Fans boo players taking the knee | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Fans boo players taking the knee

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Absolute scum. They’ve been waiting to do that for months - hopefully they’ll be identified and banned.

Aug 5, 2016
David Friio's mate":a2z58dca said:
Absolute scum. They’ve been waiting to do that for months - hopefully they’ll be identified and banned.

Banned for what?

Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
It wasn’t just at Millwall. It happened at a number of grounds today. I can see this causing a lot of problems when all fans return.

Sep 13, 2003
David Friio's mate, serious question... how can you ban someone for booing a political statement? This all starts a worrying precedent if the FA/Millwall were going to start banning fans for not agreeing with a certain movements ideology.

As Lee has stated above, it was quite predictable that this would happen once fans were allowed back in.... its happened in the US amongst other countries as well.

Kick it out need to work more with clubs like Millwall otherwise it will get alot worse before it gets better.

Aug 5, 2016
Clarke_B":4jfs2kqx said:
David Friio's mate, serious question... how can you ban someone for booing a political statement? This all starts a worrying precedent if the FA/Millwall were going to start banning fans for not agreeing with a certain movements ideology.

Absolutely. There is a difference between booing a player because of their ethnicity, religion or skin colour, and booing someone whilst making a political gesture.

If the player doesn't do that gesture, they don't get booed. They are stating their opinion, and they are inviting others to give one back. Or are the players entitled to an opinion but the fans aren't?

A lot of people don't truly understand what BLM is all about. Taking a knee started in America as a reaction to Donald Trump and his inflammatory rhetoric and policies in America. BLM really took off in the UK when an American cop killed an American citizen, nothing to do with UK policing, society or attitudes.

The red top tabloid readers are mostly confused about what taking a knee even means in this country. From their positions, there is no overt discrimination happening and the insinuation that society is rotten is offensive to them. The crowds are watching black players (and players of all races) with a lot more money, opportunities and 'privilege' than them making these political gestures, and wondering what is so tough about their lives to be making this gesture 6 months, 9 months, a year down the line from a policing catastrophe in the American midwest.

What does Luke Jephcott and Danny Mayor taking a knee in Plymouth even mean any more, and what has to be achieved/changed for this protesting to stop?

Too often in this country people want each other banned or arrested for having a view that doesn't align with their own. They consider themselves enlightened and want anyone with an ignorant view banned and restricted to the council estates where they belong. That is the worrying part.

Please just remember that making a booing sound is not illegal and never has been. Some Celtic fans choose to boo Remembrance Sunday and any sight of the poppy. But ignorant behaviour (especially regarding complicated issues of identity) is not illegal and no-one has the right to decide whose views are acceptable and who deserves to be banned.

Keep sport free of politics as FIFA consistently tries to do and you alleviate yourself of a lot of headaches. It is the players that are forcing it back in.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
David Friio's mate":4b9c7bs5 said:

These people you call scum, do you think they would be booing if the players wore 'Kick Racism Out Of Football' t-shirts (for example) instead of getting on a knee to support BLM? No, because they support the eradication of racism. But they don't support a divisive, hate fuelled organisation/political movement, hence the boos.

Now Millwall, like other clubs, have decided they will no longer take the knee. Does this mean you're going to try and start a campaign to get these clubs kicked out of the league for being racist? Or are football clubs waking up, realising supporting BLM is doing more harm than good, and instead will do their own initiatives in the community to tackle racism...

Jan 2, 2019
David Friio's mate":2xxd1j4x said:
Banned for what you mackerel? Doing what many others are thinking. Stick to your flag waving before games. Millwall are a proper club with proper fans.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Millwall being Millwall.

Scum, always were and always will be.

Mar 18, 2014
It's freedom of speech............

BLM want to close down all police forces for instance, why should everyone agree with what is basically a political movement?

Every black and asian person I know disagrees with the BLM and taking the knee.

for me it is similar to the Washington Redskins being bullied into changing there name, by white media luvvies, when a huge number of native americans saw Washington as "their team" entirely due to the imagery and name, but no white middle class people thought to ask them their opinion

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
Whelan11":qxvjbo36 said:
David Friio's mate":qxvjbo36 said:

These people you call scum, do you think they would be booing if the players wore 'Kick Racism Out Of Football' t-shirts (for example) instead of getting on a knee to support BLM? No, because they support the eradication of racism. But they don't support a divisive, hate fuelled organisation/political movement, hence the boos.

Now Millwall, like other clubs, have decided they will no longer take the knee. Does this mean you're going to try and start a campaign to get these clubs kicked out of the league for being racist? Or are football clubs waking up, realising supporting BLM is doing more harm than good, and instead will do their own initiatives in the community to tackle racism...

What utter rubbish. For one thing, not only are Millwall going to keep taking a knee, but QPR (who had stopped doing it) are going to as well when they play Millwall.

Let’s talk frankly, we are all fully aware of what the views of these morons booing would be on issues of race and equality and it is plain silly to pretend otherwise. If you want to pretend that’s up for debate then it’s pointless to engage with you.

Equally, they knew exactly the message they were sending with their booing - and who it was aimed at.

Millwall the club have reacted superbly to this to be fair - they’re stepping up their anti-discrimination messaging directly because of this, and good on them for it.

This tripe about “it’s a political movement they’re booing” is for me from the same wheelhouse as “some of my best friends are black”. Ask yourself if you really, truly believe that?

These idiots are cut from the same cloth as the braindead Argyle fans who chant songs about the Taliban at Luton away. I’m glad to see the Colchester chairman agrees and is telling these people they aren’t welcome at the ground anymore.

Points on whether taking a knee is a pointless PR exercise that doesn’t actually help much and serves only for clubs to show a public face of inclusivity are fair enough, I don’t disagree with that to a certain extent. But let’s not be wilfully naive about the message these knuckledraggers were trying to send.

David Friio's mate":3nxw7zx7 said:
Whelan11":3nxw7zx7 said:
David Friio's mate":3nxw7zx7 said:

What utter rubbish. For one thing, not only are Millwall going to keep taking a knee, but QPR (who had stopped doing it) are going to as well when they play Millwall.

Let’s talk frankly, we are all fully aware of what the views of these morons booing would be on issues of race and equality and it is plain silly to pretend otherwise. If you want to pretend that’s up for debate then it’s pointless to engage with you.

Equally, they knew exactly the message they were sending with their booing - and who it was aimed at.

Millwall the club have reacted superbly to this to be fair - they’re stepping up their anti-discrimination messaging directly because of this, and good on them for it.

This tripe about “it’s a political movement they’re booing” is for me from the same wheelhouse as “some of my best friends are black”. Ask yourself if you really, truly believe that?

These idiots are cut from the same cloth as the braindead Argyle fans who chant songs about the Taliban at Luton away. I’m glad to see the Colchester chairman agrees and is telling these people they aren’t welcome at the ground anymore.

Points on whether taking a knee is a pointless PR exercise that doesn’t actually help much and serves only for clubs to show a public face of inclusivity are fair enough, I don’t disagree with that to a certain extent. But let’s not be wilfully naive about the message these knuckledraggers were trying to send.

Spot on. Anyone who thinks these Neanderthals are capable of sending out a nuanced political message are self-delusional. I’ve been to Millwall five times, and I know these are absolute thickies who deserve no credibility whatsoever.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
David Friio's mate":2omlbbuv said:
Whelan11":2omlbbuv said:
David Friio's mate":2omlbbuv said:

Millwall and QPR players to stand arm-in-arm in 'show of solidarity' before Tuesday's match - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55223935