asthma) or for my Mum (who has a different respiratory condition), and I wouldn't want to be responsible for them coming to any harm. I'm missing family and friends a lot, as well as pubs and football, and I am looking forward to seeing them all again but only when it's proven safe to do so.

M

Re: Next season options

Posted: 10:22 06 May 2020
by Devongreenowl
Martin_Brock wrote: Views on the BBC are like asking what goes on a scone first, where a pasty should be crimped and whether Brexit's a good idea. Some people have strong views one way or another, others less so but we'll never get agreement.

My feeling is that regardless of what you think of the current bunch of journalists, they are needed to keep the government to account. I think that only the questions that they've raised has led to some things happening (e.g supply of PPE, social restrictions to limit the spread of the disease, getting a higher number of tests done). These may've happened in due course, but the government was rather complacent at first, which is why the PM and health secretary ended up contracting covid-19.

As for lifting of lockdown, it makes me anxious if it's done too quickly. Not for me personally as, whilst the disease can get anyone, given I'm younger and healthier with no underlying health concerns, I probably have a better chance of fighting it were I to get it. It's more for my wife (who has severe asthma) or for my Mum (who has a different respiratory condition), and I wouldn't want to be responsible for them coming to any harm. I'm missing family and friends a lot, as well as pubs and football, and I am looking forward to seeing them all again but only when it's proven safe to do so.

M


Fair and understandable point.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 13:41 06 May 2020
by MustardEagle
themightykeithfear wrote: Well that’s where we differ, I think the media have been pathetic and complicit in letting the government get away with murder. They just don’t ask the searching questions
eg1. Why do we have the highest death rate in Europe despite having more notice than other countries ?
2. Why did we lock down so late when we could see what was happening in Italy?
3. Why weren’t we testing like other countries - Germany were doing 100k per day a month ago- we did it on one day to meet the ministers target by putting 40k tests in the post, now we’re back below 100k , he clearly didn’t give a toss about people, just meeting a target ?
4. Why the day after the chief science officer told bozo to social distance and avoid human contact did he boast about shaking hands with covid patients ?
5. Why are doctors and nurses still not getting proper ppe ?
And lots more. It’s nothing to do with politics it’s the fact that we’ve been let down and had unnecessary deaths because of shambolic leadership.
Comparisons with Churchill are laughable, he was the right man at the right time, these clowns, jeez



Completely agree although I would add that it is all to do with politics as well as poor leadership. Political decisions to ignore the epidemic simulation in 2016 which found the UK lacked enough PPE and the fact that the NHS has been underfunded for the last decade. The decision to make nursing degrees loans instead of grants has also not exactly helped in recruiting nursing staff.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 18:05 06 May 2020
by IJN
I do apologise for those who intended to read this Argyle related thread for it to YET AGAIN turn into political bollox.

The new system means it is so difficult to split a thread when it gets bigger.

So with that in mind, certain posters should be aware they could be booted into the other forums by being stopped from using this one if this carries on.

Many many things are being allowed on our Main Forum BUT politics are not allowed on here and quite a few have complained about these mini hijacks.

Please be warned.

Thanks

Re: Next season options

Posted: 23:08 06 May 2020
by Balham_Green
IJN wrote: I do apologise for those who intended to read this Argyle related thread for it to YET AGAIN turn into political bollox.

The new system means it is so difficult to split a thread when it gets bigger.

So with that in mind, certain posters should be aware they could be booted into the other forums by being stopped from using this one if this carries on.

Many many things are being allowed on our Main Forum BUT politics are not allowed on here and quite a few have complained about these mini hijacks.

Please be warned.

Thanks


But 'political bollox' as you put it is closely relatrd to current circumstances. They are not separate hemispheres.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 05:22 07 May 2020
by Kersie
Like I’ve said before some people are very quick to judge after the event.....nobody knew really what going to happen between the 9th March - 13th March...now it was the wrong decision but back then who knew.... that’s like saying we should have gone in lockdown in February then none of this would have happen.....crystal ball comes to mind... :banghead:

Re: Next season options

Posted: 08:29 07 May 2020
by themightykeithfear
Who knew? Germany s korea and many other countries knew, acted responsibly and are coming out the other side with low death numbers.
It’s all going to be about the money, Rick Parry has told the prem that they must maintain the integrity of the system with promotion and relegation and threatened legal action. He also wants the £40 million parachute payments scrapped. The only chance for the EFL to complete the season is by the prem diverting some of the £70 million tv money to the EFL. Chances of that? Slim

Re: Next season options

Posted: 09:57 07 May 2020
by Devongreenowl
Somehow, we have to get football and other outdoor sports going again in front of live crowds, before mid autumn, otherwise huge numbers of football clubs are going to cease to exist. Argyle must be one of the more financially secure clubs in EFL2 but if we don’t open the grounds to the paying public until next year, even we could end up in big trouble.

The early signs in Germany are good and I feel sure the rest will follow suit. They have dealt with this situation very effectively, as the Germans always seem to do (said with respect). France, Italy and Spain have not done as well bearing in mind they are all part of the EU so it’s a bit of a mystery why there hasn’t been more joined up thinking with Germany.

Figures here in the UK are a bit worse than those last three I mentioned, but what doesn’t get perhaps as much media exposure as it should, is the fact that proportionately we have a much denser population than any of them, including Germany. Our capital city is between 2 and almost 4 times the size of Berlin, Paris, Madrid and Rome, population wise so London was obviously always going to be badly hit.

That said, there is no doubt we could and should have done better. Maybe our scientists have not been as clever as we or they, thought they were. Certainly one of the Swedish virologists who is part of WHO thinks so in today’s press. We’ve had one of the Scottish scientists having to resign for holiday-homing and now one of ours for carrying on his open marriage liaisons with a married woman, in direct contravention of his own instructions. I don’t judge his lifestyle which is a matter for him and his partners, but bloody hell what hypocrisy.

Then there are accounting methods which are so difficult to fathom between different nations. Does anybody seriously believe the Chinese figures? Our figures are now including deaths in care homes and non hospital (quite rightly), but that certainly may not be the case in Italy, Spain and France at least. Also, do we have proportionately more living in care homes than some others. For instance Italy's elderly tend to live in the family more than this country.

It must be incredibly difficult to maintain lockdown conditions in a care home with all the different ages and health conditions. PPE is also an issue. The care home staff do an amazing job and are perhaps the unsung heroes of this terrible situation. They are also very poorly paid in contrast to people in the NHS.

People may think football and sport are of minor consequence at such a time, but they are not. The effect on society in both financial and welfare terms will be immense if vast numbers of football, rugby and other clubs go to the wall as a result. I don’t believe it will be allowed to happen and I remain confident that I will be back at Home Park and Hillsborough before the end of this year, watching the teams I love. Honolulu Argyle and Wednesday :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Re: Next season options

Posted: 10:42 07 May 2020
by The Doctor
Kersie wrote: I think you should be prime minister...... and see what mess we would be in now


I'm not sure if this is aimed at me but if so I don't think you have properly read my last post in its entirety. Anyway, there's no way that I would want to be Prime Minister. But then, they do say that no-one who WANTS to be a politician should be allowed to be one!

Re: Next season options

Posted: 11:00 07 May 2020
by Balham_Green
Devongreenowl wrote: Somehow, we have to get football and other outdoor sports going again in front of live crowds, before mid autumn, otherwise huge numbers of football clubs are going to cease to exist. Argyle must be one of the more financially secure clubs in EFL2 but if we don’t open the grounds to the paying public until next year, even we could end up in big trouble.

The early signs in Germany are good and I feel sure the rest will follow suit. They have dealt with this situation very effectively, as the Germans always seem to do (said with respect). France, Italy and Spain have not done as well bearing in mind they are all part of the EU so it’s a bit of a mystery why there hasn’t been more joined up thinking with Germany.

Figures here in the UK are a bit worse than those last three I mentioned, but what doesn’t get perhaps as much media exposure as it should, is the fact that proportionately we have a much denser population than any of them, including Germany. Our capital city is between 2 and almost 4 times the size of Berlin, Paris, Madrid and Rome, population wise so London was obviously always going to be badly hit.

That said, there is no doubt we could and should have done better. Maybe our scientists have not been as clever as we or they, thought they were. Certainly one of the Swedish virologists who is part of WHO thinks so in today’s press. We’ve had one of the Scottish scientists having to resign for holiday-homing and now one of ours for carrying on his open marriage liaisons with a married woman, in direct contravention of his own instructions. I don’t judge his lifestyle which is a matter for him and his partners, but bloody hell what hypocrisy.

Then there are accounting methods which are so difficult to fathom between different nations. Does anybody seriously believe the Chinese figures? Our figures are now including deaths in care homes and non hospital (quite rightly), but that certainly may not be the case in Italy, Spain and France at least. Also, do we have proportionately more living in care homes than some others. For instance Italy's elderly tend to live in the family more than this country.

It must be incredibly difficult to maintain lockdown conditions in a care home with all the different ages and health conditions. PPE is also an issue. The care home staff do an amazing job and are perhaps the unsung heroes of this terrible situation. They are also very poorly paid in contrast to people in the NHS.

People may think football and sport are of minor consequence at such a time, but they are not. The effect on society in both financial and welfare terms will be immense if vast numbers of football, rugby and other clubs go to the wall as a result. I don’t believe it will be allowed to happen and I remain confident that I will be back at Home Park and Hillsborough before the end of this year, watching the teams I love. Honolulu Argyle and Wednesday :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:


Lets hope you are right but unlikely. I suggest you check the pop size of Paris by the way! And many smaller uk cities are now catching up with London anyway. Furthermore most Euro cities are much more densely populated.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 11:21 07 May 2020
by Devongreenowl
Balham_Green wrote:
Devongreenowl wrote: Somehow, we have to get football and other outdoor sports going again in front of live crowds, before mid autumn, otherwise huge numbers of football clubs are going to cease to exist. Argyle must be one of the more financially secure clubs in EFL2 but if we don’t open the grounds to the paying public until next year, even we could end up in big trouble.

The early signs in Germany are good and I feel sure the rest will follow suit. They have dealt with this situation very effectively, as the Germans always seem to do (said with respect). France, Italy and Spain have not done as well bearing in mind they are all part of the EU so it’s a bit of a mystery why there hasn’t been more joined up thinking with Germany.

Figures here in the UK are a bit worse than those last three I mentioned, but what doesn’t get perhaps as much media exposure as it should, is the fact that proportionately we have a much denser population than any of them, including Germany. Our capital city is between 2 and almost 4 times the size of Berlin, Paris, Madrid and Rome, population wise so London was obviously always going to be badly hit.

That said, there is no doubt we could and should have done better. Maybe our scientists have not been as clever as we or they, thought they were. Certainly one of the Swedish virologists who is part of WHO thinks so in today’s press. We’ve had one of the Scottish scientists having to resign for holiday-homing and now one of ours for carrying on his open marriage liaisons with a married woman, in direct contravention of his own instructions. I don’t judge his lifestyle which is a matter for him and his partners, but bloody hell what hypocrisy.

Then there are accounting methods which are so difficult to fathom between different nations. Does anybody seriously believe the Chinese figures? Our figures are now including deaths in care homes and non hospital (quite rightly), but that certainly may not be the case in Italy, Spain and France at least. Also, do we have proportionately more living in care homes than some others. For instance Italy's elderly tend to live in the family more than this country.

It must be incredibly difficult to maintain lockdown conditions in a care home with all the different ages and health conditions. PPE is also an issue. The care home staff do an amazing job and are perhaps the unsung heroes of this terrible situation. They are also very poorly paid in contrast to people in the NHS.

People may think football and sport are of minor consequence at such a time, but they are not. The effect on society in both financial and welfare terms will be immense if vast numbers of football, rugby and other clubs go to the wall as a result. I don’t believe it will be allowed to happen and I remain confident that I will be back at Home Park and Hillsborough before the end of this year, watching the teams I love. Honolulu Argyle and Wednesday :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:


Lets hope you are right but unlikely. I suggest you check the pop size of Paris by the way! And many smaller uk cities are now catching up with London anyway. Furthermore most Euro cities are much more densely populated.


Ok. I’m not going to argue about relative density of cities which depend on where one draws boundaries. But here are the Worldometer stats for population density

1. UK - 259 people per square km
2. Germany - 232
3. Italy - 206
4. France - 117
5. Spain - 91
All I’m saying is it’s a factor, that’s all. Of course, you don’t know whether I’m likely to be right or wrong. Neither do I. I’d rather be optimistic, there’s nothing wrong with that.

Re: Next season options

Posted: 11:29 07 May 2020
by themightykeithfear
Germany has a similar population density to the U.K. and more cities. London is not that densely populated, lots of parks! About 20th in Europe, many Spanish and Italian cities are much more densely populated and ageing population with pensioners living with family, which must have contributed to their high death rate