Sunderland playing Accrington next season | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunderland playing Accrington next season

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Brussels Bureaucrat":3qzsx3o1 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3qzsx3o1 said:
Apparently Jack Rodwell has a relegation clause in his contract but will still be earning £44,000 per week in L1

Who still says that parachute payments are needed after falling out of the PL?

That's weird, I thought he didn't have a relegation clause from Premier League to the Championship hence why he's still on £70k at the moment. Surely he hasn't signed a new contract this year? Prepared to be corrected if I've misremembered (which I probably have)!

Some details here.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news ... e-20180421

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Brussels Bureaucrat":2y2r8hi0 said:
Sunderland haven't played a league game against Accrington since 1894. They lost their last six games against them.

Admittedly the modern Accrington Stanley is a different club to the one they lost to all those years ago, but it's still a good stat.
I was surprised to see that the pre-1894 club was a different one again to the Accrington Stanley that went bust in 1962. Indeed, the "Stanley" bit did not appear until they entered the Football League in the 1920/21 season. Their last game in the Football League in 1962 was at home to Crewe and there were two Argyle "connections". Frank Lord scored three for Crewe - two years later he arrived at HP. And in the Stanley side was a lad called Mike Ferguson, born in Burnley but who was on the Argyle groundstaff during the late 50s.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Lundan Cabbie":vrg15pc3 said:
Apparently Jack Rodwell has a relegation clause in his contract but will still be earning £44,000 per week in L1

Sunderland have got themselves in to this situation through poor ownership and mismanagement. It happens in lower divisions all the time and those clubs don't receive parachute payments. Why should Sunderland?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Argy1e":7wu0gj2s said:
Lundan Cabbie":7wu0gj2s said:

Sunderland have got themselves in to this situation through poor ownership and mismanagement. It happens in lower divisions all the time and those clubs don't receive parachute payments. Why should Sunderland?

Well because when a Premier League team they took out an insurance policy against relegation which is what parachute payments are. To Premier League clubs they are very sensible.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":y9pl03p4 said:
Argy1e":y9pl03p4 said:
Lundan Cabbie":y9pl03p4 said:

Well because when a Premier League team they took out an insurance policy against relegation which is what parachute payments are. To Premier League clubs they are very sensible.
I had really thought until I read this that the PL introduced parachute payments to cushion the blow for their former members that can fall on hard times in the Championship. I did not realise it was down to clubs to insure against relegation themselves.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":340h2ey9 said:
Lundan Cabbie":340h2ey9 said:
Argy1e":340h2ey9 said:
Lundan Cabbie":340h2ey9 said:

I had really thought until I read this that the PL introduced parachute payments to cushion the blow for their former members that can fall on hard times in the Championship. I did not realise it was down to clubs to insure against relegation themselves.

Maybe I didn’t post it clearly.

Yes it is designed to cushion the blow and it is in that sense as to why it is an insurance policy. Clubs collectively put aside finance for the scheme before they divvy the money amongst the member clubs. They don’t individually contribute but Sunderland’s vote at the time to approve the amounts paid to clubs was worth the same as Man United’s vote despite the likelihood of need being miles apart.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Lundan Cabbie":aarpqg0k said:
memory man":aarpqg0k said:
Argy1e":aarpqg0k said:

Maybe I didn’t post it clearly.

Yes it is designed to cushion the blow and it is in that sense as to why it is an insurance policy. Clubs collectively put aside finance for the scheme before they divvy the money amongst the member clubs. They don’t individually contribute but Sunderland’s vote at the time to approve the amounts paid to clubs was worth the same as Man United’s vote despite the likelihood of need being miles apart.
Thanks - every day is a learning day.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Chesterfield have been relegated from League Two. Feel a bit sorry for them; I've always thought they have a small part in Argyle's history after that amazing 7-0 in 2004 when we broke the Football League scoring record for being the quickest to five goals in a game. Current Chesterfield captain Ian Evatt actually played that day.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
cheshiregreen":g3vqzqxt said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":g3vqzqxt said:
Lundan Cabbie":g3vqzqxt said:

That's weird, I thought he didn't have a relegation clause from Premier League to the Championship hence why he's still on £70k at the moment. Surely he hasn't signed a new contract this year? Prepared to be corrected if I've misremembered (which I probably have)!

Some details here.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news ... e-20180421

More on Rodwell.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43905840

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
So Rodwell was on £70k in the PL and the same in the Championship. Entering the final year he had a clause that reduced it to £44k if he hadnt met certain criteria (presumably number of games). He doesnt want to move, why would he he wont get £44k elsewhere, but now he is going to picking up his salary in L1. Crazy! That must be close to our squads weekly wage combined!

Sunderland have tried to offload him but to no avail. Wonder what he plans on doing next summer?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Adam_R":19a9z7if said:
So Rodwell was on £70k in the PL and the same in the Championship. Entering the final year he had a clause that reduced it to £44k if he hadnt met certain criteria (presumably number of games). He doesnt want to move, why would he he wont get £44k elsewhere, but now he is going to picking up his salary in L1. Crazy! That must be close to our squads weekly wage combined!

Sunderland have tried to offload him but to no avail. Wonder what he plans on doing next summer?
Not quite. All Sunderland players had a 40% wage drop after relegation from the Premier League, only Jack Rodwell for some reason had the option to defer it a year.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Coleman says Roswell doesn’t want to pay or Sunderland and he doesn’t know where he is etc. Surely that’s a breech of contract not making himself available or team selection?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Tugboat":32t9tvj1 said:
Coleman says Roswell doesn’t want to pay or Sunderland and he doesn’t know where he is etc. Surely that’s a breech of contract not making himself available or team selection?
Gordon Taylor would doubtless disagree.

A

andyr1963

Tugboat":1wq1nnw4 said:

Coleman's quote "I don't know where he is" refers to Roswell's mental state rather than his physical whereabouts. That was made clear at the original interview, but seems to have been lost in reporting. So definitely no breach of contract.

An awful club getting their just deserts. I wish Chris Coleman all the best on cleaning up the club and getting them back on track, but until then I'll revel in their fall from grace.

Heres's hoping for an Accrington Stanley "double" over them. :thumbs: