England's World Cup squad - any surprises looming? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England's World Cup squad - any surprises looming?

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
I am sure that Don Fabio has his squad pretty much ready in his mind but it strikes me that one or two who were inked in a few months ago have had crap seasons...

John Terry is one - aside from being an odious individual - is he worth his place (if not then Capello might be able to pick Bridge)? Gerrard has been anonymous for the Scousers recently too but he is cleary going to be picked... Ferdinand doesn't seem to be fit for long... Heskey hardly features for Villa...

Do you think any of the established England players shouldn't travel to SA and which borderline players should go instead?

Z

ZZZZargyle_ender

Id take micheal dawson and adam johnson and possibly zamora

Would not take SWP

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Liffrok":yzzgjq8i said:
Still think they should take Wotton for the inevitable penalty shoot-out :)
:grin:

I'd personally take Zamora and not Heskey, Emile has been rubbish for England over the last few years.

M

MylesPAFC

Zamora definitely deserves a call up, what more can he do to credit one.

Mar 7, 2009
5 strikers. Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe and OWEN!

IMO, Owen has to go. I know he hasn't exactly been on hot form, but put him on in the last 15 minutes and he'll score you a goal. His instincts are just superb.

I'm pretty sure he's fit isn't he?

M

MylesPAFC

pilgrim_pete":1mdzrlds said:

IMO, Owen has to go. I know he hasn't exactly been on hot form, but put him on in the last 15 minutes and he'll score you a goal. His instincts are just superb.

Dont think so, pulled his hamstring in a carling cup match I think. If he was fit then I would definitely take him, but even if he was Capello wouldn't take him he has had no involvement in recent games.

Jul 23, 2008
St.Austell
MylesPAFC":1c6bk27p said:
pilgrim_pete":1c6bk27p said:

Dont think so, pulled his hamstring in a carling cup match I think. If he was fit then I would definitely take him, but even if he was Capello wouldn't take him he has had no involvement in recent games.
Pulled his hammy in CC final and hasn't played since. If he'd stayed fit I'd give him a chance of going, but Capello just hasn't seen him play enough.

Aug 22, 2006
pilgrim_pete":1b1vwojc said:

Owen and Heskey in front of Zamora and Bent???

That would be a travesty.

I feel sorry for Bent actually - scores goals even when out of form, is only 3 behind Rooney in the premier league chart, but no because "spurs" fans didn't rate him, and because everyone rates defoe they can't see a way in for Darren Bent who to be fair is the type of player that Martin O'Neill should have signed if he wanted to finish top 4. Instead he relied heavily on Agbonlahor, Carew (who is by far their best striker) and emile heskey.
People always say "yeah but he's not world class." I'm sorry but apart from a handful of England players who is world class?
Mind you what the hell do I know - Capello is the man, and actually if anything it's the Italian that will be key to England's success, without him I would have forecast a shambolic tournament.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
England World Cup squad - any surpries looming?

Read the papers tomorrow; i'm sure there will be some stuff in them which is going to put our plans to poo!

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
MAZZA26":3oethwq4 said:
pilgrim_pete":3oethwq4 said:

Owen and Heskey in front of Zamora and Bent???

That would be a travesty.

I feel sorry for Bent actually - scores goals even when out of form, is only 3 behind Rooney in the premier league chart, but no because "spurs" fans didn't rate him, and because everyone rates defoe they can't see a way in for Darren Bent who to be fair is the type of player that Martin O'Neill should have signed if he wanted to finish top 4. Instead he relied heavily on Agbonlahor, Carew (who is by far their best striker) and emile heskey.
People always say "yeah but he's not world class." I'm sorry but apart from a handful of England players who is world class?
Mind you what the hell do I know - Capello is the man, and actually if anything it's the Italian that will be key to England's success, without him I would have forecast a shambolic tournament.

If Bent isn't on the plane it will an absolute travesty - how many goals does he have to score to be picked? With 24 already for a side not exactly tearing the league apart what more does he have to do? He didn't get picked last time after scoring 20 for Charlton whilst Walcott having never scored or even played a game in the Premier League got picked in front of him.

Any other player from any other country would be picked for the world cup if they scored 24 goals in 'the best league in the world".

C

Charlie Wood

I've spent a long time hoping Carlton Cole would go instead of Heskey and then he got injured and now he back but playing like poo if yesterday was anything to go by, so there's not much chance of that happening.

Apr 15, 2008
London
spoons":bbw2p9wx said:
If Bent isn't on the plane it will an absolute travesty - how many goals does he have to score to be picked? With 24 already for a side not exactly tearing the league apart what more does he have to do? He didn't get picked last time after scoring 20 for Charlton whilst Walcott having never scored or even played a game in the Premier League got picked in front of him.

Any other player from any other country would be picked for the world cup if they scored 24 goals in 'the best league in the world".

I agree, but because he doesn't play for a 'top 6' side, no one could give a toss...

Actually, I think that's doing Capello a disservice.. Fabio is no mug, so maybe he'll sneak in the squad.

The trouble is, for strikers you have:

Rooney (cast iron certainty unless injured)
Dafoe (had a great season, a great sub)
Crouch (always scores goals and gives England the ariel option)
Heskey (useful player tactically)

If he takes another striker then it's between Bent and Agbonlahor, but I suspect he'll stick with the 4

Jul 3, 2006
I hope Defoe doesn't make the squad, yet everyone seems bewilderingly certain that he will. He's a better class of Jamie Mackie, rarely attempts a pass to a better-placed teammate and when he does he usually ends up punting the ball into the stands. And he inflates his record by scoring loads against Hull or Wigan then goes totally missing against the better defences. Bent has 24 premier league goals for a much poorer team and has scored against all the big 4 sides (albeit with beach ball assistance). I don't know what more he could have done.

Aug 16, 2009
crownhillpilgrim":2cw9z8tc said:
Crouch (always scores goals and gives England the ariel option)

God knows it's going to be hard to get the stains out of the white kit, so some support for the kitman would be appreciated. Good call.