Why are VAR decisions so slow? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why are VAR decisions so slow?

I was initially pleased when VAR was introduced, with my enthusiasm based on the very effective way it is used in American Football, providing fairly instant decisions and actually making the game more interesting.

So how come, with what is arguably a far simpler game where rules are concerned, our own VAR system operates so ponderously? Listening to games on the radio, most commentators correctly predict the VAR outcome in half the time the officials take.

I hope the system doesn’t get adopted by the efl. Imagine not being able to celebrate an Argyle goal until it received VAR approval. That post-goal 5 seconds is one of the most exhilarating moments life has to offer, and to remove it would take a lot of the fun out of the game.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Before VAR, I always just accepted that human error was a part of officiating. This effort to perfect officiating through the farcical use of VAR, is just completely taking the joy out of watching football. It’s extremely depressing when you see a goal scored, but you know there’s still a good chance it could be ruled out 5 minutes later. VAR in itself isn’t a bad idea, the way it is used in England though makes it seem that way, it should be reserved for refereeing howlers, not to replace the referee altogether.