Gordon Taylor | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Gordon Taylor

A

Anonymous

Agreed.

He always talks like he has a reference book up his arse.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Babararacucudada":2uuev8ab said:
I'll defend them too.

http://babararacucudada.blogspot.com/20 ... wages.html

The wages paid are unreasonable but it is not the fault of the players for receiving what the clubs fall over each other to give, is it?

I agree.... despite the debts of clubs, there are billions flowing into the English game (well, mainly the Premier League), how the clubs manage their finances is up to them. You never saw players complain about low wages before the influx of foreign players 15 years ago.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Clarke_B":tizw9wpq said:
It's the agents which are the problem, not the players.
Pretty much. They know how to 'play' the game. I'd like to see the PFA accept some responsibility for the way the game's going though and negotiate some sort of pay structure with the FA. The image of the game would increase ten-fold if the top players showed a bit of respectability, responsibility and humanity for a change.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Green_Matt":e0itxwmq said:
Clarke_B":e0itxwmq said:
It's the agents which are the problem, not the players.
Pretty much. They know how to 'play' the game. I'd like to see the PFA accept some responsibility for the way the game's going though and negotiate some sort of pay structure with the FA. The image of the game would increase ten-fold if the top players showed a bit of respectability, responsibility and humanity for a change.

and watch all the top players sod off to the continent? Or maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
crownhillpilgrim":3t9uqtu0 said:
and watch all the top players sod off to the continent? Or maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Exactly, why would it be a bad thing? As long as England's players play here who cares? Only a small percentage of real fans get to see the top players in the flesh anyway, if you want to watch them on tv it makes no difference if they're playing for Man City or Grampus Eight, so you're not depriving anyone of anything. The 'best league in the world' mantra is just propaganda spread by Sky etc who have something to sell.

Jan 2, 2005
Plymouth
Of course their wages are fair. The market is governed by supply and demand. There is huge demand for quality footballers and a small supply, therefore the cost of the players rises.

If us fans didn't demand so much football, and there were thousands of quality players, wage levels would be a lot lower

And imagine you are working in Tesco on the checkout for £5 per hour, and Asda come along and offer you £15 per hour to do the same job, would you say 'no, that is too much money'? Somehow I don't think so

A

Anonymous

You're right, but I wouldn't expect my union rep to be on £475,000 per year though.

A

Anonymous

IJN":2w1jf5la said:
You're right, but I wouldn't expect my union rep to be on £475,000 per year though.

for doing almost nothing its alright for some ain't it,

A

Anonymous

penzancepirate":1jhhn696 said:
IJN":1jhhn696 said:
Agreed.

Certainly no one could ever accuse you of that.

Thank you pp, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. :lol:

G

Gareth Nicholson

penzancepirate":23cbfkk3 said:
IJN":23cbfkk3 said:
Agreed.

Certainly no one could ever accuse you of that.

We all know the income of players is madness under a skewed market place and that Taylor is paid to represent player views, so his comments are no surprise.

I have no problem with people earning very well provided their work is useful, and wealth creating in a real sense, not a paper sense. Football is not creating wealth, just huge debt.

We have different tax systems for the agricultural indusry, the fishing industry, the self employed, I think we should have a special tax system for the football industry. Tax them until their boots squeak ... they've got nowhere to go, and after all, they'll play for any amount of money. The industry is running out of control in this country and the whole of Europe know it. It is also encouraging people in other industries to keep up the wage chase.... many investment bankers cite football when defending their own bonuses.

I can't see that having any effect. I remember reading somewhere that the top earners were setting up off-the-shelf companies and having their wages paid into those companies for 'services rendered'. The companies of course were registered in tax havens. Thing is, who's going to kick up a fuss about it? The Murdoch press? Nah, News International pay virtually no tax in the UK. Even the Guardian benefits from exploiting tax laws.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
dani_B":3355vpr9 said:
Of course their wages are fair. The market is governed by supply and demand. There is huge demand for quality footballers and a small supply, therefore the cost of the players rises.

If us fans didn't demand so much football, and there were thousands of quality players, wage levels would be a lot lower

And imagine you are working in Tesco on the checkout for £5 per hour, and Asda come along and offer you £15 per hour to do the same job, would you say 'no, that is too much money'? Somehow I don't think so
Yes, it's the capitalist model at work. Of course we'd all like a pay rise and yes the players are not necessarily to be blamed for accepting the offers. But they are part of the problem by identifying the potential and then demanding it. What would be better is if the wealth was shared out a bit more but if you're happy for the world's 1% to get richer while the rest of us are played like mugs then that's up to you.