£75m Van Dijk to Liverpool

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Currency in football doesn’t have a true value anymore.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tugboat":3qa7fe7t said:

It's still relative to income though. However, whether Liverpool have spent wisely I will let time give the answer.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Lundan Cabbie":1q5e2e63 said:
Tugboat":1q5e2e63 said:

It's still relative to income though. However, whether Liverpool have spent wisely I will let time give the answer.

Where do you go from paying £75 million pound for a central defender who isn’t even regarded as world class?

It’s the ugly side of football that I absolutely detest.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tugboat":1fizb5nz said:
Lundan Cabbie":1fizb5nz said:
Tugboat":1fizb5nz said:

Where do you go from paying £75 million pound for a central defender who isn’t even regarded as world class?

It's 25% of their £300m turnover. The same as if Argyle were shelling out a million and half on a player. Yes it is steep but it's not that particularly outrageous for LFC, nor would £1.5m be for Argyle.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Lundan Cabbie":31rcud82 said:
Tugboat":31rcud82 said:
Lundan Cabbie":31rcud82 said:
Tugboat":31rcud82 said:

It's 25% of their £300m turnover. The same as if Argyle were shelling out a million and half on a player. Yes it is steep but it's not that particularly outrageous for LFC, nor would £1.5m be for Argyle.

On a player worth £700k for Argyle

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tugboat":x3lae86o said:
Lundan Cabbie":x3lae86o said:
Lundan Cabbie":x3lae86o said:

On a player worth £700k for Argyle

Fair play to Southampton in not letting the bigger club bully them into a price

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Lundan Cabbie":3u3fv38e said:
Tugboat":3u3fv38e said:
Lundan Cabbie":3u3fv38e said:
Tugboat":3u3fv38e said:

I think the days of Argyle forking out £1.5m for a player are still a long way away.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
And that’s the worry, even £1.5 million wouldn’t get you a lot.

We’d only realistically manage by doing what we did last time round by going for a mix of relatively unknown quality and giving them a decent platform to resurrect there careers, young exciting loans and the experienced old boys that are winding down.

The Jimmy Abdou’s, the SEB’s, Halmosis, Timar’s, Nalis’s, Hayles and Sinclair's.

Another Gary Penrice would also be nice

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Tugboat":2ojz5gp0 said:

We’d only realistically manage by doing what we did last time round by going for a mix of relatively unknown quality and giving them a decent platform to resurrect there careers, young exciting loans and the experienced old boys that are winding down.

The Jimmy Abdou’s, the SEB’s, Halmosis, Timar’s, Nalis’s, Hayles and Sinclair's.

You need to be lucky with any transfer. So much can go wrong from serious injury to them just not coming up to expectation. There was a lot right in that list above but they still only could deliver mid table.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Lundan Cabbie":1wtcgjgj said:
Tugboat":1wtcgjgj said:

You need to be lucky with any transfer. So much can go wrong from serious injury to them just not coming up to expectation. There was a lot right in that list above but they still only could deliver mid table.

We did get up to 4th at one point :thumbs:

Being realistic I think mid table championship is the top end of our ambition levels with the current setup and something I would take all day long.