No more offsides? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

No more offsides?

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Two things would happen if this rule was abolished.

1) Argyle would be the greatest team in the world. Our long ball skills simply dwarf everyone elses.

2) Ruud van Nistelrooy would be worth an exceptional amount of money.

D

David Whitehouse

The current offside rule gives me brain damage when I try to think about it, I simply can't understand what is going on when I watch sometimes.
What on earth is the point of it? Old-style offside was fine for me but it would be interesting to see what would happen with none at all.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Nothing better than watching Henry in his prime take the pi55 out of the opposition's offside trap with a run that had perfect timing and trajectory.

A slow witted full-back ruining a teams attempt at springing the offside trap often allows for some pretty good goals.

H

hicky4

pontypoolgreen":3ladzj84 said:
I always preferred the old rules, none of this "active" nonsense.

If you were off, you were off, simple.

and it you aren't interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the field

B

Ben Mumford

How the hell is this man FIFA president. Why has no one credible come forward as an opposition and why is the voice of the man on the terrace not being heard. :twisted:

C

Cult Of Personality

If this happened

We are going to win the CL in 5 years if we bring back luggy

now being serious

the only good thing sepp blatter even did or said was for women to wear tighter shorts :)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
hicky4":76x5v21r said:
pontypoolgreen":76x5v21r said:
I always preferred the old rules, none of this "active" nonsense.

If you were off, you were off, simple.

and it you aren't interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the field

This is all a myth. The Offside Law is now clearer than it has ever been (in it's written form anyway). It now tells you exactly what is and what's not interfering with play and simply being on the field of play isn't one of them.

Coaches don't like the law as it is now because over the years they came up with this thing called the offside trap. In theory now, the offside trap can't work as effectively as it once did and coaches haven't found a way around the new law that would work reliably.

M

MylesPAFC

Such a joke, the tactics of the game will be changed all together. All the strikers will sit on the 18 yard box, pretty much everyone is going to have to be man marked. It initially sounds like it could make the game more exciting but it would just be dreadful.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
The offside rule was a big improvement to the game. I wish all these poncy 'decision makers' would just leave the bloody game alone and fudge orf.

G

Greenskin

Can't see an abolition of the offside rule coming into being,but if the lawmakers wanted to dilute the offside influence,how about two lines across the pitch,one in each half from touchline to touchline and with the lines touching the apex of the D on the edge of each penalty area.In other words,you could only be offside in the 20 odd yards between tthe apex of the D and the byline.Would certainly open the game up,maybe worth an experimental match.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
MylesPAFC":25h1ej7a said:
Such a joke, the tactics of the game will be changed all together. All the strikers will sit on the 18 yard box, pretty much everyone is going to have to be man marked. It initially sounds like it could make the game more exciting but it would just be dreadful.

The very reasons that offside was brought in in the first place.

A

Anonymous

The Offside Law is now clearer than it has ever been

You're havin' a giraffe aintcha Lundan innit.

Well, at least I thought you were until I started to type out the old offside laws about 2 defenders (including the keeper), ball being played towards the defending goal by a team member, etc., etc.

The old laws were certainly the easiest to understand from the terraces though, especially if you happened to be in line with the defenders.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Greenskin":a4yeaic3 said:
Can't see an abolition of the offside rule coming into being,but if the lawmakers wanted to dilute the offside influence,how about two lines across the pitch,one in each half from touchline to touchline and with the lines touching the apex of the D on the edge of each penalty area.In other words,you could only be offside in the 20 odd yards between tthe apex of the D and the byline.Would certainly open the game up,maybe worth an experimental match.

It has already been experimented a long while back in what was called the Watney Cup. The 18 yard line was extended to each touchline and you could only be offside in those 18 yards from the goaline.