Graham Carey (signs for CSKA Sofia - confirmed) | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Graham Carey (signs for CSKA Sofia - confirmed)

Aug 6, 2010
:iagree: :iagree:
HC Green":30toe05h said:
Just wonder if all the abuse he got at Accrington had something to do with his decision
Spot on HC, me and my wife think the same. The look of bewilderment and dismay on his face as he prepared to take a free kick in front of argyle supporters said it all. He was being barracked from the stand plus some argyle supporters only five or six yards from him were leaning over the barrier shouting abuse and giving him impolite hand gestures and this coming after being barracked at Gillingham away so maybe he thought he had had enough. I don't know if it did or not but it can't have helped.
Good luck Graham in your future career and thanks for some wonderful footballing memories

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep, I've never heard anything as rancid in my time of sporting Argyle.

Foxy was visibly upset after the game and I heard something at Eddy which will remain with me forever.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
IJN":jhsg2emv said:
Yep, I've never heard anything as rancid in my time of sporting Argyle.

Foxy was visibly upset after the game and I heard something at Eddy which will remain with me forever.

It's sad that we have a minority among our fanbase that can stoop to such lows Ian. GC10 gave his all for Argyle over the past 4 years, for him to be abused by a section of Argyle's support beggars belief. Given what Eddy has been through over the past few years it astonishes me even more that he would be abused by those very same fans who were wishing him well during the dark days. If only we could have kept hold of the likes of GC10 and Eddy, and got rid of the idiots among our fanbase instead.

Over the past 4 years Graham has given us some fantastic memories, as sad as it is to see him go you also can't blame him, the chance to play in Europe or playing against Stevenage and Cambridge, no brainer really. All the best GC10, you will always get a warm welcome from true Argyle fans.

May 7, 2019
There aren't many teams in League Two (the fourth tier of English football) who can attract and retain a player of Carey's quality. The thing I liked about the man was that he possessed undoubted skill, but also backed it up with work-rate and effort on the pitch.

I'm sorry to see Carey go as Argyle rarely have players who have Carey's quality in being able to strike a ball, either shooting from outside the box, or from set-pieces. I also think he would have fitted it well to Lowe's style of football. We may not have seen the best of Carey under Adams' management style and tactics. Ultimately however, it does free up some salary space to attract more players who will help Argyle to do well in League Two.

Thank you for some fantastic memories, Graham. You leave Argyle with my best wishes. I wonder if I might see Carey in the Europa League on the telly next season?

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
Graham Carey - One of Argyle's Greats

The reason he will be remembered so fondly at Home Park is not just the numbers but because he reminded Argyle fans what football could be. He reminded us that, despite the depression of the administration period before him, football could be beautiful. Argyle fans needed inspiration, they needed belief, and in Graham Carey they found that.

Aug 5, 2016
Kentishgreen":1s7yhmxd said:
To be sure it is all about opinions but it’s difficult to equate someone whose never played in the Championship, or equivalent, with those that did. Anyway we’ll see how he gets on in Europe. I hope it works out for him.

It is also difficult to argue Buzsaky, Halmosi or Nalis was better than Carey when they never scored 49 goals with some unbelievable borderline world-class goals and assists among them. Buz had a couple, the QPR goal and two free kicks against Norwich, but Carey's youtube highlights in a green shirt alone is spectacular. You can enjoy a beer with a video of his contributions back to back.

If it is so easy to score from 40+ yards against Millwall, why are Grealish and Hourihane and the likes not doing it? The beautiful volley against Blackpool. Hardly Sunday league opposition is it?

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":2jzph169 said:
Kentishgreen":2jzph169 said:
To be sure it is all about opinions but it’s difficult to equate someone whose never played in the Championship, or equivalent, with those that did. Anyway we’ll see how he gets on in Europe. I hope it works out for him.

It is also difficult to argue Buzsaky, Halmosi or Nalis was better than Carey when they never scored 49 goals with some unbelievable borderline world-class goals and assists among them. Buz had a couple, the QPR goal and two free kicks against Norwich, but Carey's youtube highlights in a green shirt alone is spectacular. You can enjoy a beer with a video of his contributions back to back.

If it is so easy to score from 40+ yards against Millwall, why are Grealish and Hourihane and the likes not doing it? The beautiful volley against Blackpool. Hardly Sunday league opposition is it?[/quote

World class goals against Mansfield etc: :funny: :funny: :funny: Have a word with yourself

Sep 6, 2006
TheBoldman":26rp65nq said:
There aren't many teams in League Two (the fourth tier of English football) who can attract and retain a player of Carey's quality. The thing I liked about the man was that he possessed undoubted skill, but also backed it up with work-rate and effort on the pitch.

I'm sorry to see Carey go as Argyle rarely have players who have Carey's quality in being able to strike a ball, either shooting from outside the box, or from set-pieces. I also think he would have fitted it well to Lowe's style of football. We may not have seen the best of Carey under Adams' management style and tactics. Ultimately however, it does free up some salary space to attract more players who will help Argyle to do well in League Two.

Thank you for some fantastic memories, Graham. You leave Argyle with my best wishes. I wonder if I might see Carey in the Europa League on the telly next season?

More likely on the subs bench!

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":apgkfmj6 said:
World class goals against Mansfield etc: :funny: :funny: :funny: Have a word with yourself

You have hit the nail on the head. The same goals and strikes against better opposition and Carey would have been the darling of Sky Sports and MoTD.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Thanks for the last 4 years GC10 hope that you enjoy your time at CSKA
Not sure what standard of football is like in Bulgaria where CSKA only had 7,300 at their last game

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's not going well for Carey. CSKA Sofia were beaten 3-1 at home on Saturday in what is described as a shock result in front of a 1,600 crowd, Carey was subbed at half-time.
The manager was replaced today due to poor results, Ljupko Petrović stepped up from the coaching staff to be the new manager.

May 22, 2006
#bringhimhome

CSKA are now on their 22nd manager since January 2010.

I knew the name sounded familiar and then I remembered that they're notorious for instability. Potentially a big club in that part of the world, unfortunately they're more or less run by the ultras. Their unswerving belief that CSKA should be winning everything has given them a quite unique sense of entitlement and an impatience which has led to a turnover of staff that would impress Barry Fry.

Sadly for Carey it looks as though his dream move may turn out to be a nightmare. I note with interest that one Cillian Sheridan moved to the very same club, but his career suffered when, surprise surprise, there was a sudden change of manager. The man who signed Carey was himself only appointed on May 3rd.

Hope it does work out for him.

Nov 18, 2011
Given it was quite an unorthodox move I've been following Carey since he moved to Sofia.
It appears that fears that a new manager would mean less game time for Carey have been realised and Graham has mainly been warming the bench:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/graham- ... eler/80339

It's been pointed out that Carey would have been fantastic in this Argyle side this season, perhaps if he continues to not play for CSKA we have a chance of getting him back in the winter?