Paul Cook in the tunnel | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Paul Cook in the tunnel

Oct 24, 2010
It's ironic that Guardiola has recently been demanding more protection for his players yet makes such a fuss over the sending off for what was a reckless, dangerous challenge and a clear red card. It's as if he is saying my multi- million pound superstars must be protected but it's OK to kick the sh#t out of lower league journeymen.

Sep 19, 2015
Even from watching the very little elite level football that I do, you can quite clearly see the difference in tolerance levels from players and referees alike when it comes to the correct amount of physical contact aloud these days. The game pretty much becomes a different sport the higher up the pyramid you go.

Long live, lower league, physical, football!!

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I really donā€™t know what to make of Paul Cook. Thereā€™s no doubt that heā€™s been the pantomime villain whenever we've played Pompey in the last couple of seasons. Who can forget him squaring up to Wottsie in the Play-Off Semi at Fratton Park? And there was real animosity between him and Adams during the various matches. Yet when heā€™s interviewed after the match it's as if he goes out of his way to compliment the opposition and say nice things about them. The same was true after Wigan came to Home Park and his Monday post-match piece on the Beeb was fulsome in praise of Pep Guardiola and his team. Plus I seem to remember him going around to all of the Argyle players after one of our high velocity Pompey games (it might have been the second leg of the Play-Offs at Home Park?) and shaking them by the hand. Is there a really horrible person in there trying to pull the wool over our eyes by insincerely saying nice things when it doesnā€™t matter or is Cook a reasonable bloke most of the time but turns into a monster when the whistle blows - like a lot of us?

N

NorfolkGreen

I agreed with whoever said that Peps behaviour would not be tolerated if it wasnā€™t by a less high profile manager though.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
esmer":27o7h5ga said:
It's ironic that Guardiola has recently been demanding more protection for his players yet makes such a fuss over the sending off for what was a reckless, dangerous challenge and a clear red card. It's as if he is saying my multi- million pound superstars must be protected but it's OK to kick the sh#t out of lower league journeymen.

Don't agree with that. I disagree it was reckless and dangerous. In today's football I'd say a red, however a number of years ago when football was perhaps more enjoyable it is a good strong challenge.

Your last comment is the most ironic because Wigan made what you call "reckless and dangerous" tackles on Man City players and got away with it. It seemed more like you can get away with it if you are a lower league footballer!

I actually like Man City and Guardiola.

The club have invested a lot in Manchester, also heavily in youth and infrastructure.