The salary cap. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The salary cap.

Glad it’s stopped. OK, as a supporter of a club with above average attendances I’m automatically biased, but nonetheless it always struck me as daft that larger clubs shouldn’t be allowed to pay what they wished and suffer the consequences if they get it wrong. I don’t see how you can lay down conditions to force owners to manage their clubs properly. Imagine if, at your place of work, your boss said ‘sorry I’d love to give you a rise but our trade association won’t allow it’.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
I'm all for a cap, stops clubs going bust as the existence of a club is always more important to fans than where it is in the pyramid.

But, it should be based on revenues (true revenues, not owners contributions or BS sponsorship deals from owner's companies). A club shouldn't be allowed to spend more than X% on player salaries (including dodgy payments to families, image rights etc) and the EFL should have the ability to withhold promotions over this.

Monthly management accounts submitted to the EFL will mean real-time reporting and immediate, objective punishments.

It's simple to rule, just a shame those who can vote for it never will as it'll impact them the most.