Page 1 of 3

Nurses pay

Posted: 09:12 05 Mar 2021
by Martyn
It is an absolute and utter disgrace, for our wonderful nurses to be offered a insulting 1% rise.

They should be utterly ashamed on themselves.

This comes on the news that they have failed to publish the PPE contracts, and Hancocks ‘friends’, did very well from the contracts.

They seemed to have found the money for that.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 09:16 05 Mar 2021
by Quinny
As an NHS employee - and married to a nurse - I will withhold comment. I haven't got time to circumnavigate PASOTI's bad language filter.

Mind you, I think the Suffolk Gazette (satire) nails it pretty much on the head...

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 10:35 05 Mar 2021
by Frank_Butcher
Remember that the recommendation comes from independent review bodies. It is however endorsed by Ministers. It is also just the start - highly unlikely it will stick at 1% IMO.

Personally, I think something like a significant one-off acknowledgement of committment and - let's not put too fine a word on it - bravery, for those on the front line of Covid should be made. This could be focussed on those most affected - the people who truly put themselves in danger while caring for others. It should be completely divorced from an annual settlement which continues in parallel.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 11:18 05 Mar 2021
by Pottypilgrim
Frank_Butcher wrote: Remember that the recommendation comes from independent review bodies. It is however endorsed by Ministers. It is also just the start - highly unlikely it will stick at 1% IMO.

Personally, I think something like a significant one-off acknowledgement of committment and - let's not put too fine a word on it - bravery, for those on the front line of Covid should be made. This could be focussed on those most affected - the people who truly put themselves in danger while caring for others. It should be completely divorced from an annual settlement which continues in parallel.


I really wouldn't put any faith in these. I worked in an organisation that was subject to an annual review by these 'independent' bodies and believe me when I say, they really have no idea of what is involved in the jobs that they are reviewing. They are made up of professors from Universities and other bodies that have been briefed up by ministers before they start their review and been given certain guidelines from which they cannot deviate. It is independent only in that there is no-one from the organisation they are reviewing or the govt on the review panel. It really is a farce. Even when the realities are pointed out to them nothing changes due to the constraints they are given to work under. I remember escorting one of these panels and shared with them the realities of the job they were reviewing and one of them was physically sick but guess what....nothing changed.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 11:49 05 Mar 2021
by mervyn
This must be the least astute government in living memory. It was absolutely inevitable that after all the NHS has done for us, a 1% rise was going to be ridiculed. The argument that nurses had received rises in previous years cuts no ice. Weren’t porters, ward admin staff, cleaners all not in the front line as well?

It would actually have been smarter to give no rise at all, and conduct a proper review, ideally across parties (unlikely I know), before acting.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 12:09 05 Mar 2021
by themightykeithfear
They may have got away with that with the argument that we can't afford it, but then you think its a £3.50 per week pay rise for nurses who saved Johnson's life, compared to, £37,000,000,000 to their mates for a failed track and trace scheme, millions more to friends, spouses of mps and their pub landlords to provide PPE, much of which is unusable, and a £40,000 pay rise to Dominic Cummings. Not a good look.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 13:40 05 Mar 2021
by oldage
An own goal by the government. They are giving money to help multi millionaires who furlough their staff but are penny pinching with NHS workers who have gone beyond the call of duty.Disgraceful!

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 13:59 05 Mar 2021
by Quinny
mervyn wrote: The argument that nurses had received rises in previous years cuts no ice.


Indeed, especially as the main increases to nursing pay were for newly qualified as the steps in Band 5 were modified to allow them to rise quicker through to the top of the band. Those band 5 nurses were already near the top of their band received ... less generous pay increases.

Weren’t porters, ward admin staff, cleaners all not in the front line as well?


Yes, along with a host of other types of staff who spend time on the wards / outpatient areas.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 14:32 05 Mar 2021
by Quinny

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 14:38 05 Mar 2021
by themightykeithfear
And they’re proposing a national slow handclap next Thursday at 8 on the doorstep!

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 14:38 05 Mar 2021
by Frank_Butcher
Quinny - genuine question with no ulterior motive - as I say I believe a generous one-off reward should be made to all affected frontline public sector workers.

But in respect of the 1%, how do increments work in the NHS these days? It's 20+ years since I was a member but in those days you could often expect two pay rises a year - one for the annual pay round and one for your increment to the next pay band (until you reached the top of that banding of course). It was something the general public was blissfully unaware of in my experience. Is that still the case today?

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 15:08 05 Mar 2021
by Quinny
Frank_Butcher wrote: Quinny - genuine question with no ulterior motive - as I say I believe a generous one-off reward should be made to all affected frontline public sector workers.

But in respect of the 1%, how do increments work in the NHS these days? It's 20+ years since I was a member but in those days you could often expect two pay rises a year - one for the annual pay round and one for your increment to the next pay band (until you reached the top of that banding of course). It was something the general public was blissfully unaware of in my experience. Is that still the case today?


Kind of, but probably a lot more caveated than it was 20 years ago. Whereby any inflationary pay rise would automatically be calculated from the start of the financial year, incremental increases take effect on the anniversary of you starting that job role. However, that isn't automatic: it is all dependant on the employee meeting all the targets set out in their previous performance review. At least that's the case here at the Royal Devon & Exeter: I suspect it isn't that much different at other Trusts up and down the country.

Re: Nurses pay

Posted: 15:39 05 Mar 2021
by Martyn
Not only do they deserve a credible and respectable pay rise (not 1%, not 5%, not 10%), but better.

They also deserve a one off ‘Bonus’, payment for the incredible, work, and bravery last year, which they did for ALL of us.

Their mental state, must be ‘shot to pieces’, at the moment, what they went thru last year, and now to suffer further worry, and to be offered a paltry 1%, in a ‘kick in the teeth’, Johnson et al, you should be totally ashamed and embarrassed. It is disgraceful.

They seem to find the money, for their friends for NHS contracts !!