How about Jimmy Spencer?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The Mansfield fans believe Jimmy Spencer will be released in January as manager Steve Evans reshapes his squad plus Spencer isn't getting much game time.

I would have Spencer back as back-up to Ryan Taylor.
He plays the lone striker very well, we know the main striker such as Taylor will never score many goals but it's the overall contribution to the team that matters; holding up the ball and laying it off and Spencer was excellent at doing that.

I doubt if we could afford a direct replacement for Taylor so as a back-up Spencer would be within our wage structure and Adams has a habit of signing players who he has worked with before.

Yay or nay?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nay.

I’d like for us to try for someone better or atleast equal to Taylor.

Difficult I know but Jimmy coming back wouldn’t fill the boots in Taylor’s absence.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Nay, we don't need a striker who was slightly above average in L2. I think our main priority should be a pacey striker who can play off of Taylor (but who can also play as part of a front 3).

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Definite no

Nov 18, 2011
As good as Taylor is we should be signing players who will compete for starting spots and not players who will clearly be back ups.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Would be happy with it. He's a good option. Steve Evans has always praised him and been very complimentary about him so it suggests it's more that he doesn't fit the system there. He does here.

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
Nay for me, judging on how ineffective he was at Doncaster away last season- not what we want for LG 1 IMHO. Simon Church warming the bench at Scunny, might be a better option as much needed back up to Taylor.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Had the very same thought yesterday weirdly - great minds think alike PL2!

I agree he would be a good solid backup to Taylor. We know he can hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Tynan One Nil":2nb1kvl0 said:
Nay for me, judging on how ineffective he was at Doncaster away last season
Was only his third game after returning from a long term injury. As it happens though, I and everyone I spoke to at the game completely disagreed with that.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Thought he was good for us last season and was quite disappointed to see him released.

Granted he's not quite Taylor's level but would be all for bringing him back.

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":2tadeb7k said:
The Mansfield fans believe Jimmy Spencer will be released in January as manager Steve Evans reshapes his squad plus Spencer isn't getting much game time.

I would have Spencer back as back-up to Ryan Taylor.
He plays the lone striker very well, we know the main striker such as Taylor will never score many goals but it's the overall contribution to the team that matters; holding up the ball and laying it off and Spencer was excellent at doing that.

I doubt if we could afford a direct replacement for Taylor so as a back-up Spencer would be within our wage structure and Adams has a habit of signing players who he has worked with before.

Yay or nay?

Yes for me, we should never have released him. Get rid of Blissett, forget JJ up front. Taylor up front, if injured then Spencer.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
It's a Yes from me. He plays the lone striker role better than anyone currently at the club bar Ryan Taylor so your not taking a punt on a new signing adapting to the role and would be happy, hopefully, with a back up role. Matthews signing is great news with Letheren as back up, Toums is going to be the tough one to replace if he leaves as he is the vital cog in midfield that allows Carey and the rejuvenated Lameiras to play around him.