✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Pompey beat Sunderland on Penalties 5-4 after a 2-2 draw AET.

A record crowd for the final of that competition.

Sep 13, 2003
Guiri Green":202yj1ng said:
That's one helluva boycott.

Argyle fans would have been the same let's be clear about that. All this drivel about boycotting the tournament but we would have sold out our Wembley allocation so let's not get all high and mighty about it.

And yes I would have gone because I have not been boycotting the Checkatrade.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
The problem with this is that the EFL will take this attendance and add it to the "average" then argue that the tournament is a success and bringing in the U21 teams was a great idea.

Then the next conversation will be: How do we get more attending league games, o here's an idea U21s work for the Checkatrade what about the league too...

Then in walks Shaun Harvey (assuming he gets the head of the PL role) and throws a wodge of cash on the table, next thing we know we have U21s in the league.

May 16, 2016
Clarke_B":5us7hdya said:
Guiri Green":5us7hdya said:
That's one helluva boycott.

Argyle fans would have been the same let's be clear about that. All this drivel about boycotting the tournament but we would have sold out our Wembley allocation so let's not get all high and mighty about it.

And yes I would have gone because I have not been boycotting the Checkatrade.

That's my point. I noted the hypocrisy of the boycott as soon as Wembley calls. Most of those that 'boycotted' the few games we played would not have gone before the inclusion of the Premier Youngsters anyway. It was an easy exercise in having morals. I'm sure the same argument was had amongst the Pompey and Sunderland support, but it appears Wembley won.

I agree, we would have sold most of our allocation should we have got that far.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Two of my friends went on Sunday. One of them is a Chelsea supporter! He came back waving a pompey flag and then agreed that he disagreed with the competition having U21 teams, and could understand why EFL clubs didn't like it.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argylegames":2df9uoso said:
Two of my friends went on Sunday. One of them is a Chelsea supporter! He came back waving a pompey flag and then agreed that he disagreed with the competition having U21 teams, and could understand why EFL clubs didn't like it.

If he came back waving a Pompey flag then he is not a Chelsea supporter!!
What street in Chelsea was he born in? How far is it from where he was born to Stamford Bridge?
If he was born next door or his Dad played for them, then I apologise but I suspect my apology won't be needed!

Jan 3, 2018
I admit I think it’s a crap competition made even worse with the inclusion of the U21. Completely wrong on every level and the recent changes, and their intentions for the future are an insult to the lower divisions. As a season ticket holder at Fratton and as said earlier by one of you guys, I didn’t go to earlier rounds and probably wouldn’t have gone anyway, so wasn’t really boycotting as such. I certainly didn’t agree with the comp since the inclusion but must admit when Wembley came round I was straight in there and couldn’t turn it down. I wouldn’t have gone unless it was against a proper side from league 1 or 2 and that doesn’t justify a change in heart but it was too good an opportunity to turn down. Actually didn’t agree with our manager discarding the fringe players that got us there though (even though we’d have had next to no chance of beating Sunderland with them all in) and I do agree with you that the sell out will now confirm success to those making these rules up.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The battle against the Shaun Harvey Idiot Trophy competition is/was made by fans of lower league clubs concerned about the possible inclusion of B teams into League One and Two, with respect to Portsmouth and Sunderland fans they are two recent Premier League clubs who are on their way back and wouldn't care about the boycott, for them it was a chance of a trophy.

I wouldn't have gone to the final if Argyle had made it.