PSG V Utd | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

PSG V Utd

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Couldn't have wrote that. The calm head on Marcus Rashford.

Surely Solskjær has secured the job.

Sep 6, 2006
Never a pen in a million years. Accidental. Var is supposed to improve decision making not make it worse.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Brussels Bureaucrat":29aotjea said:
I can't stand Man Utd but it is quite funny to see PSG bottle it yet again. United's luck can't hold for much longer though, they've got away with quite a few ropey performances now.

You could say they had a fair few 'ropey' performances under Sir Alex.

It's more than luck.

Solskjær & Phelan have been terrific for them.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
When I were a lad I was given to believe there was "no such thing as accidental handball in the penalty area". When did that change ?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
TBF, United rode their luck at times. Lukaku's first goal was well taken from a tight angle, but PGM's equaliser was well played and down to poor defending. But then Lukaku's second was down to an uncharacteristic mistake by Buffon who spilled the ball. I think the jury is out over the final penalty (I can see the arguments from both sides, TBF, and did nothing to change my mind over my dislike of VAR) but for Neymar to complain about it post-game is a tad rich as he's one of the biggest effin' cheats in the game with his continual rolling around every other game as if he's been shot. That aside, Rashford showed balls the side of watermelons to keep his cool and dispatch the pen the way he did - even if it was obvious from the way he approached the ball where he intended to put it. Buffon had no chance of getting to that.

That all aside, with 10 first players out and a bench full of teenagers (one back to school tomorrow) that was a phenominal performance by United, even if they needed a bit of luck at times. But then how many times have we said about that when Fergie was in charge? I like OGS: he clearly understands the Man Utd mentality, and as an ex-player knows how United *should* be playing. I'd be very surprised if he didn't get the job full time.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":88kdg7of said:
Never a pen in a million years. Accidental. Var is supposed to improve decision making not make it worse.

This is very subjective so to rule it out EVER being a pen is a bit blinkered. I accept your interpretation though.

Another interpretation. I know the defender didn’t intend to handle the ball but to jump and turn your back IS a deliberate action. That deliberate action meant his arm propelled the ball. Had he not jumped and turned his back the ball wouldn’t have hit his arm. Therefore I can accept the referee awarding the pen.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":2tbvh6wg said:
Balham_Green":2tbvh6wg said:

This is very subjective so to rule it out EVER being a pen is a bit blinkered. I accept your interpretation though.

Another interpretation. I know the defender didn’t intend to handle the ball but to jump and turn your back IS a deliberate action. That deliberate action meant his arm propelled the ball. Had he not jumped and turned his back the ball wouldn’t have hit his arm. Therefore I can accept the referee awarding the pen.

His arm DIDNT propel the ball. It just hit it. It was accidental as you say so not a penalty. Ever!

Sep 6, 2006
Dreamgreen":331knir5 said:
When I were a lad I was given to believe there was "no such thing as accidental handball in the penalty area". When did that change ?

Whoever your teacher was was wrong. Same rule inside and outside the area. Nothing changed.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2x0donlw said:
Lundan Cabbie":2x0donlw said:
Balham_Green":2x0donlw said:

His arm DIDNT propel the ball. It just hit it. It was accidental as you say so not a penalty. Ever!

It didn’t just hit his arm though. He jumped into it’s path. You can’t accidentally jump.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":xruhvyy7 said:
Balham_Green":xruhvyy7 said:
Lundan Cabbie":xruhvyy7 said:
Balham_Green":xruhvyy7 said:

It didn’t just hit his arm though. He jumped into it’s path. You can’t accidentally jump.

I see what you're saying, but no defender worth their salt doesn't jump when a shot is coming in. If my team conceded a penalty for handball where the defender was standing two metres away from a ball being kicked at 60mph, I'd spend the rest of time consumed with fury. Luckily for the PSG fans they'll probably all be supporting Lyon or Monaco again in ten years time :greensmile:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Brussels Bureaucrat":2qdu704g said:
Lundan Cabbie":2qdu704g said:
Balham_Green":2qdu704g said:
Lundan Cabbie":2qdu704g said:
Balham_Green":2qdu704g said:

I see what you're saying, but no defender worth their salt doesn't jump when a shot is coming in. If my team conceded a penalty for handball where the defender was standing two metres away from a ball being kicked at 60mph, I'd spend the rest of time consumed with fury. Luckily for the PSG fans they'll probably all be supporting Lyon or Monaco again in ten years time :greensmile:

I'm just offering an alternative interpretation and suggesting that both decisions on this occasion can be talked up as being correct.

Those PSG fans would have accepted the decision gleefully had it been at the other end. We can all be guilty of that when it is our team.

Sep 6, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1ijrbuxc said:
Balham_Green":1ijrbuxc said:
Lundan Cabbie":1ijrbuxc said:
Balham_Green":1ijrbuxc said:

So if you jump and it hits your hand its handball now is it? Wouldnt wanted to have played with you as a ref.