Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
At age 72 I have finally ceased to be interested in all things Three Lions. In chasing the big bucks the FA have decided that as a terrestrial football fan I no longer matter. I will stick with my true love that is PAFC. :thumbdown:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Gareth Southgate has given us some sort of togetherness that we didn't have previously, however that's as far as it's going to go. We have an exciting squad but he isn't utilizing it and we aren't improving both technically and tactically. It won't happen because he is the perfect FA yes man but a change will be needed if we're to have a chance of challenging for a major honour.

I still feel, and have done for years, that Arsene Wenger would be the perfect man to guide this young, exciting squad. He'd offer both developmental knowledge as well as tactical knowledge. If he wanted the job I'd have him in tomorrow.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Gareth Southgate is so over-rated as the England Manager.

A fortunate draw in the World Cup allowed England to flatter to deceive and he has been living off that for much of the last couple of years. When it really mattered in the World Cup against Croatia and against Holland in the Nations Cup last year, Southgate was found badly wanting.

Southgate is a latter day Graham Taylor, an FA Yes man who won't embarrass them and who will tow the line. If he is as good a Manager as some people think, how come no big clubs have come in for him when they needed a new Manager?

Watching England is like watching Argyle under Adams, constant sideways and backwards passing with no penetration. An obsession with defensive midfielders and when it was obvious that we needed to bring on Grealish to try and create something, he instead brings on the master of the sideways pass, Henderson.

Instead of trying to create something by bringing on Grealish we resort to hoofball up to the 2 Centre Forwards in the hope we can win a free kick or score from a corner.

The Referee was really shocking but that doesn't excuse Southgate and the players for such a dismal performance.

Why are Pickford and Maguire still automatic choices, they are both accidents waiting to happen.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I am now a complete England plastic.

I didn't even know they were playing Wales last week and I certainly didn't watch them against the just as dull Danish last night.

I'm an England fan in the big competitions but other than that it's complete and utter 'meh' from me.

As others have said, since the money has come in, I really don't care about them.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that England are in transition.
We have so much potential on the fringe of making us a very good side. Foden, Greenwood, James, Calvert-Lewin, Grealish, Henderson(gk), Sancho for example.
Southgate has had a very difficult 6 months where he has had to make tough decisions about discipline.
It was obvious that Kane was not match fit last night and we certainly missed Sterling.
I am not ready to give up on England any more than I would give up on Argyle if we went through a bad patch.
Argyle is my club; England is my country.

Jul 12, 2016
davie nine":2gytwc83 said:
I think that England are in transition.
We have so much potential on the fringe of making us a very good side. Foden, Greenwood, James, Calvert-Lewis, Grealish, Henderson(gk), Sancho for example.
Southgate has had a very difficult 6 months where he has had to make tough decisions about discipline.
It was obvious that Kane was not match fit last night and we certainly missed Sterling.
I am not ready to give up on England any more than I would give up on Argyle if we went through a bad patch.
Argyle is my club; England is my country.
I have given up on England and no longer bother to watch the games .Southgate is over rated and as for the players ,few wear the shirt with pride. Those who have broken covid rules should not be selected to play for their country again regardless of their skill. It is about time footballers realised that despite their wealth they have to abide by the law and rules.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
My opening post had nothing to do with the Manager, team selection, tactics or setup, but purely with the fact that England as the national team belonged to each and every fan, this is no longer the case. All national teams in whatever sport should be free to air. It is no longer about national pride but about turning an even bigger profit. Not for me so I wish all the overpaid players all the best for the future but implore them to look at the ethics of the 1966 winners.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
We're just not that good!

The 2018 WC was so overrated it's untrue. We lost twice to Belgium and once to a better Croatia team. We scraped through on pens vs Colombia and were blessed with an easy group and a knockout game with an extremely average Swedish team. That was it.

The players are rotated so much now in meaningless friendlies that the so-called 'pride' of representing your country is dished out to every Tom, Dick and Harry that happens to have a good month for their clubs. Oh, and of course, when there's a global pandemic, we have several players who can't follow simple rules. I'm sorry, I don't care how young they are, if you're picked for your country, you follow the simple rules.

Sep 13, 2003
The Nations League being exclusively on Sky isnt a new thing for this season, it was the same for past tournament two years ago.

As for Wenger being the England manager, no thank you!

Sep 13, 2003
jespafc":1pfhfv8t said:
We're just not that good!

The 2018 WC was so overrated it's untrue. We lost twice to Belgium and once to a better Croatia team. We scraped through on pens vs Colombia and were blessed with an easy group and a knockout game with an extremely average Swedish team. That was it.

The players are rotated so much now in meaningless friendlies that the so-called 'pride' of representing your country is dished out to every Tom, Dick and Harry that happens to have a good month for their clubs. Oh, and of course, when there's a global pandemic, we have several players who can't follow simple rules. I'm sorry, I don't care how young they are, if you're picked for your country, you follow the simple rules.

Italia 90 - We scrapped through the group after drab performances against Eire and Egypt... should have lost in the next round v Belgium, then were outplayed by Cameroon in the quarter final. Our best game was the semi final yet we still managed to lose before the Italians beat us in the 3/4th play-off. We only won 1 game in normal time.

Euro 96. More drab performances against Switzerland, the first half v Scotland and Spain before another semi final loss v the Germans.

In perspective to 2018, I think this should match up to those other semi final appearances.

Fair cop Panama were a pub team but Colombia and Tunisia displayed some of the worst anti football I ever witnessed in a football stadium with the off the ball fouling, diving, intimidating the officials.

Sweden are always a probmatic side for us and we played very well in that match and well Belgium have a terrific side. Let's be honest with a better manager than Roberto Martinez they should have won tournaments by now with that talent in the squad.

I loved that World Cup and being in the semi final was a wonderful experience (apart from the final whistle).

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Clarke_B":30c47dly said:
As for Wenger being the England manager, no thank you!

Why not? I'm not having a go or anything I'm just curious? He has a wealth of experience at the top level of the game. As I said in my earlier post, Southgate has given us some togetherness etc but now we need some experience and some tactical nous to take us the extra step, Southgate won't learn and won't develop in that area whilst he's in international management, that's the sort of thing that comes with domestic, week to week action.