Enthusiasm for foreign clubs/English lower league clubs | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Enthusiasm for foreign clubs/English lower league clubs

Following on from the recent Haringey Borough post, I thought it would be interesting to find out which other non-EFL teams Pasotiites have followed as they have moved away from Devon.

When I lived in London, I followed my local amateur club, Alexandra Park FC, in the Southern Amateur League, the league where Spurs began their ascent to the top flight of English football.
As a student in Dublin, I used to watch Bohemians when they played at home mid-week, once witnessing them thrash FC Bate Borisov in a Champions League qualifier.
Since moving to North Yorkshire for work, I tend to watch Pickering Town or Whitby Town (Evo Stick) when thereā€™s no Argyle game on ifollow.

These experiences helped me appreciate two things: 1. the standard of non-league football in northern England is very strong; 2. talking with fans of these clubs about supporting Argyle tended to bring up the words ā€˜big clubā€™ or stories of some friend or other who had played professional football in the 70s or 80s and spent a period on loan at a south west league team.

When I used to play Championship Manager back in the days when this didnā€™t require a twelve-month sabbatical from real life, I used to start off with the lowest-ranked local team I could find, in the hope that after a few seasons the mighty Argyle would come knocking with the opportunity to establish the club as a solid division two side, once Sturrock had moved on to ā€˜greater challengesā€™.

What other non-EFL affiliations have others acquired, and why? What is the match day experience like with these other clubs?

May 22, 2006
Salisbury FC, purely because they were the only team I could go and watch while recovering from agoraphobia.

Fort William. Spent some time up there. One of the most beautiful grounds you'll ever see, but such a hopeless team. 115 goals conceded already this season. No relegation either, so every season is just another series of ass-whoopings. The SFA have given them a 10-point penalty this season because their fans don't suffer enough.

Edit: 116 118.

May 22, 2006
Ham Green":22glbdzi said:
Fort William. Spent some time up there. One of the most beautiful grounds you'll ever see, but such a hopeless team. 115 goals conceded already this season. No relegation either, so every season is just another series of ass-whoopings. The SFA have given them a 10-point penalty this season because their fans don't suffer enough.

Edit: 116 118.

Up to 160 conceded now.

Currently losing 14-1 to the almighty Formartine United. #monthefort

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I lived in Madrid for a while and spent many happy evenings at the Vicente CalderĆ³n, AtlĆ©tico's old stadium. This was during the JesĆŗs Gil years so it was a total madhouse, but it was much more relatable than watching Real's megastars. I haven't been to the Wanda yet but I will definitely go at some point while they've still got such a competitive team under Simeone.

jespafc

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I watched Bohemians of Prague when I lived there for a bit. Mainly because they played in green and white and it was the 'proper' green. I still wear my Bohemians scarf when I go and watch Argyle.

May 5, 2006
I watched Hammarby in Sweden on a few occasions. Nearest team to where my girlfriend (now wife) lived in Stockholm They also play in green and white, a very vibrant green which made the stadium look fantastic when the fans performed. Best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football match. First season following them they got relegated, so I felt at home. I still follow them now back in England.

Bernie Bernbaum

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
My second team is St Pauli who are in the 2. Bundesliga. Went to one of their home games and have been hooked ever since. Kampf gegen rechts!

Brussels Bureaucrat":1w2ralj0 said:
I lived in Madrid for a while and spent many happy evenings at the Vicente CalderĆ³n, AtlĆ©tico's old stadium. This was during the JesĆŗs Gil years so it was a total madhouse, but it was much more relatable than watching Real's megastars. I haven't been to the Wanda yet but I will definitely go at some point while they've still got such a competitive team under Simeone.

My wife's family are all Atleti fans, the Wanda just a few miles from their house in Alcala. I did a tour of the Vicente Calderon a couple of years ago, a fantastic, ramshackle stadium. Not seen a game at the Wanda yet, but toured it a couple of times during construction. Problem is I'm only ever there either in the summer of at Christmas, so there are never any games.

In fact, Atleti are also constructing a brand new training facility literally the other side of the road from my brother-in-law's flat. Looking forward to doing a Bielsa with my binos in a year or two.

My Spanish team is Racing de Santander. We're on our way back!

(Minorly-interesting fact. My sister-in-law follows Real Betis, for no other reason than they have never been very good and they play in green and white. Sounds familiar.

bristolmac":1mxf31ef said:
I watched Hammarby in Sweden on a few occasions. Nearest team to where my girlfriend (now wife) lived in Stockholm They also play in green and white, a very vibrant green which made the stadium look fantastic when the fans performed. Best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a football match. First season following them they got relegated, so I felt at home. I still follow them now back in England.

A really great club. Two of my grandsons are in their junior ranks, and itā€™s one of the best academy set-ups in Europe.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Lived in Madrid from 1986-91 and was lucky enough to borrow a friendā€™s Real Madrid membership card for the 5 seasons I was there. Buyo, Chendo, Gordillo
Michel, Butragueno, Hugo Sanchez...
Remember some great European nights including Gullit, Van Basten and Rijkard playing for Milan

When I lived in other cities for university/work, I was never that fussed about watching the league sides there. Saw Norwich a few times while at UEA, and used to go to the occasional league cup tie at Arsenal when I lived in Tufnell Park as they dropped ticket prices to a tenner, but it seemed a little weird to go in the home end of another league side than Argyle.

Now up in North Yorkshire, I go and watch Knaresborough Town occasionally. No conflict of loyalty, a good standard of football for the level they're playing at, and a friendly set up. Plus a fiver to get in and I can walk there from my house.

M

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
My wife supports Carlisle so we've been to a few of their games. I like them actually, as they are sort of a northern version of Argyle, being geographically remote with a passionate fan base.

I am a lifelong Newcastle United supporter and also support my local side Wimborne Town, who are also known as the magpies.

I'm also (thanks to Argyle) a sucker for any team that plays in green, so have a soft spot for Celtic, Yeovil Town, Panathanaikos and so on!!!

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
One of my best friends is a committee member for Haddington Athletic (I know the club secretary too), in the East of Scotland Football League, so they're my adopted "second" team. I've even got one of their football shirts....

I lived in South Korea for two years and followed Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (I know :facepalm: ) in a world cup stadium from 2002. Capacity 40,000, average attendance 10,000. Organised chanting, choreagraphed by a man not watching any of the football.... They did however play in green, albeit like our bright away kit of a couple of years ago. Y.know, lime green.

This season I am a season ticket holder at Dijon FCO in France's Ligue 1. The quality of football is good, like a top championship club. But when you see PSG or Lyon it's a completely different class. The club are a bit like Argyle, average attendances of 10,000, redeveloping their ground. I'm going tonight to watch a league match against St Etienne. The atmosphere is a bit flat, even when they're doing well. They too have orchestrated chanting and singing. I can't stand it, there is no spontaneity.

Back home to watch Argyle next month, I can't wait.