✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
He really is a c@ck. He calls it a pub league yet his management skills are only good enough for that league.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Keepitgreen":1bycgtkd said:
He really is a c@ck. He calls it a pub league yet his management skills are only good enough for that league.

Serious question: Does John Sheridan even like/enjoy football? I suspect he doesn't but, because he was gifted at it (undeniable), he has had to live with it.

He'd rather be selling donkey rides on Scarborough seafront .... fact!! ;)

Sheridan is the proof that the qualities that make up the tough international midfielder are not the same as those of the able coach and manager.

An ex-international player with the considerable experience in English football management that Sheridan has simply should not be managing a LoI club at this point in his career.

Having watched Bohemians for a season while I was a student in Dublin, I can say that the general standard of top tier LoI clubs in those days was probably 1/2 clubs at National League Premier standard, 2/3 National League N/S standard, the rest regional feeder leagues or lower. At most Bohemians matches—Bohemians were then competing in the Champions League qualifying stages—the ball was, very noticeably, constantly going out of play as many players struggled with basic close control. Attacking moves of more than five consecutive passes were very rare. That said, the ground still had a good atmosphere and I did occasionally see some great goals scored by individuals. Some LoI club youngsters also later made their careers in English football.

Teams were generally well-matched and there were few fixtures where results were a foregone conclusion. The league and cup matches were competitive events. Club infrastructure standards were those of semi-professional or amateur set-ups. Clubs were generally funded by small businessmen. But that’s what football has always been like in Ireland. Sheridan should have known this better than most before moving to Waterford. All national league structures have issues that deserve criticism, but to so transparently disrespect the national competition of the country you claim as your own is not going to improve things for anyone. I doubt he’ll be in Ireland long.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He saved us from non league, I'll always be eternally grateful for that.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Amen to that, it should never be forgotten.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
I can never understand the negative and derogatory attitude towards Sheridan.

So he doesn’t smile very much, so what!

They seem to forget the absolutely dire situation we were in when he arrived following the removal of the popular, yet hapless Fletcher; we were heading into the Conference and then to who knows where.

He kept us up without being given very much money to spend and then a couple of seasons later, again without much outlay, he got us to the Play-offs.

With a bigger budget, Adams also (only) got Argyle to the Play-offs the season after Sheridan left and many fans hailed him as some sort of lower-League Messiah.

Like the very popular Lowe, he didn’t relocate down here but in Sheridan’s case, that was held against him.

All Argyle fans should be grateful to Sheridan for the part he played in preserving our League status and putting in the foundations for Adams to eventually get us promoted.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Emeraldinho":2ivdcw45 said:
I see the BBC are reporting that Wigan are about to appoint John Sheridan as manager! :shock: Discuss.

It'll be boring to watch but they'll probably stay up, barring more deductions.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
John Sheridan took us from bottom of the football league to the play offs. He signed some fairly good players (Hartley, McHugh, McCormick, Brunt, Reid etc) in the process. He was also instrumental in Hourihane's development. He wasn't a world beater, and I certainly wasn't his no1 fan, however I feel like he deserves more respect & appreciation than he gets from our fans, he left us in a much stronger position than we were in when he arrived.