Mexico manager being a bit hard on himself? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mexico manager being a bit hard on himself?

Sep 13, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 777834.stm

He has resigned saying he failed and expects to be out of work for a while.

Personally Mexico were a breath of fresh air in the World Cup, young talented players with lots of pace and flair who can pass the ball. If Hernandez started all the group games they probably would have finished top and avoided Argentina. How fat Blanco started ahead of Javier against Uruguay I will never understand.

Like Chile, Mexico should be in the quarter finals.

Sep 13, 2003
Tyhee_Slim":39l7z8ch said:
Clarke_B":39l7z8ch said:

Why?

Because they were exciting attacking teams who were unlucky in the draw...ie Chile facing Brazil and Mexico facing Argentina in the 2nd round. If they got Japan, Ghana etc in the 2nd I have no doubt they would have beaten them and progressed.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Clarke_B":26eddybz said:
Tyhee_Slim":26eddybz said:
Clarke_B":26eddybz said:

Why?

Because they were exciting attacking teams who were unlucky in the draw...ie Chile facing Brazil and Mexico facing Argentina in the 2nd round. If they got Japan, Ghana etc in the 2nd I have no doubt they would have beaten them and progressed.

If they'd won their groups they would have avoided Brazil and Argentina. The draw is sort of designed to favour the teams that win their groups so it has, in effect, done its job.

As it happens, I think that your assumption that they would have beaten Japan and Ghana is a bit off the mark as well. Both Chile and Mexico proved to be teams that flattered to deceive in my opinion.