Pompey - free transfers? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pompey - free transfers?

A

Andy_Everett

Given that Pompey haven't paid their players on time 4(?) times this season, they've presumably broken their contract with the player. Anything - say the club holding their registration - to stop the players walking away? What if they go into liquidation?

May 22, 2006
Under contractual law, players can give 14 days notice if they haven't been paid. So yes, anyone who hasn't seen some cash could pretty much walk.

A

Andy_Everett

Thanks. Quite suprising that, in a WC year, some haven't. Maybe on more there than they think they'd get elsewhere. Surely time for other clubs to plunder the Pompey youth team though.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
That's the grimmest outlook for Pompey so far. Palace opted for administration presumably as they think someone will come in and buy whats left. From this article it looks like administration is not an option for Pompey either they pay HMRC or its liquidation and no Pompey anymore.

Mar 7, 2009
I think Pulis' interview halfway down is spot on..
Just because they're in the Premiership, doesn't mean they can get away with anything. If that was us, we'd be dead and buried now..

Should they be allowed to sell players outside the transfer window?
No, of course they f*king shouldn't. Rules are rules. Tough poo Pompey, tough poo.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Looking forward to Pompey getting hammered and held up as an example to the rest of football that the game is going to be reverted to a sport and not a play-thing for speculators, media-moguls and nigh-on criminal Russians and Saudi's. But I won't hold my breath.

Oct 30, 2009
Exeter
Imagine if a Portsmouth player sold now scored against us on the last day of the season to send us down.

Hopefully, Portsmouth will not be allowed to sell any players until the new transfer windon but money talks so you never know.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
It may be that players sold by Pompey would not be allowed to play first team football until the transfer window officially opens again. This would allow them to sell off players without the complications of the knock-on effect. If teams were getting talent at knock-down prices, I am sure they would be happy to have them in the reserves until next season.

On the other hand, why pay now if you can mop them up for free when Pompey go bust?

Nov 9, 2008
This stupid saga has really turned football into a complete and utter joke for me. For God's sake, what other business could get away with all this? They should be out of business now. Football needs a wake up call, and this should be it.

They should not be allowed to sell players outside of the window, they should not be given special treatment because they are a Premier League side, and they should not be given any hand outs.

They got themselves into this mess, they need to either find a way out, now, or go out of business. Get back into the real world and realise that this kind of crap won't sell.

Make an example of them. No-one ever wants a football club to go out of business, but it needs to happen.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
So basically in the past they have spent too much, and now want to avoid paying the price.

I feel for the fans, and it looks like they may be liquidated, but sadly football may need this to get some sense of reality back.

A

Anonymous

I saw a ex Pompey player at Argyle on Tuesday night.

He said his name was something like Oni Bass (he was Nigerian I think), and said he would be playing for us soon.

I never mentioned it before, because I can't find any reference to him anywhere, but he was talking to Tony Campbell for quite a while.

Anyone else know anything about him?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The more I think about it, the more this story will run and run. There are massive implications for the other clubs in the Premier League if Pompey were to go into liquidation and all results were null and void. Manure got two big wins against them, so they'd lose 6 points from their current total (as would Chelski and all the other teams who picked points up against Pompey will) and the'd be worse off in the goal-difference to Chelski too. Liverpool actually lost to Pompey, so they'd actually be better off (they wouldn't get extra points, obviously, but they won't lose as many points as the other "big hitters"). At the other end of the table, Wet Sham most definitely would not want Pompey to fold as they'd lose the points they had picked up and would drop to the bottom of the table.

The other clubs - and the Premier League itself - has a lot to lose if Pompey go under. In some form or another they'll get a "get out of jail" card, assuming they don't go into administration, as that's the last thing Balram Chainrai wants right now.

O

oggyale

FIFA are going to look at Portsmouth's idea of selling their playing staff outside of the transfer window(to raise much needed monies).

I wonder what the other Prem clubs will make of the idea,if Pompey are allowed to do said transactions. Will some moan and grumble etc,or will they all be ok with it?...