Pompey | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Pompey

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Beeb Sport says this is going to happen tomorrow.

Sad for the supporters and for the people who won't now get paid what they are owed. But better to play within the rules of running a tight ship than buying fleeting success... If only the Beeb and others wouldn't keep showing Pompey as a victim - they have effectively been cheating.

O

oggyale

Can someone elaborate on the winding up order being suspended?. Have Pompey basically got away with being closed down. :?

D

deanthegreenmachine

oggyale":3imnfjdf said:
Can someone elaborate on the winding up order being suspended?. Have Pompey basically got away with being closed down. :?

cant wind up a business in admin i believe, i think thats a basic rock and roll way of looking at it, im sure there are other implications, either way they will be a strong team in the ccc next year

G

Greenskin

Vicky Knowles":2pl5qcnv said:
So what is their punishment?

They were odds on favourite to be relegated anyway so a 9 points deduction is irrelevant.

Don't think the powers that be would look at it in that way.Odds on they may be to go down,but they've still got a chance-stranger things have happened,i suppose.The 9 point penalty makes it a stone cold certainty that they'll go down,the Premier league would argue that that would be the punishment.

O

oggyale

Greenskin":wztat64k said:
Vicky Knowles":wztat64k said:

They were odds on favourite to be relegated anyway so a 9 points deduction is irrelevant.

Don't think the powers that be would look at it in that way.Odds on they may be to go down,but they've still got a chance-stranger things have happened,i suppose.The 9 point penalty makes it a stone cold certainty that they'll go down,the Premier league would argue that that would be the punishment.

They should be put straight into League 1,that would be a severe punishment.

G

Greenskin

oggyale":zekp56bs said:
Greenskin":zekp56bs said:
Vicky Knowles":zekp56bs said:

What Barry Hearn suggested.Don't disagree with that,certainly an issue worth discussing for the future.But i suppose the PL can't just change the rules on the hoof,as it were,so nine points it must be at the moment.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
So presumably someone now comes in and buys the club on the cheap, sweeping up huge parachute payments for the 'reborn' club next season???

Mar 11, 2008
Bsingstoke
Greenskin":2fwc8fvw said:
oggyale":2fwc8fvw said:
Greenskin":2fwc8fvw said:
Vicky Knowles":2fwc8fvw said:

What Barry Hearn suggested.Don't disagree with that,certainly an issue worth discussing for the future.But i suppose the PL can't just change the rules on the hoof,as it were,so nine points it must be at the moment.

And as I put on another thred, I am pretty sure its what happens in countries like France where you have to show that you are not in debt or can last the whole season without going into debt. Seems right and proper to me.
It was quite a shocking fact which came out of UEFA today that the level of debt in the rpemier league is more than that of the rest of the top flight leagues in europe :shock:

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
20004064":2x7u1yda said:
So presumably someone now comes in and buys the club on the cheap, sweeping up huge parachute payments for the 'reborn' club next season???

From what I can gather they are due £20M from the Prem for TV and parachute payments which will nearly all go to their No 1 creditor the current owner.

They will live to fight another day and those that will suffer will be the lesser creditors like HMRC (Sol Cambell is higher up the pecking order than them), the clubs that have lost out to a team that spent more than they had with no intention of ever paying it back.

Pompey won the FA Cup by paying wages well beyond their means and can now write off public money they owe from their unpaid taxes. It surprises me that a team that goes into admin whilst still in the FA Cup and makes money out of the competition knocking out teams that have played by the rules is allowed to continue in the competition like Palace were this year. What would people have said if they won it with players whose wages had been funded by public money they subsequently didn't pay back?

Will Pompey have HMRC on their shirts next year after all their 'sponsorship' this season?

IMO they are cheating everyone else.

By going into Admin they stay in business. The administrators can't sell anyone off because of the transfer window, the clubs creditors get F-All in the pound for the huge debts the club ran up chasing the dream meaning some other local businesses may go to the wall.

Meanwhile, still in business pompy get relegated (probably would have happened anyway) and here's the kicker, they get given £13m in parachute payments to start again with another £13m the following year if they don't get promoted.

You gotta love football.

Z

zzzzSmiffy

I'm sorry for the genuine fans, even that tattooed loon with the rattle.

But at the end of the day......

a) They are Portsmouth
b) They overspent and must reap what they sowed
c) THEY ARE PORTSMOUTH

So......

Oh Happy day :D

A

andyr1963

I think this is good news in that Pompey are only going into admin rather than going bust. At least this means they can complete their fixtures and get relegated in the proper manner. :grin:
If they had not completed their fixtures then my £10 bet that they would be relegated @ 7/1 would be null and void. Portsmouth getting relegated and earning me money, whats not to like. :grin:

Going down, going down, going down
Going down going down going down
going down going down GOING DOWN :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Babararacucudada":14nfc1o6 said:
That'll leave the other non-football creditors whistling for their money and having to accept a 5% pay-off. Will HMRC stand for that? The signs are that they have had enough and will draw a line in the sand here which will blow football's cosy little "football first" arrangement apart.

That really would throw the cat amongst the pigeons as far as the wider football community is concerned.
Looking forward to it. Even as a football 'fanatic' I'm not prepared to excuse the excesses of the game. It's ridiculous and embarrassing.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Babararacucudada":1d40r573 said:
Just read the following to see 2 wildly differing takes on the Pompey fiasco:

Harry Redknapp, the former manager who guided Portsmouth to their 2008 FA Cup triumph, urged the club's supporters to look on the bright side and insisted the team would make a quick return to the Premier League next season.

"Going into administration is the better of two evils," he said. "For the last few weeks they have been talking about going out of business, which is the last thing anybody wants.

"They have accepted they were going to get relegated anyway so they can go down and come back strong again. They can come straight back up again with that parachute money and the crowd behind them at home."

Redknapp added: "It has been amazing how it has gone at Portsmouth in the last eight months. We keep seeing owners coming in but then there's no money. At least they will still be there. They will go down but they will get the parachute money, £16million next year, £16million the year after.

"They have to rebuild and come back again. They can do that – they have done it before."

Or David Conn
Only one of them conveys the right message for football, and it isn't 'lovable' 'Arry. That even Lord Triesman feels he can't speak the truth is a disgrace. I don't expect the likes of the BBC or Sky to pursue the matter, because when the going gets tough they will support the 'product' every time and attempt to deflect criticism away from the industry that, in Sky's case, is the main reason for their continued existence. Someone else will have to take on the big boys, but who will have the guts to do it?