Mellor off to Wigan/Blackburn | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mellor off to Wigan/Blackburn

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I wonder if he's been used at right midfield a lot this year, as he was when Blackpool beat us in September.

For someone who is prone to defensive errors, it certainly seemed like a good move to play him higher up the pitch.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Always liked him, he had a few mistakes in him but he gave us extra attacking prowess.

Nov 18, 2011
He's a great example of a player who's a great wing back but not such a great full back. The extra security of 3 centre backs help to cover his defensive brain farts.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":2la8kici said:
Always liked him, he had a few mistakes in him but he gave us extra attacking prowess.

Liked him too. Funny how his 'mistakes' coincided with our others players not playing well! :think:

They were described as having a bad day whilst he was pilloried for being total rubbish! Go figure! :doh:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
IJN":1852kjvo said:

He certainly did provide an added attacking dimension. He possessed that little trick of his, cutting inside and letting fly with his left foot on goal. He had his weaknesses but neither Threlfeld nor Miller had that attacking extra amd I would love to see him back. Sadly, I think he has probably got a good menory.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Mellor and Tanner were the only players we "let go" that I would have liked to have seen stay.

Tanner was probably an impact/bench player so may not have wanted that so understood him going.

Mellor is a great example of be careful what you wish for....for all his defensive errors and lets be honest every one of our defenders has a mistake in him he always added to the attacking threat and we have never replaced that.

Again you don't know what the relationship with the manager was and also whether he was offered a better deal but I am glad he has done well as he was always a 100% player to me.

Mar 14, 2009
He was/is a confidence player.

So when he played well he grew into the game.

However, let’s be honest, as a defender he made some howling mistakes. A bit like Songo. He would have good games but then out of the blue you would concede because he would “switch off”.

I think he could of been converted to a right midfield. He had a goal in him. Good getting forward, but when the opposition slung the ball into our penalty box you didn’t quite know what was gonna happen, and most importantly, nor did he.

Good luck to him though because he has talent, it’s just about him being utilised in the right way by a manager.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think people overcomplicate the Mellor thing, very good right wing back, but a shaky and vulnerable out and out right back when he's got more defensive responsibility. Much better in Sheridan's system than DA's.