Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
SKY just reporting Wigan have entered administration. First of many methinks

Nov 18, 2011
A 12 point deduction would leave them 4 points from safety but given that they're the form team in the division and have 6 games left they could still survive which would be a kick in the balls for any team that went down.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Surprising that the first EFL club to go into administration is a Championship club rather than from Leagues 1 or 2.

Apr 1, 2009
They have been sustained by having a wealthy owner for so long, but remain a club in a smallish town where football is not even the main sport. No way could they ever stand on their own feet as a Championship club.

I see Sheffield Wednesday haven't paid their players in full... If only we had a SWFC expert on here.

Nov 18, 2011
davie nine":2syahjwy said:
Surprising that the first EFL club to go into administration is a Championship club rather than from Leagues 1 or 2.

Wigan have always had terrible crowds, even in the Premier League they basically never filled the DW Stadium. It's only due to the benevolence of Dave Whelan that they punched above their weight for so long, there's no way they can be financially sustainable without a sugar daddy in the higher divisions.

IMO their natural position is in League 1/2 which is where they where until the 2000's. They need to start cutting their cloth more accordingly, I wonder if continuing to play at the DW stadium despite not even half filling it is a major financial drain?

With average Championship club losses running at £11m per year, perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised. Nor at Sheffield Wednesday’s lack of cash to pay wages. I know I’m sounding like a worn record, but it may prove that a business model of clubs relying on one owner rich enough to treat these losses as petty cash is simply unsustainable in the long term. Total rethink needed, and fast.

Jul 29, 2010
davie nine":1gf8nh9h said:
Not really Davie, the Championship clubs are the ones carrying the greater debts.

This is the tip of the iceberg, the Huddersfield chairman said recently he felt as many as 70 (yes seventy) clubs in the EFL could be headed for administration.

As stated above Wigan have historic 'high investment/low support' issues which perhaps make them vulnerable sooner.

A very significant dividend for clubs run with sustainable financial prudence awaits. Not only as all the clubs around them get points deductions or (got forbid for the fans) go out of business, but far better players will be available for 'Plymouth prices'.

Transfer fees will become even rarer, Championship sides won't so easily be able to afford to poach our best players and what we can offer players in wages will suddenly seem very much more attractive.

Argyle are one of a very few clubs sitting pretty in the sustainability league.

So whilst I feel sorry for the few genuine Wigan fans out there, as I will for the fans of other clubs about to go the same way, from a purely selfish point of view the impending death of the mentality of spending money you don't have is very good news for us :thumbup:

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
davie nine":3hqs66y4 said:

Not really - given their 11m pa income as against 19.4m pa expenditure plus the enormous cost of having to finish the season without any gate revenue. Expect Wigan to be the first of many Champ clubs who threw money at the dream to go into admin.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Joe Totale":165qjk7l said:
A 12 point deduction would leave them 4 points from safety but given that they're the form team in the division and have 6 games left they could still survive which would be a kick in the balls for any team that went down.

Not necessarily.

The English Football League has said Wigan will be deducted 12 points.

The sanction will be applied at the end of this season if the Latics, 14th in the Championship, finish outside the bottom three after 46 games.

Should Wigan finish in the relegation zone, the penalty will be applied during the 2020-21 season instead.

So if they are fewer than 12 points above the relegation zone they will be relegated.

Oct 5, 2013
X Isle":22lrqb1u said:
davie nine":22lrqb1u said:
Not really Davie, the Championship clubs are the ones carrying the greater debts.

This is the tip of the iceberg, the Huddersfield chairman said recently he felt as many as 70 (yes seventy) clubs in the EFL could be headed for administration.
As stated above Wigan have historic 'high investment/low support' issues which perhaps make them vulnerable sooner.

A very significant dividend for clubs run with sustainable financial prudence awaits. Not only as all the clubs around them get points deductions or (got forbid for the fans) go out of business, but far better players will be available for 'Plymouth prices'.

Transfer fees will become even rarer, Championship sides won't so easily be able to afford to poach our best players and what we can offer players in wages will suddenly seem very much more attractive.

So whilst I feel sorry for the few genuine Wigan fans out there, as I will for the fans of other clubs about to go the same way, from a purely selfish point of view the impending death of the mentality of spending money you don't have is very good news for us :thumbup:

What a great post X Isle, not exactly a pleasant subject, but really appreciated reading your insights.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
X Isle":2hf4gu5h said:
davie nine":2hf4gu5h said:

That makes sense to me, X Isle. The saying, 'It's a funny old game' seems to be the only constant in football. Looking back a decade, who would have put any money on the possibility of 'down and out' Argyle one day being better off than Premiership and FA Cup Winners Wigan? Strange times indeed...