Plymouth
No sympathy. You reap what you sow.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Fair point KiG.

I was wondering about Salford when I was at the game Tuesday. Are they managing to stay within the rules?

Crowds of a couple of thousand even when we boost it bu a 1,000 but reported to pay players like Rooney 3 or 4k a week.

They have got Darren Gibson there now too he was playing Premier League a couple seasons back and then went to Sunderland where I guess he was on a decent wage.

We all know they will be well backed by owners but thought rules were related to wages and turnover or have I got that wrong?

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I think it's all about bending the rules without actually breaking them. All about how they use the term "turnover".

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
cheshiregreen":2tubadox said:
Fair point KiG.

I was wondering about Salford when I was at the game Tuesday. Are they managing to stay within the rules?

Crowds of a couple of thousand even when we boost it bu a 1,000 but reported to pay players like Rooney 3 or 4k a week.

They have got Darren Gibson there now too he was playing Premier League a couple seasons back and then went to Sunderland where I guess he was on a decent wage.

We all know they will be well backed by owners but thought rules were related to wages and turnover or have I got that wrong?
This tweet explains it.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Keepitgreen":k8lpp8h1 said:
No sympathy. You reap what you sow.
Yes, it's hard to feel much sympathy. Fantastic footballing team and all that, but anyone can manage that with a few hundred million thrown at them by owners who don't even care about FFP rules. (As a bonus, the Gallagher brothers will be monumentally p1ssed off! :greensmile:)

I wonder if Pep will leave early if they go out to Bayern - or as soon as they go out, or even if they win it? Assuming the appeal fails, there doesn't seem much point for either party to drag it out for another year to the end of his contract once they're eliminated - or, indeed, even if they win it. Players will start to leave, others will be less keen to join, and even a Premier League title will seem scant consolation to them now, having won it several times recently and knowing there's nowhere further to go for a couple of years.

Also... am I right in thinking that CAS have the power to increase penalties following failed appeals?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
If CAS is able to implement further sanctions, I wonder if the verdict could be points deductions like Saracens suffered, such that Man City would be a member of The Championship next season. That would certainly put 'the cat amongst the pigeons', in City retaining their highly paid overseas players.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":10ma78uc said:
If CAS is able to implement further sanctions, I wonder if the verdict could be points deductions like Saracens suffered, such that Man City would be a member of The Championship next season. That would certainly put 'the cat amongst the pigeons', in City retaining their highly paid overseas players.

I don't think there are any suggestions that City have broken any Premier League rules at this stage. Their appeal is against the so called evidence that UEFA have based their findings on. City claim that it is hearsay evidence that comes from a hacked e-mail. If CAS refuse the evidence put forward by UEFA then City will have a strong appeal.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Well, according to the BBC:

Could the Premier League take action?

Uefa's decision is not the only problem facing City just now. The Premier League is also looking closely at the situation and deciding what to do next.

Although the two bodies have different financial fair play rules, they are close enough for there to be a belief that if City have transgressed Uefa's regulations, they have done so with the Premier League too.

Should the league decide to bring a charge, a points deduction cannot be ruled out.

The tricky bit is what the Premier League does now. In theory, it can bring a case. Equally, it may decide it is better to wait until any appeal has been heard by CAS, so it would have a better idea of the likelihood of success.

It is a fascinating situation and one the Premier League clubs have been discussing privately for a while now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51511252

From what I've read, the case is a hell of a lot stronger and more detailed than just hearsay evidence from a hacked email. That's the City stance - but, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies: they would say that, wouldn't they?

(LC: you seem surprisingly prickly about this. Any particular reason?)

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
From what I understand City's owner put in £70m and the emails prove that they presented it as being given by fictitious sponsors. I'd be very surprised if they won an appeal. The EPL are investigating as to whether they were similarly deceived.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Seem very quick to bring on extreme action when money is involved, but not so much when racism is the problem.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The whole frigging systems corrupt, Europe and the English FA.

Bully boys in charge who lie, cheat and exploit telling the body they govern they shall not lie, cheat or exploit.

Derby and Sheffield Wednesday are prime examples of owners exploiting the system for financial gain.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Cobi Budge":gd628yap said:
Seem very quick to bring on extreme action when money is involved, but not so much when racism is the problem.
That's a fair point - the "punishments" for racism have been a disgrace, if they've even been imposed at all - but the Man City process has hardly been what you'd call quick.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
MickyD":3i51gkey said:
Well, according to the BBC:

Could the Premier League take action?

Uefa's decision is not the only problem facing City just now. The Premier League is also looking closely at the situation and deciding what to do next.

Although the two bodies have different financial fair play rules, they are close enough for there to be a belief that if City have transgressed Uefa's regulations, they have done so with the Premier League too.

Should the league decide to bring a charge, a points deduction cannot be ruled out.

The tricky bit is what the Premier League does now. In theory, it can bring a case. Equally, it may decide it is better to wait until any appeal has been heard by CAS, so it would have a better idea of the likelihood of success.

It is a fascinating situation and one the Premier League clubs have been discussing privately for a while now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51511252

From what I've read, the case is a hell of a lot stronger and more detailed than just hearsay evidence from a hacked email. That's the City stance - but, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies: they would say that, wouldn't they?

(LC: you seem surprisingly prickly about this. Any particular reason?)

I am suspicious of UEFA. I'm suspicious that their FFP rules are not designed to protect smaller clubs but are to ensure that their elite clubs stay at the top of the tree. They simply don't want Man City upsetting the status quo of the apple cart and overtaking some of the big names that they sell the Champions League on.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Lundan Cabbie":3h16l9f7 said:
I am suspicious of UEFA. I'm suspicious that their FFP rules are not designed to protect smaller clubs but are to ensure that their elite clubs stay at the top of the tree. They simply don't want Man City upsetting the status quo of the apple cart and overtaking some of the big names that they sell the Champions League on.
But genuine long-time Euro royalty AC Milan have also been hit hard by Uefa over FFP, so I'm not sure your argument holds. Who counts as elite if they don't?