Songo'o in trouble | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Songo'o in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasotimods

Apr 30, 2007
Several posts have been removed, as one poster decided to post something that we don't want on here.

Because other posters have then quoted him with their own feelings, those posts have also been removed which is sad, but we did not want to give the original post airspace.

It was then exacerbated by Mod Abuse. This is a volunteer site and we will not stand for that either.

A one week ban is now in place.

Please be aware you are all responsible for what you post, but if we catch any discriminatory intent in a post we will act on it.

Thank you.

Site Admin.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Whilst he has a responsibility to not be abusive I believe context is quite important in this case.
What he is quoted as saying, to me and many of my generation has an element of dual meaning.
Not needed but perhaps not meant as is being reported?

Sep 2, 2008
I think this is a sign of the times. There was a time when I'm sure the term was used commonly by some of the hard tacklers of the 60's/70's to have a dig at someone they had just levelled and who they felt were making a meal of the challenge. I would hazard a guess that Songo'o has expressed himself from the same perspective and probably has no idea of his opponents sexuality but in this day and age context doesn't matter....and society is much better for it :roll:

Apr 1, 2009
Given the potential for further controversy, why is this on the main board? Most threads on past players aren't.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
We're allowing a lot more 'football' posts on here lately, indeed for many months now.

Plus it's also easy for the Mods to see 'stuff' on the main board.

Jan 27, 2012
Sometimes even a fairly innocent remark can be described as 'abhorrent' in these PC times so I'd wait and see what Songo'o is supposed to have said exactly before making a judgement.

Let's remember that this is a game where players are always pretending to be injured or abused in order to get their opponents sent off.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
gaspargomez":cucbp1nl said:
Sometimes even a fairly innocent remark can be described as 'abhorrent' in these PC times so I'd wait and see what Songo'o is supposed to have said exactly before making a judgement.

Let's remember that this is a game where players are always pretending to be injured or abused in order to get their opponents sent off.

If you listen to the highlights, you can hear what he says.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Nobby":makbsb27 said:
gaspargomez":makbsb27 said:

If you listen to the highlights, you can hear what he says.
There's a link to the original incident on the Football Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=113628

May 8, 2011
I just wonder who decides it is an homophobic slur when the alleged word has three meanings that I know of, or has 2 of those meanings been taken out of the language?

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Apparently we cannot refer to a cigarette as a fag now, and nor can we say pork based meatballs,you know the ones that go with chips and peas,this post may well be deleted as weel. :mad:

Dec 8, 2019
HC Green":1pjzler0 said:
I just wonder who decides it is an homophobic slur when the alleged word has three meanings that I know of, or has 2 of those meanings been taken out of the language?
Not defending him at all, but it does make it difficult when speaking a different language, perhaps he has just heard this word being used generally and not knowing that in English how it can either be interpreted as a homophobic insult or that it is a classic British pub dish served with mash and gravy.
When I was at school 15 years ago and even into college, this word (as well as others) were bandied about as what would now be called general banter between mates.
My guess will be that he will plead naivete on this rather than admitting to being homophobic

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
rongreenblood":dr20qidg said:
Apparently we cannot refer to a cigarette as a fag now, and nor can we say pork based meatballs,you know the ones that go with chips and peas,this post may well be deleted as weel. :mad:

I mean, this is nonsense. You can say pork based meatballs in reference to the food. You can’t say it in reference to another human being. It’s really not difficult to grasp.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
simon1argyle":3l8lt4kv said:
HC Green":3l8lt4kv said:
Not defending him at all, but it does make it difficult when speaking a different language, perhaps he has just heard this word being used generally and not knowing that in English how it can either be interpreted as a homophobic insult or that it is a classic British pub dish served with mash and gravy.
When I was at school 15 years ago and even into college, this word (as well as others) were bandied about as what would now be called general banter between mates.
My guess will be that he will plead naivete on this rather than admitting to being homophobic

Yann has lived in the UK since 2013. He should know the current language norms and uses. I can't see why he would refer to an opposition player as a traditional pub meat dish. On the other hand it may be he simply wanted to rile the other player using any strong language that came to mind without thinking to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.