The Attacking, pressing style | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Attacking, pressing style

Mar 14, 2009
Currently watching Liverpool v Man Utd and l can’t believe how naive teams have become to allow a counter attacking team easy chances.

This kind of relates to Argyle and other teams who neglect any defensive duties.

First off l enjoy watching the teams that press. You want your teams to score goals and be on the front foot. Yet where l think Guardiola has improved his tactics this season is by putting in a second defensive midfielder which then gives you the platform to allow your full backs to get forward without being so vulnerable by one through ball. Liverpool twice have been caught out by two direct balls by Man Utd exposing that space.

For me l’ve seen Mourinho’s Spurs this season counter attack and expose teams in a manner where l can’t believe opposition managers don’t anticipate this happening.

When l watch Argyle we have wing backs but again only one CDM and we have been exposed against direct balls which suddenly allows the opposition in on goal.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d rather be a team with an attacking mentality. However, today lm watching this game and lm thinking Liverpool at times commit football suicide to allow Man Utd pace players too easy opportunities to create good chances.

To me width in a football team is very important. It’s what has made Liverpool so good. I do wonder though if a second more defensive midfielder would help these teams who press be less exposed against counter attacking style teams.

Certainly, Man City have tweaked their formation and it has allowed them to keep possession and become more solid an outfit. The only thing they lack is a fit again Aguero and then they should take some stopping this season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Liverpool didn’t do too badly playing that way last season, Mickey. It may have something to do with losing Van Dyke. Seems to confirm the importance, even at our level, of a big, strong, influential centre back.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":2keffgb2 said:
Liverpool didn’t do too badly playing that way last season, Mickey. It may have something to do with losing Van Dyke. Seems to confirm the importance, even at our level, of a big, strong, influential centre back.

Of course that matters.

However, Man Utd haven’t changed from last season. They suck you in and hit you on the counter.

Last season, Man Utd caused Man City issues as they waited for City to commit many players forward. This season they want to Old Trafford and played a more chess like, tactical game.

Don’t get me wrong Utd have improved this season. Fernades makes a huge difference. However, teams that sit back against them, they struggle with. Teams that go at them, they love. Leeds was a perfect example.

Sometimes lm surprised these managers don’t alter the way they play in some games knowing the opposition struggle against a certain play style.