Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Former Barnsley owner passes away, a real shame. His reign sounds eerily similar to James Brent's, especially the 'reluctant custodian' and success on the pitch.

In September 2017 he wrote a poignant letter to supporters, published in the match programme for an EFL Cup tie against Derby County, in which he acknowledged he was "living on borrowed time".

He said: "For much of the time since I became the club's buyer of last resort, I allowed others to run the club, fearing that I did not know enough to win the respect and supporter of the 'football people'.

"It is ironic therefore that we enjoyed one of our most successful periods when I did take up the mantle ending in two successful visits to Wembley.

"Most people realise I was a reluctant custodian but what has made it bearable against the occasional cruelty of the internet world is the kindness shown to me by so many fans on a personal basis.

"People are not shy in coming forward and telling me they appreciate my efforts, even if I have fallen short of their aspirations."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42776060