VAR | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

VAR

Dec 3, 2005
Spurs v Man City

So we have an incident in the penalty area, the Ref says play on, the game carrys on for more then TWO minutes. Then VAR decide it was a penalty!

What the hell would have happened if Spurs had scored in that 2 minutes, would it have been cancelled????

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
djg145":vvxfph5n said:
Spurs v Man City

So we have an incident in the penalty area, the Ref says play on, the game carrys on for more then TWO minutes. Then VAR decide it was a penalty!

What the hell would have happened if Spurs had scored in that 2 minutes, would it have been cancelled????

According to the beeb, if Spurs had scored in that time, it would have been disallowed. If City had scored, however, it would have counted. Bizarre!!

Dec 3, 2005
Lousy_Pint":14cq3oq3 said:
djg145":14cq3oq3 said:
Spurs v Man City

According to the beeb, if Spurs had scored in that time, it would have been disallowed. If City had scored, however, it would have counted. Bizarre!!

This will happen at some point and there will HELL to play.

Mar 23, 2019
djg145":3v2689yq said:
Lousy_Pint":3v2689yq said:
djg145":3v2689yq said:
Spurs v Man City

Happened at the Nations League.

Portugal got a penalty, was brought back and Switzerland got one instead.

VAR is the football destroyer. Complete rubbish. Hopefully it never makes its way into the lower leagues.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think that VAR has a place in football, but not implemented as it is at the moment. I think it would work if the ref could only watch replays in real time and not have the option to freeze and check frame by frame. Give them 30s to decide on the outcome and if they can’t decide if it was a mistake, the original decision stands.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
djg145":1u5j1uyo said:
Lousy_Pint":1u5j1uyo said:
djg145":1u5j1uyo said:
Spurs v Man City

Happened last season in a Prague derby. I think it was Bohemians who scored and it was pulled back for a Slavia penalty, which they scored.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
mervyn":3tth2dmz said:
What I don’t understand is how in American football, a game arguably more complex than ours, their VAR adjudication are almost immediate and it works brilliantly.

But there are fights on every play but they still miss them ;)

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Reported in Twitter that all clubs who have VAR must pay £9,251 a game (split 50/50). So that's clubs like Shrewsbury being fined by the FA for having a match at Liverpool.

Nearly £10k a game is no where near value for money.

(And before anyone says it, yes I know refs and VAR officials need paying etc, just pointing out as this is MANDATED by the FA then they should pick up the tab themselves)

Sep 25, 2010
I would love Argyle to get to the premiership.

But, with the introduction of VAR , and after yesterday’s debacle of decisions, i hope we don’t.

Just scrap, VAR, and leave everything to the on field ref. Decisions DO even themselves out over the season, ok they get some decisions wrong, but that is football. It was also said that a incorrect ref decisions, could cause a club millions or relegation.

Therefore VAR could cause untold relegation to Bournemouth yesterday.

VAR is currently ruining the Premiership, I currently can’t watch a game on Sky, it is a joke.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Lousy_Pint":3uklvry2 said:
djg145":3uklvry2 said:
Spurs v Man City

I know that VAR has caused endless controversy but I don't see anything bizarre about that particular idea. It's the same principle as penalty-taking - at least the rules that are supposed to apply to penalty-taking! If the goalie leaps off his line early but the penalty is scored anyway, it stands. If it's missed, the striker has a chance to re-take it because the goalie had broken the rules.

Anyway, as of yesterday, we do have a Premier League example of just what was described above (although not as long as two minutes later): Bournemouth's "goal" at Burnley which was then called back and turned into a Burnley penalty at the other end.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Martyn":1jny3ylf said:

But, with the introduction of VAR , and after yesterday’s debacle of decisions, i hope we don’t.

Just scrap, VAR, and leave everything to the on field ref. Decisions DO even themselves out over the season, ok they get some decisions wrong, but that is football. It was also said that a incorrect ref decisions, could cause a club millions or relegation.

VAR is currently ruining the Premiership, I currently can’t watch a game on Sky, it is a joke.

As much as I don't agree with the hand ball law with how it is applied when goals are scored, VAR came to the correct decisions at Burnley yesterday. If there was no VAR and Bournemouth had picked up a point or three that keeps them up at the end of the season, there will still be a team that goes down who inevitably suffers because of on field mistakes.

Sep 25, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":36cdpx2k said:
Martyn":36cdpx2k said:

As much as I don't agree with the hand ball law with how it is applied when goals are scored, VAR came to the correct decisions at Burnley yesterday. If there was no VAR and Bournemouth had picked up a point or three that keeps them up at the end of the season, there will still be a team that goes down who inevitably suffers because of on field mistakes.

I agree ,I was letting off a bit of anger.

But the enjoyment of watching MOTD last night was spoilt by VAR.

Currently it is a farce,

Let’s go back to football before VAR. mistakes and all. It makes the world go around.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Using the Bournemouth v Burnley game to credit VAR is a sad state of affairs. How Billings was penalised for handball i will never know. Maybe referees need biology training to understand what human body parts can make contact with a football.

The farce at the Chelsea game was hideous - the sad thing is i reckon if Michael Oliver had looked a screen and seen just one replay he'd have got the decision right.

With VAR the one angle that has been completely overlooked so far - gambling. Bear with me on this. Ten Premier league sides are sponsored by gambling firms (which i dont remotely approve of) it is only a matter of time before a decision impacts the gambling industry. Lets for arguments sake, last game of the season Leicester v Man Utd are playing for the last Champions league slot, they game is main televised game, every industry paper/online tipster selects a home win, due to the popularity at both clubs in the far east its not hard to envisage a betting turnover over of £500 million for one game, a home win is heavily supported and with a home win likely to cost the betting industry a small fortune - a late decision (incorrectly judged by VAR) hands Leicester the win. Whats the fall out?

Football and the Premier League (EFL have too) have laid out the red carpet to the betting industry, the main Saturday show is littered with competitions and adverts for their own betting brand - its huge business and huge revenue. What if on ones mans say so (let say David Coote as he was in the firing line this weekend) one poor VAR decision costs that industry a 9 figure sum - whilst we all want the game to be pure and clean - when sums like this are involved life rarely is. It would in my mind lead to claims of bribery, corruption and possibly far worse.

Money has and continues to make the game grubby - VAR is designed to take controversy away, its currently doing the opposite, the moment the people putting up and making money get bit by it - football has a whole new issue.