Chris Waddle ranting | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Chris Waddle ranting

T

Tyhee_Slim

Just heard him on 'This Morning' moaning about all the money in football, about Capello and how much he's paid, how we're coaching all the talent out of our kids, how we're just getting everything wrong basically.

I wonder how much he's being paid to be an 'expert' by the BBC and whether his time might actually be better spent using all this knowledge to improve the game. I'd draw the line at asking him to show kids how to take penalties obviously.

I feel pretty much the same when I see Lineker, Hansen, Shearer etc giving us their expert opinions on every facet of football, probably on nice big fat BBC contracts. If they care that much, and know that much, why the **** don't they give the game the benefit of their wisdom?

Jul 21, 2004
Well said, and let's not forget most of these guys with the exception of Lineker and Shearer at one tournament (Euro 96) weren't up to much when they played for England especially Waddle and Kenny Sanson who's bleating on TalkSport as I type.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Tyhee_Slim":7k4vnz7v said:
Just heard him on 'This Morning' moaning about all the money in football, about Capello and how much he's paid, how we're coaching all the talent out of our kids, how we're just getting everything wrong basically.

I wonder how much he's being paid to be an 'expert' by the BBC and whether his time might actually be better spent using all this knowledge to improve the game. I'd draw the line at asking him to show kids how to take penalties obviously.

I feel pretty much the same when I see Lineker, Hansen, Shearer etc giving us their expert opinions on every facet of football, probably on nice big fat BBC contracts. If they care that much, and know that much, why the **** don't they give the game the benefit of their wisdom?

At a blind guess: safety and money. Andy Gray set the trend when Sky Sports originally won football rights and decided it was a better career move to be a pundit than in football management, albeit as an assistant.

Lineker made a similar move and the BBC stayed with him longer than their pundits do with England managers until they thought he'd risen to "competent"

Shearer probably finds it more rewarding and stress free being a pundit ratherthan a manager or coach and will continue the trend.

May 2, 2007
seaton
On Radio 5 after the game Chris Waddle was saying much the same thing. A good point was made by either David Pleat or Graham Taylor during the discussion saying the there's alot of exs English managers and player who can't find a place in fooball, the F.A don't seem interested in having them on board. Amazing the only ex footballer involved at a high level with the F.A is Trevor Brooking.

In my opinion after hearing Graham Taylor talk many times on football I'm amazing at how the F.A wouldn't want someone like him involved in the development of the game in England.

Also why has the F.A centre of exerlence still not been built? £20-£40 million spent now may pay off in the long term. Will pay £6millon a year for Capello could that sort of money be spent on getting the best youth coaches from around the world to teach our kids aspects of the game in which we are lacking??

Bang on Graham Taylor may of had an ilfated time in charge of England but he has a wealth of knowledge and experience and would be an asset to the development of youngsters!

Glenn Hoddle has got it right with his accadamey in Spain with people who want to be in football, fair enough it is still cutting it's teeth but we need more of these. Perhaps Hoddle could come back to the UK and set up and accadamey with Waddle with Graham Taylor as an advisor at liaiser between it and the FA.

I guess Hoddle and Waddle could call it Diamond Lights cetntre of football excellence!!

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Looking at some of the players in the current team I'm not sure how many of them could even spell manager, let alone be one! The future is not bright for England until finances and ridiculous gimmmicks like Fabio '£6m' Capello take a back seat to sport.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Hanson has collected his nice comfy wage sat in the studio telling every manager out there how to do it without ever attempting managing a club himself. Why surely with all the sage advice he has to offer he should have guided Scotland to the world cup final by now.

D

David Whitehouse

Tyhee_Slim":oydjbb4a said:

To be fair Craig Johnston did try to do that and it didn't get him very far.

Best summary of the situation I've seen, though it is and old one.

In his own words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aBiTnUqW8

Apr 15, 2008
London
up_the_line":3l9v5pt4 said:
Hanson has collected his nice comfy wage sat in the studio telling every manager out there how to do it without ever attempting managing a club himself. Why surely with all the sage advice he has to offer he should have guided Scotland to the world cup final by now.

Why not. I enjoy reading film reviews. In most cases, I'm sure the reviewer couldn't write or direct a decent film, but that doesn't invalidate their opinions.