Jake Livermore and West Ham fan | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jake Livermore and West Ham fan

Jan 20, 2004
How low can football fans go ? After being taunted by a West Ham fan over the death of his baby son Jake Livermore was prevented, by stewards and members of the crowd, from responding in the way understandably a lot of fathers would, by trying to get to the individual concerned.

If he had actually got to the creep and laid a finger on him he would have faced possibly a fine and lenghty ban from the football authorities, plus criminal charges for assault.

Yet the West Ham fan (if any action was taken at all) would probably face a football ground banning order of some sort at the most.

Before any body says 'We pay our money' 'Free speach' 'They are professional footballers they put themselves up for abuse' No they don't. They are there to entertain is with their football.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
There is no justification for something like that.

I remember a few years ago we were playing Excretia in the league and some drunk guy in front of me was chanting "where's your number nine" after the death of Adam Stansfield.

Why some people feel it's appropriate to bring up emotional and non football related things like that I don't know. Maybe they think they're big as they know there's nothing the player can do and the worst that will happen is they'll get banned (and I figure the ban is really difficult to enforce if someone else buys them a ticket).

Every match we get the speech about things being offences under whatever football act it is but it doesn't seem to deter anyone. The Oldham (or Gillingham) match someone even came on the pitch and incredibly none of the stewards noticed until he got back over the fence and half way down one of the tunnels.

These people are likely one-time supporters, only there when they feel like it/a local derby, so it doesn't massively effect them getting banned - and maybe like that guy on facebook enjoy being the "big guy" and their moment of fame.

There's no line of business where you should be expected to be exposed to abuse from "customers" like that. Unfortunately football still attracts the thugs and idiots who either have too much to drink of just want to show off to their mates.

Or you get complete muppets like the Walsall fan on Saturday who thought he was cool kicking the ball as far away from the corner as possible, only to look like an imbecile in front of his compatriots.

It's a sport at the end of the day, players come on the pitch to show off their skills and try to win the game and we supporters to go watch and enjoy (hopefully) the spectacle.

Sep 25, 2010
As a football referee, and linesman, we take a heck of a lot abuse. Almost every game,

But after 30 odd years officiating, a certain incident comes to mind, I was doing a line in a Sunday morning cup final, when I witnessed a player spit at another player, a truly disgusting thing, I called the referee over and of course the player was sent off. Behind me in the crowd, a women, yes a women, shouted at me, ' Lino I hope your kids get cancer', , I looked around and this 'person', was smirking at me, and to my horror, she had her own children with her, I called the referee over, and said to him, I would not be carrying on , until she was a ejected from the ground, she was duly ejected.

Aug 3, 2017
Iā€™m a huge advocate of free speech, but it has to be appropriate. Yeah, shout ā€˜snap his ankleā€™, ā€˜bring the fĀ£&@3r downā€™ but to go to such a low level...i find it disgusting.

That man no doubt thinks every singles day about an innocent child he never got to see grow up. I think the guy is lucky the fans and stewards held Livermore back because if heā€™d have hit him the ā€œjusticeā€ system would have served the instigator, not Livermore.

I truly hope the FA do not fine him.

May 16, 2016
Unfortunately, a bit like some of the abuse and insults I've seen dished out on Facebook amongst others, it's considered 'banter' by some people.

N

NorfolkGreen

My Dad went to an Argyle reserve game decades ago and a woman said to the ref ā€œref youā€™re a bā€™stardā€, the ref looked over to her and said ā€œhello Mum I didnā€™t see you thereā€.

I have heard players over the last few hours say theyā€™d expect abuse, but should they really expect it, is it entirely necessary and what happened at West Ham was disgusting.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Isondil":2327udfc said:
Iā€™m a huge advocate of free speech.

You may well be but there is no such thing.

Also with any right, there comes responsibility and their oxygen theif should be death with by other West Ham fans, anyone that says something like that, or that shouted what they did to Martyn above, should expect to be dealt with severely, whether that be by the justice system or by decent people who object to anyone shouting/saying such a thing.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Anti-social behaviour is everywhere these days. Does anything get done about it? I used the subway by Charles Cross police station yesterday - litter and graffiti everywhere.

Sep 28, 2003
London
Isondil":38zhgi1k said:
I think the guy is lucky the fans and stewards held Livermore back because if heā€™d have hit him the ā€œjusticeā€ system would have served the instigator, not Livermore.

...people like to say stuff like this but in my experience it's really not the case.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Livermore has received a reminder that he shouldn't go in amongst the fans and no further action. Common sense prevails.

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":35jdnhus said:
Livermore has received a reminder that he shouldn't go in amongst the fans and no further action. Common sense prevails.
If Livermore had received any kind of punishment for this there would have been uproar.