And two good articles putting ownership into perspective | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

And two good articles putting ownership into perspective

Sep 3, 2009
Good articles. David Conn is an excellent journalist, who cares about the fabric of football.

Good luck to the United fans trying to do something about the running of their club. It would be, as one of the articles says, all too easy for them to sit back and just enjoy the success they've had.

Feb 29, 2008
Rush Goalie":10bhf27v said:
Good articles. David Conn is an excellent journalist, who cares about the fabric of football.

Good luck to the United fans trying to do something about the running of their club. It would be, as one of the articles says, all too easy for them to sit back and just enjoy the success they've had.

If Utd lose Rooney thru injury or sale I think they could be another Liverpool :grin:

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
David Gill was very dismissive of having 40 owner and how it couldn't work.

I notice the current European Champions and an even richer club than them have 120,000 owners which seems to work Ok.

The Red Knights should put their 1BN into FC United of Manchester - build a new stadium and buy Giggs and Scholes. Manchester needs a team that the locals can support.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
spoons":9kn9r0vb said:
The Red Knights should put their 1BN into FC United of Manchester - build a new stadium and buy Giggs and Scholes. Manchester needs a team that the locals can support.

Eh? There are dozens of teams in the Manchester area: plenty for Mancunians to support. And I can't help thinking that the Red Knights buying into FCUM would go against the very ideal of what FCUM was set up for in the first place.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Anyone that supports FCUM is an uneducated idiot.

Whilst, I guess, it would be good for the Red Knights to purchase Manchester United, so long as they are paying their debts (which they are) I don't see the problem. It's hardly as if they have gone downhill since the Glazers have taken over.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Mario":llyhtr7u said:

Whilst, I guess, it would be good for the Red Knights to purchase Manchester United, so long as they are paying their debts (which they are) I don't see the problem. It's hardly as if they have gone downhill since the Glazers have taken over.

FCUM are one of the best things to happen to this rotten 'industry' for many, many years. They are a club which puts service to its community ahead of success on the field. It redefines what a 'club' should be to its members and supporters. They have a constitution that means growth of the club will not be at the expense of the ethos that the club has been built upon. They do fantastic work to bring football back to those alienated by the financial discrimination that takes place in modern football, as well as many other forms of discrimination. They are trying to relocate... to the heart of their community at a higher cost than going to some industrial estate. FCUM is not simply there as an entertainment business where you pay to see the 'product'. It is a vehicle for community development, inclusiveness, ethical practice in sport, anti-discrimination campaigns, and as a national representative for grass-roots supporters groups and movements across Europe.

AFC Wimbledon have done similar things since their formation, and AFC Liverpool whilst not rejecting Liverpool FC are attempting to bring back in disaffected members of the Liverpool family.

The fans have a voice again, and I for one think it is marvelous.

Dec 8, 2009
Asia
Rush Goalie":2kwkc67r said:

Good luck is right. I can't understand, absent a strike by fans to tank the club's revenues, how all this tough talk about buying the club from the Glazers is helpful. They own it privately and have only one compelling reason to sell -- big bucks. Seem to me like the negotiation, if there's going to be one, got off on the wrong foot.

Yes, I agree, RG, David Conn is a wonderful writer.

Mar 2, 2008
Mario":13sinyfd said:

As opposed to an educated idiot? :?