Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Football dies a bit more, this absolutely stinks :thumbdown:

FA's executive committee are expected to approve a reform to the Champions League next Wednesday.

The new format will follow the 'Swiss model' and see the competition expanded to 36 teams.

The Athletic understands there is to be an increase from six to 10 guaranteed games in the new format, which will be introduced post-2024.

What is the Swiss model?
It is a new format for the Champions League after this current cycle of the competition, which ends in 2024.

The 32-team group stage would be eliminated. Instead, there would be a 36-team ‘Swiss model’ league, in which each club will play 10 games: five at home, five away.

The fixtures will be based on seedings and the teams will be ranked from one to 36.

The top eight will advance automatically to a 16-team knockout round, and the next 16 teams will go into a play-off round to decide those final eight slots.

Who would the extra four places go to?
The UEFA proposal is to give one of the four new slots to the team that finishes fourth in the fifth-strongest league, which is currently France but Portugal is closing in.

That would mean the 'Big Five' leagues would all have four guaranteed places in the Champions League each.

European football's governing body is proposing to award the three other slots on the basis of historic performance in European competitions over the previous five seasons. This would provide a safety net for teams with strong European pedigrees that have relatively poor domestic seasons.

For example, one or more of the Premier League's 'Big Six' could finish in one of the Europa or Europa Conference League positions — fifth to seventh — and be promoted to the Champions League.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Football hasn't died any more

Just the already pointless top league has become more pointless.

Why fans strive for Argyle to be in the PL is beyond me, I had colleagues who are Charlton fans during the time in the PL and they said it was a horrible existence just hoping not to lose each week.

I'm enjoying L1 with the chance to play good football with decent teams. Championship I wouldn't mind trying, but PL, no thanks.

Sooner the greedy 6 disappear to their super league the better for the game.

Willis88":xcfcsb75 said:
Football hasn't died any more

Just the already pointless top league has become more pointless.

Why fans strive for Argyle to be in the PL is beyond me, I had colleagues who are Charlton fans during the time in the PL and they said it was a horrible existence just hoping not to lose each week.

I'm enjoying L1 with the chance to play good football with decent teams. Championship I wouldn't mind trying, but PL, no thanks.

Sooner the greedy 6 disappear to their super league the better for the game.

Spot on. Because I spend time with family in London, I have access to season tickets for Arsenal, West Ham and occasionally Chelsea, providing they are not big games, derbies etc when the ST holder wants to use their ticket. However a few seasons ago I switched to watching local Championship games because I genuinely found them more enjoyable. Even watching the Orient is preferable to,say, Arsenal v Sheffield, or Chelsea v Southampton.

I want us to reach the Championship, but that’s the extent of my ambition for Argyle.