The Kaiser speaks | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Kaiser speaks

O

oggyale

tonycholwell":1ifoarcd said:
oggyale":1ifoarcd said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8740637.stm

Im not sure there's anything to disagree with there.

Very true,especially concerning the Premier League.

I said many years ago in the 'Rub of The Greens' that England teams of the future would be made up of lower League players (possibly CCC/League 1),that has not happened as yet,but it surely can't be that far off,and that would be a major concern to all..

Once the current team start to retire from International football,England could be struggling for replacements of a certain standard.

Sep 13, 2003
oggyale":2cb3aeyk said:
tonycholwell":2cb3aeyk said:
oggyale":2cb3aeyk said:

I said many years ago in the 'Rub of The Greens' that England teams of the future would be made up of lower League players (possibly CCC/League 1),that has not happened as yet,but it surely it can't be that far off,and that would be a major concern to all..

Once the current team start to retire from International football,England could be struggling for replacements of a certain standard.

I disagree, our under 21 team is performing very well under Stuart Pearce. After this World Cup Carragher, Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Rio, James could all retire from the international team so more youngsters can be brought in.

A

andyr1963

Very similar article here http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 00580.html

I did not know that most of the other major leagues had been using this new ball since febuary. And that we haven't used it because the English leagues are under contract with Nike to provide the balls. :shock:

But, it is only the german Becks opinion innit, it's not like he has won much over the years, bledy loser, he even lost THE world cup final in '66 :lol:

May 2, 2007
seaton
It's a little early to start writing England off after one games isn't it? Yes the German's looked very impressive in their first game but surely his comments would have more bearing on the state of English football if he had made them at the end of the world cup with England doing badly.

As for young English players coming through, James Milner will soon become world class, Joe Hart?, I'm sure as one oldie leaves the team over the next few year a younger player will fill his boots. Let's not predict the future with doom and gloom just yet. For as long as I've watched fooball England have always been in or around the top 10 teams in the world. Can anyone really see that changing?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
As much as I despise what the PL has become it doesn’t make sense blaming it for England’s problems – we weren’t exactly world beaters in the 70’s & 80’s when we didn’t even qualify on occasions. At the moment we have got some decent players – much better than back then when we kidded ourselves the likes of Mick Channon was world class. To my surprise on Radio 5 there was a German journalist saying that in Germany the opinions of ‘the Kaiser’ are considered a bit of a joke as they change virtually from day to day. They then played a clip of him saying a just few weeks ago how Cappello had transformed England’s style and they could win the World Cup.

G

Gareth Nicholson

If England's problems were down to the Premier League it would be easy to fix. They're not.

Some might say it's because of an insular 'we know better' attitude that celebrated firstly work ethic and now individual skill or 'passion' over perfection of technique. There's a case to be made that we stopped learning in the 1950s, allowing virtually every Western European nation and many others to overtake us in churning out footballers whose first thought when receiving the ball wasn't 'how the hell am I going to control this' but rather 'where is it going next'.

Aug 16, 2009
Considering 2 Poles and a Brazilian scored for them, as well as having a Turk who got man of the match, and another Turk playing for them... Yes there may be not a large proportion of English players in the Premier League, but at least we don't poach other nations players.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Peter Ryan":3gzdpf9k said:
One of the benefits touted by the PL spinmeisters when it was created was that the national side would benefit.

That seems quite laughable now. The Kaiser is right.

What a load of cobblers.... a 1-1 draw against U.S.A and everyone is predicting the end of English football as we know it. What a bunch of tabloid-mentality drama queens people in this country are.

O

oggyale

Clarke_B":3pkcga9y said:
oggyale":3pkcga9y said:
tonycholwell":3pkcga9y said:
oggyale":3pkcga9y said:

I said many years ago in the 'Rub of The Greens' that England teams of the future would be made up of lower League players (possibly CCC/League 1),that has not happened as yet,but it surely it can't be that far off,and that would be a major concern to all..

I disagree, our under 21 team is performing very well under Stuart Pearce. After this World Cup Carragher, Gerrard, Terry, Lampard, Rio, James could all retire from the international team so more youngsters can be brought in.

That might be the case,but how many of these young stars will eventually be loaned out to CCC sides,and lower,in order to enhance their careers.

This will not benefit the England team at all (as they slowly slide down the World rankings),we all know what the Prem really think of the England team as it is.....

Apr 15, 2008
London
oggyale":2rbzj69h said:
Clarke_B":2rbzj69h said:
tonycholwell":2rbzj69h said:

That might be the case,but how many of these young stars will eventually be loaned out to CCC sides,and lower,in order to enhance their careers.

This will not benefit the England team at all (as they slowly slide down the World rankings),we all know what the Prem really think of the England team as it is.....

I thought we'd gone up the world rankings in the last 2 years.... though you're obviously not bothered Oggy, with your Brazilian flag avatar ;)

O

oggyale

crownhillpilgrim":1mly8ve7 said:
oggyale":1mly8ve7 said:
Clarke_B":1mly8ve7 said:
tonycholwell":1mly8ve7 said:

I thought we'd gone up the world rankings in the last 2 years.... though you're obviously not bothered Oggy, with your Brazilian flag avatar ;)

Well Brazil are a class act though. Let's hope we play them in the final?.

I have changed the flag now. It was due for a change anyway.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Gareth Nicholson":3pd3v0xv said:
If England's problems were down to the Premier League it would be easy to fix. They're not.

Some might say it's because of an insular 'we know better' attitude that celebrated firstly work ethic and now individual skill or 'passion' over perfection of technique. There's a case to be made that we stopped learning in the 1950s, allowing virtually every Western European nation and many others to overtake us in churning out footballers whose first thought when receiving the ball wasn't 'how the hell am I going to control this' but rather 'where is it going next'.

I think there is something deep in our football culture that’s a problem. How come the Dutch with fraction of our population churn out technically superior players generation after generation? We do produce top players but with the odd rare exceptions (Rooney and Joe Cole in this generation) they are not capable of the technical levels that even apparently bulk standard players achieve from other countries. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Barry, Lennon, SWP etc. are all truly outstanding in their own way but not at instantly controlling the ball and playing it quickly and accurately to retain possession in a way that comes so naturally to many foreign players. They all require a higher tempo ‘pressing’ game to shine and that doesn’t often happen at international level against top flight opposition who simply refuse to give you the ball.

Trevor Brooking always goes on about the coaching standards of kids and school football and I can’t help thinking the problem is there. My own lad (nearly 7) loves football and went to his first ‘tournament’ recently for under-7s. He (and I) both loved it but it was very competitive, and the emphasis was on “keep your position”, “be strong”, “pass it quickly”, “TACKLE HIM!!” etc. etc. All fast and furious and I admit I was as bad as anyone (worse probably) getting excited and shouting those sort of things from the sidelines. Like I say the kids and parents had a thoroughly enjoyable day (about 6 hours) and in terms of getting the kids doing something active and enjoying sport it was a success. In terms of developing football skills and technique it was a complete disaster – they learned to be quick and strong and move the ball quickly forward. I don’t know the answer and don’t know what they do in Holland & Spain but is it any wonder we produce thrusting midfielders in the Gerrard mould rather than the likes of Xavi and Iniesta who won’t even let him get the ball?