I should have been a Football scout – I’ve spotted a gem | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

I should have been a Football scout – I’ve spotted a gem

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I was flicking thru’ the channels last night and saw this little bloke in one of them foreign matches called Messi. He was really bleddy good !!!

Now I know money is tight and we don’t want to go the way of Pompey but I reckon he could save us from relegation so I say we should throw caution to the wind and offer at least £750K plus all the pasties he can eat ……we could even throw in Fallon as part exchange. Does anyone have Mariner’s e-mail address?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Seriously though……..wasn’t he just brilliant?

They were making comparisons with Rooney and Ronaldo – but TBH I never took to Ronaldo at all. He has none of the subtlety or artistry for want of a better word that Messi has - it’s all speed, flashy tricks and long range blasts which admittedly are terrifically effective but aesthetically just doesn’t do it for me the way that Messi does. Rooney comes close at times – it amazes me how such an un-athletic looking, ugly & borderline fat bloke can suddenly become quite graceful with a ball at his feet. But even he is put in the shade by Messi. That second goal when he got the ball, absolutely nothing was on and there was a mass of players in front of him, but he spotted the movement of the player running into the box with some sort of peripheral vision and played the most exquisite chipped ball through with just the right back-spin to completely open up the defence. Just amazing – when sport becomes art – and is something Ronaldo couldn’t do in a million years.

May 22, 2006
I believe I've seen some of this boy on you tube.

Might be worth inviting him down here for a trial. Maybe we could stick him in the rezzies for a couple of games. Wouldn't change a winning team though, so if he signed today he'd have to make do with a place on the bench.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Messi played well but the commentators didn't half lick his ass. They made it sound like we were watching a life changing performance that we'd never forget when quite frankly Rooney has been playing a lot better all season. You wouldn't catch Messi running 50 yards to defend - the length of the pitch back and score or set up a good scoring chance.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Lloyd-Davies14":2hf3advw said:
Messi played well but the commentators didn't half lick his ass. They made it sound like we were watching a life changing performance that we'd never forget when quite frankly Rooney has been playing a lot better all season. You wouldn't catch Messi running 50 yards to defend - the length of the pitch back and score or set up a good scoring chance.

Errrrr……you are kidding – right?

Anyway have a look at this – there is a an incredible goal at the end (4.14min in to be precise) that is almost a carbon copy of Maradonna’s famous goal against England in the hand-of-God match. (Heresy to say it but perhaps even better?) Eat my Goal!!!

A

argyle_till_i_die

Lloyd-Davies14":1c5x5de7 said:

you couldnt have been watching the game. he lost the ball twice during the game due to a poor first touch and both times he popped a bollock to win the ball back. admittedly he did foul the opposing player on each occasion but the desire to roll his sleves up and work for the team is plain to see.

I wouldn't say Rooney has been a lot better but i guess it's down to personal opinion

Aug 22, 2006
argyle_till_i_die":45760uk9 said:
Lloyd-Davies14":45760uk9 said:

you couldnt have been watching the game. he lost the ball twice during the game due to a poor first touch and both times he popped a bollock to win the ball back. admittedly he did foul the opposing player on each occasion but the desire to roll his sleves up and work for the team is plain to see.

I wouldn't say Rooney has been a lot better but i guess it's down to personal opinion

Exactly.
I would also like to point out that the commentators half li*ck rooney's ass just as much in this country.
Rooney/Ronaldo/Messi - all brilliant players, one is probably slightly better than the other but there is no big gap, let's admire them all - people love to over exaggerage - AVE IT - A nice post from youy but your part about "when sport becomes art – and is something Ronaldo couldn’t do in a million years" is hilarious. If he couldn't do it in a million years then what about someone like Antonio Valencia? A billion years perhaps? Your talking as though the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is like the gulf in class between Chris Clark and Ryan Giggs (circa 1999.)

Jul 3, 2006
argyle_till_i_die":15mhwitt said:
Lloyd-Davies14":15mhwitt said:

well said, he tracks back all the time. I remember watching him harrying a Real Madrid player earlier this season on the edge of the Barcelona box, and chuckling to myself at the thought of the pasoti pundits defending Steve Maclean's hands-in-pockets demeanour because a class player doesn't need to chase lost causes :)

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
MAZZA26":13pd1yly said:
Rooney/Ronaldo/Messi - all brilliant players, one is probably slightly better than the other but there is no big gap, let's admire them all - people love to over exaggerage - AVE IT - A nice post from youy but your part about "when sport becomes art – and is something Ronaldo couldn’t do in a million years" is hilarious. If he couldn't do it in a million years then what about someone like Antonio Valencia? A billion years perhaps? Your talking as though the gap between Messi and Ronaldo is like the gulf in class between Chris Clark and Ryan Giggs (circa 1999.)

Yeah well, I may have over-egged it a bit. I’ll give you that. But the point I was making (well exaggerating massively) was Ronaldo just doesn’t have the sheer finesse of Messi or Rooney. To me he is quite different to the other two in style – I maintain he doesn’t have the same footballing brain they have and would never have seen that pass Messi played let alone execute it so brilliantly. Yes he’s a tremendous player striking a ball or running at pace with all his fancy step-overs etc. but he doesn’t create chances from nothing the way Rooney & Messi can and needs more room to beat players. For that reason he just isn’t as pleasing on the eye IMO (yes I know I’m getting all arty-farty here!). I’d put Messi closer to Maradonna than anyone I’ve seen since – but to be really great they need to dominate in a World Cup Finals……looking forward to see which of them grabs the chance. I think we’d better leave Chris Clark out of this discussion.

Aug 22, 2006
Ave_IT":394v3y0m said:
MAZZA26":394v3y0m said:

Yeah well, I may have over-egged it a bit. I’ll give you that. But the point I was making (well exaggerating massively) was Ronaldo just doesn’t have the sheer finesse of Messi or Rooney. To me he is quite different to the other two in style – I maintain he doesn’t have the same footballing brain they have and would never have seen that pass Messi played let alone execute it so brilliantly. Yes he’s a tremendous player striking a ball or running at pace with all his fancy step-overs etc. but he doesn’t create chances from nothing the way Rooney & Messi can and needs more room to beat players. For that reason he just isn’t as pleasing on the eye IMO (yes I know I’m getting all arty-farty here!). I’d put Messi closer to Maradonna than anyone I’ve seen since – but to be really great they need to dominate in a World Cup Finals……looking forward to see which of them grabs the chance. I think we’d better leave Chris Clark out of this discussion.
:)

I know what you mean. I really really hope though that Messi fails to turn up against Greece. Years ago Nigeria, South Korea and Argentina would have been seen as a completely impossible tasks for the Greeks (in fact they were lousy at USA 94 when they came up against the Super Eagles at their best, along with the drug-fuelled maradona and his mates.)

In typical fashion both Nigeria and Argentian, after their really really dodgy qualification are going to go into the finals raring to go - Nigeria have a new coach (ex Sweden manager) to tighten them up and Argentina can't get any more wreckless than their qualifying campaign - the friendly against the Germans may suggest this.
So along with the Koreans who are always dangerous, I fear for the Greeks... BUT football is a funny old game. Both Rooney or Messi could fail in the world cup... and an unlikely hero may emerge - please step up... Sotiris Ninis!!!
Ok maybe not.

A

Andy_Lannie

Nah, no shape. Flash in the pan. If I had a quid for all the kids that think they are George Best I wouldn't be sitting here now.