Diego Maradona RIP | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Diego Maradona RIP

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Well he certainly had his flaws (like many a genius I guess) but i totally agree with your last sentence.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Sad news. 2020 is relentless.

However, (tin hat on) I always felt he was overrated. Some magical moments, but his stats don't smack of 'greatest ever player', even though he was a magnificent entertainer. For me, to be considered the greatest ever you need to have the longevity and the professionalism to take you to the summit of the sport. I just don't feel Maradona quite achieved that.

Still, he was a real character and it's a sad loss for the world of football.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Played until he was 37, 259 goals in 491 games, 4 World Cups and 91 caps (thanks Wiki). He was more than just a character, the guy was a footballing genius. I loved watching him. RIP Diego.

Sep 13, 2003
jespafc":2fvv322y said:

However, (tin hat on) I always felt he was overrated. Some magical moments, but his stats don't smack of 'greatest ever player', even though he was a magnificent entertainer. For me, to be considered the greatest ever you need to have the longevity and the professionalism to take you to the summit of the sport. I just don't feel Maradona quite achieved that.

Good grief, only on Pasoti can one of the greatest footballers ever be described as overated. :doh:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Fitting he died on the 19t anniversary of the greatest Brit I've ever seen play.

Georgie and Maradona playing keepie up, I wonder who'd win.

I don't think he was overrated, but he wasn't my cup of tea I must admit. The hand of God tarnished him in my book.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
RIP Diego.

One of the world's greats, no doubt. I was lucky enough to see him once, playing for Spurs in a testimonial for Ossie Ardiles. Incredible to watch, linked up with Hoddle as if they'd been playing together all their lives!

Rest easy now

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
Keepitgreen":wahho0aq said:
Played until he was 37, 259 goals in 491 games, 4 World Cups and 91 caps (thanks Wiki). He was more than just a character, the guy was a footballing genius. I loved watching him. RIP Diego.

Amen to that.
That 1986 Argentina side was average almost workmanlike but through his skill, sheer will and desire they won the World Cup.
5 goals and 5 assists. And what he did at Napoli was astonishing. No surprise he's considered a god there. RIP Diego.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Clarke_B":3t3gaope said:
jespafc":3t3gaope said:

Good grief, only on Pasoti can one of the greatest footballers ever be described as overated. :doh:

Yes, a message board for sharing opinions. And you said it yourself...'one of'...but not 'the' - that was my point, I hope that's okay with you. I thought he was overrated by those who claimed he was the greatest ever.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Certainly in the top 3 or 4 of all time, I would say Jespafc.
Winning the world cup virtually single-handed not an high enough summit for you?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Lousy_Pint":199mif4s said:
Winning the world cup virtually single-handed not an high enough summit for you?

You said it.

Top 10 I'd say.

Jul 24, 2009
I think it's very difficult to pinpoint one player as 'the greatest' although I think Maradona would be one of a very short list of contenders. He and Pele were named joint winners of FIFA's player of the 20th Century, with Maradona topping the online poll that was run:-

https://www.fifa.com/news/pele-and-mara ... tens-76134

Certainly Maradona doesn't have the consistency or longevity of a Ronaldo or Messi, but then neither of them have had such a starring role in winning the World Cup for their country as Maradona did in 1986. Or transformed a club (Napoli) in quite the same way.

Sep 13, 2003
jespafc":1ol900nr said:
Lousy_Pint":1ol900nr said:

You said it.

Top 10 I'd say.

Can't wait to see the others in your top ten.
1) James Milner
2) David Batty
3) Vinny Samways
10) Diego Maradona

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Moved to Main Page for 24 hours - Site Admin

third earl of jean":49cin2b2 said:
I think it's very difficult to pinpoint one player as 'the greatest' although I think Maradona would be one of a very short list of contenders. He and Pele were named joint winners of FIFA's player of the 20th Century, with Maradona topping the online poll that was run:-

https://www.fifa.com/news/pele-and-mara ... tens-76134

Certainly Maradona doesn't have the consistency or longevity of a Ronaldo or Messi, but then neither of them have had such a starring role in winning the World Cup for their country as Maradona did in 1986. Or transformed a club (Napoli) in quite the same way.

I think the other thing to consider is that Maradona played in an era where the greatest players were blatantly and cynically hacked down.

These days Ronaldo and Messi have it easy where defenders are scared to even make any contact.

Maradona is easily in the top three players of all time. Considering he played in Argentina, Spain and Italy, whereas Pele only played in Brazil, he might even be at the top.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Clarke_B":12b3il23 said:
jespafc":12b3il23 said:
Lousy_Pint":12b3il23 said:

You said it.

Top 10 I'd say.

Can't wait to see the others in your top ten.
1) James Milner
2) David Batty
3) Vinny Samways
10) Diego Maradona

Nah not Samways, he was too hot-headed. Milner gives you 100% and Batty was a midfield general. Not in my top 3, but top 10 contenders for sure. I'm going offline now for a bit Clarkey, so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for my other nominations.