Semi-pro football | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Semi-pro football

Feb 8, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrapFmR ... re=related

Is it just me or is the standard not what you'd think? Probably best to go to some games in the flesh to get a better gist of it but to me it seems like Sunday league football with a bit more ball play. I miss playing 11 a side football ... but I don't miss Sunday League. I almost fancy giving semi-pro a crack .. nothing to lose I suppose.

Infact does anyone know the best place to access an up-to-date ladder of non-league tables and teams etc?? And does anyone know off the top of their head the nearest club to the centre of Birmingham?? Nearest I could find was Solihull although that was about 6 miles away ...

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
I have seen quite a bit of this division (Ryman Prem) this season. Dartford are walking away with the league and will be challenging for promotion into the Blue Square Prem next season. Harrow Borough are also a top-half team, with a 'keeper that has played in the African Nations Cup.

The standard is far far superior to sunday league. The fitness levels required for this level are a step up,and the intensity is greater. The football is not always like watching Barcelona but I have seen some goals scored that a sunday league side could never score. There are mistakes but where the difference seems to lie is in the players' speed of thought and awareness.

This video does not do the teams justice. The grass is so long on that pitch that the ball hadly rolls. Also, you film an Argyle game at pitch level with a cheap videocamera and you'll be suprised at how poor it looks.

Jul 24, 2006
Plymouth
Golden Hind":1u18aq16 said:
I have seen quite a bit of this division (Ryman Prem) this season. Dartford are walking away with the league and will be challenging for promotion into the Blue Square Prem next season. Harrow Borough are also a top-half team, with a 'keeper that has played in the African Nations Cup.

The standard is far far superior to sunday league. The fitness levels required for this level are a step up,and the intensity is greater. The football is not always like watching Barcelona but I have seen some goals scored that a sunday league side could never score. There are mistakes but where the difference seems to lie is in the players' speed of thought and awareness.

This video does not do the teams justice. The grass is so long on that pitch that the ball hadly rolls. Also, you film an Argyle game at pitch level with a cheap videocamera and you'll be suprised at how poor it looks.

Ummm no i dont think i would at the moment actually :lol:

Aug 17, 2006
CoulsdonGreen":w92uwv34 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrapFmRfWE&feature=related

Infact does anyone know the best place to access an up-to-date ladder of non-league tables and teams etc?? And does anyone know off the top of their head the nearest club to the centre of Birmingham?? Nearest I could find was Solihull although that was about 6 miles away ...

http://www.mikeavery.co.uk/index.html

Go here to learn everything about non-league including maps showing where every team is located.

Feb 14, 2007
Taunton
It's pretty poor yeah. I play Sunday morning football and often find myself up against Taunton Town players, who play 3 divisions below the Conference.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
CD, I discussed semi-pro with you a while ago, via PM. I played for Callington, and the standard is a lot higher when you play, trust me.

If you're thinking of giving semi-pro 'a crack', I'd suggest, in the nicest possible way, you're not good enough. If you were, you'd be there by now, you'd have ben sounded out, even if it was by somone who knew someone. I really don't mean to sound harsh, but it's the truth :wink:

Golden Hind's comments are spot on.

Jul 3, 2006
Most sunday leagues or district leagues have a smattering of players who could play higher up the pyramid but don't for whatever reason (generally laziness or a desire to play on the same team as their mates in my experience).

I remember a local non-league coach moaning about how he'd lost half his squad to Sunday morning football when I lived in Brighton a few years ago.

One thing I would say to Coulsdon is that there have been quite a few occasions when I've been a sub in a game and thought the standard looked absolutely pitiful, only to not get a kick when I finally got on :)