BCFC Tonight Attendance | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

BCFC Tonight Attendance

May 16, 2016
Just watched the Arsenal game. Checked the Bristol City game on the BBC and was surprised to see that only 13,747 turned up to see them progress to the 5th Round of the FA Cup.

No idea of ticket prices, seating restrictions or how many Bolton Fans could be bothered, but genuinely surprised at the turn out.

D

Diddyman 1983

Sadly a reflection of how little the FA Cup means to most teams and their fans now. Second string XI's and half empty stadiums have become the norm, and the fact that pundits and commentators regularly spew out that "magic of the cup" cliché and are constantly in denial about the competition having lost its appeal just proves what it has become in more recent years. It's sad to see this once great competition being flogged like a dead horse each year but it's just the way that football and its priorities have evolved.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Diddyman 1983":io4eucov said:
Sadly a reflection of how little the FA Cup means to most teams and their fans now. Second string XI's and half empty stadiums have become the norm, and the fact that pundits and commentators regularly spew out that "magic of the cup" cliché and are constantly in denial about the competition having lost its appeal just proves what it has become in more recent years. It's sad to see this once great competition being flogged like a dead horse each year but it's just the way that football and its priorities have evolved.

Add to that the FA's abandonment of key traditions such as a 3.00pm kick off and it has devalued this once great competition.

In the past I remember FA Cup final day being a whole day experience. Coverage and build up began in the morning and almost everything was televised. Nowadays it's a 5.00pm kick off, stuck on Sky. I used to be able to name all the winners from the past 15-20 years, now I couldn't tell you who won the past 5.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I'm 42. For my entire life people have been fretting about the declining pull of the FA Cup. But as I remember, getting drawn against a team from the same division as you in a cup competition was always boring. Bristol City would have killed for a 13,000 attendance in any competition a few years ago. Of course being drawn against a big team is exciting, but the reality has always been that most teams get a really boring draw, the ground is half empty, and everyone goes back to worrying about not getting relegated or whatever.

Jan 29, 2010
I always found it a bit odd that in the Checkatrade Trophy you have to play a certain amount of players that featured in your last game, and yet in the FA cup the top teams can pretty much do as they please. Stinks really !!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jespafc":vhq5k2vt said:
Diddyman 1983":vhq5k2vt said:

Add to that the FA's abandonment of key traditions such as a 3.00pm kick off and it has devalued this once great competition.

In the past I remember FA Cup final day being a whole day experience. Coverage and build up began in the morning and almost everything was televised. Nowadays it's a 5.00pm kick off, stuck on Sky. I used to be able to name all the winners from the past 15-20 years, now I couldn't tell you who won the past 5.

Poor old Sky get blamed for everything. Half the Fourth Round ties have been moved for TV coverage somewhere in the world but not one for Sky.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Poor old Sky?!

The Bristol attendance seems pretty good to me. It's two Championship teams in the fourth round, i.e. only two games in. Not a glamour tie by anyone's standards.

Aug 5, 2012
Gravesend - Kent
Sky haven't covered the FA Cup for some years now. The live games for the UK are split between BT and the BBC. The only people who are to blame for the decline in the competition is the FA and, for me, it started when they made the semi-finalists play at Wembley. It's the FA who have the power to run their competition however they see fit and if the power of the Premier League and the love of more money trump's tradition then so be it.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
There is a reason why the top teams generally dominate.

It will be Man C v Chelsea/Man U unless they draw each other at some point.

I mean think we're the next ranked team in it (and we made a number of changes in the last round...)