Dementia in football/sport. | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Dementia in football/sport.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Just reading the hayley McQueen article on BBC and she is suggesting limiting heading which i think is unworkable.However,i think all footballers should wear the Peter Cech style crash helmets.What do others think please?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
I don't see how heading can be limited. Wearing a helmet would remove the player's (in)ability to direct the ball with their head.

It either needs a world-wide ban on heading, and all that would entail regarding crosses, corners etc., or it has to be left where it is. The modern light ball is much safer surely than the one from the 60s and earlier with the laces and getting heavier in the rain.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Argylegames":320bxi7c said:
I don't see how heading can be limited. Wearing a helmet would remove the player's (in)ability to direct the ball with their head.

It either needs a world-wide ban on heading, and all that would entail regarding crosses, corners etc., or it has to be left where it is. The modern light ball is much safer surely than the one from the 60s and earlier with the laces and getting heavier in the rain.
a sound point,there is no way you can limit headers but, with modern design,protective,tailored skull caps could be made.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
They'd have to make caps with holes at the back for the Bales of this world. Can you imagine the effect such an item would have had on Kevin Keegan and his peers with their perms?

On a serious note, there would need to be padding or webbing inside, so they wouldn't be that close-fitting and would make control of the ball more difficult.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Needs to be properly researched and i know there are studies underway. Players will probably head a ball more frequently in training than in a 90 minute game, but if it remains part of the game, players have to train that skill. You can either ban it totally, which is probably unlikely, or ensure participants are aware of the risks, as in boxing, and make the choice whether to play or not. Honestly don't think skull caps are the answer.

Sep 25, 2010
If in the future, heading in football is going to be limited, whether in games or training, what are the authorities going to do about boxing.

Surely all the evidence is already there, for this so-called sport, for it is not a sport, it is thuggery.

It seems ALL the retired thugs, now have some sort of dementia or mental health-inflicted on them by continuous blows to the head, in training and bouts. And they call this sport !!!!

Boxing, is nothing short of organised thuggery, and should be banned.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Boxing is also a brilliant discipline, which has helped many people in many communities. Do we ban mixed martial arts too?

I say let people get on with it and take their own risks. I can't fathom why people are so surprised all of a sudden that having a ball whacked on your head isn't going to do it any good.

Dementia is a horrible disease but most things in life come with a risk attached and its the individuals decision to take that risk.

Getting in cars, going on a plane, having a vaccine, crossing the road, smoking, drinking, eating crap the list is endless....

Sep 25, 2010
Ted":10xu37yc said:
Boxing is also a brilliant discipline, which has helped many people in many communities. Do we ban mixed martial arts too?

I say let people get on with it and take their own risks. I can't fathom why people are so surprised all of a sudden that having a ball whacked on your head isn't going to do it any good.

Dementia is a horrible disease but most things in life come with a risk attached and its the individuals decision to take that risk.

Getting in cars, going on a plane, having a vaccine, crossing the road, smoking, drinking, eating crap the list is endless....

I am not talking about going cars,plane,vaccine smoking or drinking, I am talking about boxing.

Where the rules say, you have to literally beat your opponent up, and put him into serious danger and injury, by knocking six bells into him. Where on earth is there any other kind of sport ( I hate calling this a sport), where it is in the rules, basically it is encouraged to beat up your opponent, around the HEAD, and cause serious damage, and ‘knock out ‘ the opponent, how on earth is th8ssport, by giving the opponent, dementia and mental health. It I said ridiculous.

I am talking about boxing, it has never been a good discipline! That is a red herring, it gives lessons toyoung thugs, to beat people up.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
What about mixed martial arts and wrestling, should that be banned too? After all anybody who learns could seriously hurt someone.

The discipline is knowing when and how to protect yourself. Amongst other disciplines.

You shouldn't stereotype those who box, they're not all young thugs.

Just like not everybody called Martyn is a plonker.

Sep 25, 2010
Ted":ez4vqcpg said:
What about mixed martial arts and wrestling, should that be banned too? After all anybody who learns could seriously hurt someone.

The discipline is knowing when and how to protect yourself. Amongst other disciplines.

You shouldn't stereotype those who box, they're not all young thugs.

Just like not everybody called Martyn is a plonker.

Again, you are completely missing the point,
I am talking about boxing (alone). Where the rules say, that you must beat the hell out of your opponent, around the head, and knockout his opponent, that is not sport it is thuggery.

Why do you need to call me a plonker ?

What bothers me about boxing is the nature of the audience participation. If the purpose of the sport was purely to display the skills of dexterity, movement, anticipation etc, with the winner decided solely by strikes, as in fencing, then there would be no logical argument against helmets being worn in professional fights.

However it’s the prospect of injury and knock-outs which makes the sport exciting for many, so helmets aren’t used. I’m not sure this is a healthy thing to encourage in any sport. I really enjoy American Football. If they weren’t helmeted and padded their injuries would be immense. Would I prefer that? Of course not.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
On the contrary, I didn't call you a "plonker".
My words were that not everybody called Martyn is.

Words are open to interpretation, just as sports are.
I find it amusing to look at a darts player as a sportsperson, but there you go.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think they're all thugs, or that the sport is thuggish. Is there an usual concept to it, perhaps. But whose to argue if its done legally?

Sep 25, 2010
This is one of the points, if 2 boxers do what they do in a ring, and do the same thing on a night out on the Barbican a Friday night, they would be arrested.

How can we have a so called sport, where the rules state that they must half kill the opponent. How many boxers have been killed in the ring, and also suffered brain damage, (not by heading a football).

Look at the retired boxers, Bruno, Hatton etc, sorry but they suffered with mental health because of Boxing, and look at Ali, what a sorry state he ended up as, purely because of boxing,

Sep 25, 2010
Good to see a study, about dementia, involving ex rugby and footballers .

What about the same study for boxers, ex boxers, and people involved in boxing.

They will be an ideal study

Mar 18, 2014
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquess_ ... erry_Rules

no mention in the rules of needing to knock someone out, as per so many internet experts, you are spouting total manure.

If you want to see boxing banned it will just become unlicensed, at least since the Michael Watson tragedy the referees are quicker to intervene and there are top class medical facilities immediately available

and if you think boxing is bad, watch cage-fighting, that really is the Barbican on a weekend

And while we're at it, you need to start a campaign to ban armed forces worldwide - let's face it, it is basic human nature, deep in EVERYONE'S psyche, to kill, maim and hurt everything and anything. From war, to sports, to donut driving on the roads like it is GTA