Clubs in cathedral cities | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Clubs in cathedral cities

A few years ago, on a long car journey, a friend and I identified the following principle in English football:

The strength of an English cathedral city’s football club is inversely proportionate to the attractiveness of its cathedral. In the case of London, clubs and cathedrals have to be located in the same borough.

Curiously, this rule doesn’t seem to apply to football clubs in European cathedral cities.

Any thoughts?

Jul 14, 2008
This is a niche topic, I like it! I would say Liverpool Cathedral (Anglican) is quite spectacular due to its size, the amount of space inside is fairly breathtaking. In general though you’re assumption is probably accurate - is that because football was traditionally a very working class sport in this country? Cities with the nicest or most impressive cathedrals tend to be quite middle class and therefore aren’t big footballing places traditionally.

There’s probably something in the social class theory, although quite a few RC cathedrals are located in cities with traditionally significant working-class populations. A number of early English amateur teams were also raised from church social clubs.

The Big Four with fine cathedrals and strong football clubs are probably:
1. Norwich
2. Liverpool/Everton, depending on whether you prefer tradition or innovation in cathedral design.
3. Bristol
4. Peterborough

Jul 14, 2008
Yes and then below them to complete a list of league sides with the best cathedrals you would have Exeter, York and Lincoln.

May 8, 2011
With the emancipation of Catholics in the 18th century they were allowed to build cathedrals. When the first ones were built they tended to avoid towns/cities that had Anglican cathedrals which is why Plymouth has a catholic cathedral and Exeter an anglican one.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Just to throw in some more for comparison.

Truro
Salisbury
Winchester
Chichester

All great Cathedrals but only two of the cities have a football team that might impinge on the football world.

Truro City obviously had a good season wiped out by Covid-19
Salisbury FC in the Southern Premier
Winchester City in Southern League Division One South
Chichester City (who play in green and white stripes) are in the Isthmian League South East Division. Famous for getting a bye in the last FA Cup first round thanks to the demise of Bury.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argylegames":2k0y001i said:
Just to throw in some more for comparison.

Truro
Salisbury
Winchester
Chichester

All great Cathedrals but only two of the cities have a football team that might impinge on the football world.

Truro City obviously had a good season wiped out by Covid-19
Salisbury FC in the Southern Premier
Winchester City in Southern League Division One South
Chichester City (who play in green and white stripes) are in the Isthmian League South East Division. Famous for getting a bye in the last FA Cup first round thanks to the demise of Bury.

Ely?
Lincoln?
Canterbury?
St Davids?
Durham? :think:

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Surprised they have/had a football pitch, given the place is so small.

Saying that I haven't been there since the 70s so it might have grown a bit.

Edit: Population 1841 at the last census