Barcelona - the greatest team in the world? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Barcelona - the greatest team in the world?

Aug 16, 2009
Watching Barcelona this season, I have been impressed by their passing game, their ability to work and defend as a team unit and their creativity, just like everyone else probably is.

But can they really be the best team in the world, when they dive at the slightest contact? It's something that really grates on me - Xavi and Busquets especially last night seem to go down as if they were shot at the slightest touch. Even Messi, the supposed best player in the world at the moment seems to look for the slightest bit of contact when he has run out of steam.

My point is, the best football team in the world wouldn't succumb to the disease of diving, just because everyone else does it.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
TheGreenFairy":27mn6n83 said:
Watching Barcelona this season, I have been impressed by their passing game, their ability to work and defend as a team unit and their creativity, just like everyone else probably is.

But can they really be the best team in the world, when they dive at the slightest contact? It's something that really grates on me - Xavi and Busquets especially last night seem to go down as if they were shot at the slightest touch. Even Messi, the supposed best player in the world at the moment seems to look for the slightest bit of contact when he has run out of steam.

My point is, the best football team in the world wouldn't succumb to the disease of diving, just because everyone else does it.

I agree. The worst thing is that the continental referees stop the game and give free kicks for things that would be everyday challenges in the UK game. Dani alves is the worst of the lot though. He will fall at the drop of a hat.

The days when it used to be a contact sport eh!

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
It was ironic that despite all the hype about the beautiful game both their goals came from a lump forward of which we see many examples in the not so beautiful game in our games.

A

Andy_Lannie

To be honest the ref did make some mistakes. There were a lot of free kicks for very little and players were booked for what seemed fair challenges.

The best part of the whole game was the poison dwarfs red card. That made the whole game worth while.

I was a good game of football.

F

ffaf

spoons":2re0txes said:
It was ironic that despite all the hype about the beautiful game both their goals came from a lump forward of which we see many examples in the not so beautiful game in our games.

To be fair they weren't exactly Argyle style forward balls. There were decent runs in behind for both goals.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Definately the best team in the world.

They were brilliant at times last night and that's without Iniesta, who is absolutely quality.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
They are certainly the purist's choice and if they win the competition then it would be hard to argue against them. There's more than one way to skin a cat though and once the ar se overcame their fear and exploited the weaknesses in Barca's back four they could easily have won the game.

For me Inter have the best back four, Barca the best midfield, top that off with Rooney or Torres and you have a decent team. :)

C

Cult Of Personality

Babararacucudada":33js7d6o said:

No.

Second greatest?

Maybe.

As for the diving... Show me a team that doesn't do that. Arsenal have no right to be all high and mighty here: Pires was a genius at finding contact and hurling himself to the ground in the past and Eboué doesn't need any contact at all to do the same.

I don't recall much righteous indignation from Arsenal fans when Eboué dived to win the FK that led to their goal in the Champs League final when they played Barcelona. Perhaps Barcelona had that in mind last night?

What goes around goes around.

Barcelona where streets better than Arsenal last night and the final score is something of a mystery really.

So who is the best team in the world at the moment

Barcelona are Champions of Europe and even the god awful World Club Champions

So who in your mind is the greatest team at the moment in world football

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Babararacucudada":m3qpw5wn said:
pontypoolgreen":m3qpw5wn said:
crickeypafc":m3qpw5wn said:
Babararacucudada":m3qpw5wn said:

No.

Second greatest?

Maybe.

As for the diving... Show me a team that doesn't do that. Arsenal have no right to be all high and mighty here: Pires was a genius at finding contact and hurling himself to the ground in the past and Eboué doesn't need any contact at all to do the same.

I don't recall much righteous indignation from Arsenal fans when Eboué dived to win the FK that led to their goal in the Champs League final when they played Barcelona. Perhaps Barcelona had that in mind last night?

What goes around goes around.

Barcelona where streets better than Arsenal last night and the final score is something of a mystery really.

So who is the best team in the world at the moment

Barcelona are Champions of Europe and even the god awful World Club Champions

So who in your mind is the greatest team at the moment in world football

Plymouth Argyle of course...

:)

That was obviously a definite whoosh!!

Sometimes I really do wonder about some of the people who use this website... Just why are they here?

no mates? :(