Penalty!!! Red card?? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Penalty!!! Red card??

Pogleswoody":36blnr4l said:
Just seen David Luiz from Tuesday. Missed tackle (foul) in the box, not dangerous or reckless.
Penalty given.
Why the red card?? :think:

Isnā€™t it because a player fouling an opponent who has only the goalkeeper to beat is an automatic red card? Seems to be the usual result when a foul is committed following a long-ball chase.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
You must remember that the double jeopardy interpretation on denying a goal scoring opportunity is only triggered if the defenders ā€œfoulā€ is a genuine attempt to play the ball. Abraham was bundled to the ground rather than a mistimed tackle. Some were trying to say there was a covering defender but with the keeper already out of the equation, Abrahamā€™s scoring opportunity was massive.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":5qildbsb said:
You must remember that the double jeopardy interpretation on denying a goal scoring opportunity is only triggered if the defenders ā€œfoulā€ is a genuine attempt to play the ball. Abraham was bundled to the ground rather than a mistimed tackle. Some were trying to say there was a covering defender but with the keeper already out of the equation, Abrahamā€™s scoring opportunity was massive.

Fair enough but I can't really keep up with what is 'in' from season to season.

I remember when offside was a player being in front of a defender and gaining an advantage as opposed to a striker who just forgot to cut his toenails before a match!

And a red card was scything through someone in a career ending tackle not leaning too heavily on an attacker.
I really thought the rule was: Luiz never hurt anyone, didn't intend to: take the yellow card, lose a goal to a pen. If they miss the pen? Not his fault. He clearly thought that too, judging by his gestures to the ref.