A Night with Ollie | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

A Night with Ollie

Jul 14, 2005
Ollie was in town tonight at Walkabout for a night of chat about 'all things football' hosted by David Fitzgerald.

Appreciate that when it comes to Ian Holloway, it's a bit like Marmite: love him or hate him, but wanted to reflect on what he shared tonight. He was very candid and open about his views on football - nearly 2000 games as a player and a manager, which I guess qualifies his views.

Lots of chat about the influences on his life - particularly his dad Bill, Gordon Bennett and Gary Penrice - which was really insightful and explained a lot about his approach to football and why he is so passionate.

When it came to the reasons behind his departure from Argyle he focused mainly on his feeling that the Board failed to deliver what they had promised when they appointed him - that the club wanted to continually move forward.

According to Ollie the rot set in when a £1.5 million bid for David Norris was rejected by the Board and because of the interest, he recommended that DN's wages should be doubled from £2k a week to £4k a week as the interest from another club meant he clearly merited the increase.

One particular Board member objected, saying that the other players, who he spoke to a lot, would not be happy and as a result Ollie's recommendation was rejected. The focus, apparently, was on buying the ground, not paying more wages. It was the turning point for Ollie as he felt that the Board was not serious about moving forward on the pitch.

According to Ollie, success on the pitch (potentially Premier League football which he achieved at Blackpool) would have ultimately paid for the ground.

He also said that the close relationship between Paul Stapleton and Paul Sturrock had not helped as Stapleton often referred to PS when it came to players or on pitch issues.

He genuinely seem to regret what happened as a result and accepted that the move to Leicester was a big mistake. He repeatedly praised the Green Army and the strength of the club's following.

He did confirm that he had e-mailed the club after DA's departure looking for an opportunity to make good - but was not one of the candidates interviewed for the job.

He encouraged fans to get behind RL and felt that the club had a great future with a new chairman and new manager.

Jan 27, 2012
It's a shame this event wasn't well publicised. I would have been very interested to hear him speak.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Very strange that it was not publicised.
Even a thread on Pasoti a few days ago would have generated substantial interest.

Sep 25, 2010
Said all along he wasn’t even interviewed.

So all the winning on the polls, meant absolutely nothing, good riddens to him,

Well done the current board for ignoring him, taking the majority fans into context

It was a good job it iwasn’t advertised, as he might have got some real dog’s abuse.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
If I had been there I would have shaken him by the hand and thanked him for building and managing the best and most attractive side I have ever seen. I totally understand why he left at the time, and although Leicester was a mistake, look what he achieved with Blackpool. That could, and should have been us, but the board made the wrong decision at the time Holloway went to them for more money, the first of several catastrophic decisions that were to be our downfall.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
RKB":1tjn5031 said:
If I had been there I would have shaken him by the hand and thanked him for building and managing the best and most attractive side I have ever seen. I totally understand why he left at the time, and although Leicester was a mistake, look what he achieved with Blackpool. That could, and should have been us, but the board made the wrong decision at the time Holloway went to them for more money, the first of several catastrophic decisions that were to be our downfall.
It's easy say pay this pay that... but I agree with you, when I look back at that period, what an opportunity we had .. as a club we didn't grasp the moment. I include the fans In that, as at the time we were playing the best football I can remember, climbing the table but attendances were dropping.
I just hope we get that opportunity again, I get the feeling that SH would go for it.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Martyn":31ls3we0 said:
Said all along he wasn’t even interviewed.

So all the winning on the polls, meant absolutely nothing, good riddens to him,

Well done the current board for ignoring him, taking the majority fans into context

It was a good job it iwasn’t advertised, as he might have got some real dog’s abuse.

Give it a rest you muppet.

Winning all the polls did mean something, that most Argyle fans can forgive an error of judgement that happened over 10 bleddy years ago. That many are willing to give people a second chance to make amends.

"Dogs abuse", "good riddance"; FFS get a grip and move on man...

Jan 21, 2007
I remember Stapleton stating that David Norris was made the Clubs highest-ever paid player when he signed his new contract around that time, which must have been way above the £2k pw mentioned by IH. Considering his status in the game, there's no way that DN would have hung around for so long on that sort of money, so I'd expect that figure was closer the £8k pw mark

Aug 5, 2015
Walkabout was an entirely appropriate venue. What amazes me was that people were persuaded to part with their hard earned cash just to see a snake in the grass when they could see one for free up on Dartmoor anytime

Sep 25, 2010
RKB":1v4n34zp said:

Who said the Board made the wrong decision at the time, (oh I know Hollowords).

I remember the chairman at the time, having a go at Hollowords on many items, not just on one players wagers.

Again, good riddens, you will never manage Argyle again, thankfully, never even got an interview, even after applying for the job.

Well done the current board.

Sep 19, 2015
I still cant believe that people refuse to see that Holloway had the rug swept from under his feet by StapleC***

The way Holloway went about his departure certainly left a sour taste in my mouth at the time, but the fire sale which proceeded after his departure justified his decision completely.

Times move on and I never once wanted Holloway to manage us after Adams departure, I would certainly wish him well in the future though.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He obviously failed to mention that the day he asked for double his wages, and was denied, he left.

That's from someone who was there at the time.

Snake in the grass and liar. :wave:

So glad we didn't even give him the time of day.

Sep 25, 2010
PlymouthCasual":2hylo9jq said:
I still cant believe that people refuse to see that Holloway had the rug swept from under his feet by StapleC***

The way Holloway went about his departure certainly left a sour taste in my mouth at the time, but the fire sale which proceeded after his departure justified his decision completely.

Times move on and I never once wanted Holloway to manage us after Adams departure, I would certainly wish him well in the future though.

Think somebody has been giving you ‘porkies’, he created the situation, the bloke left us for his own good. He followed the money,

As somebody mentioned earlier, he is a complete snake in the grass

A chat in a pub In Plymouth, not advertised in advance, sums it all up.