Question: Peter Reid & Maradona | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Question: Peter Reid & Maradona

Nov 12, 2003
Was Peter Reid playing for England during the "Hand of God" incident ?

I thought that Reid was one of the England players that Maradona skips past when he scored his brilliant second goal in 1986.

Maradona kicked ass in those days- I don't like England players criticising him because it makes them look daft. I'm sure the likes of Terry Butcher would be happy to score with his hand if could get away with it !!

Aug 17, 2006
lunarjetman":2ubpu2u5 said:

I thought that Reid was one of the England players that Maradona skips past when he scored his brilliant second goal in 1986.

Maradona kicked ass in those days- I don't like England players criticising him because it makes them look daft. I'm sure the likes of Terry Butcher would be happy to score with his hand if could get away with it !!

First up, England players can look daft without involving Maradona thankyou very much.
Secondly, his handball in the 1886 World Cup was not some isolated incident, some one off misdemeanour. Let's not forget the 1990 WC game against Russia when he handled on the line in the same manner as Kewell / Suarez and got away with it. No card, no penalty. Somehow these things get airbrushed out of the history books when in fact they are evidence of the man's real character.
There might indeed have been times when he excelled on the field of play. Off it he has shown himself to be a charmless drunk who has abused drugs, cheated on his wife and failed to pay his taxes.

Camberwick Green":39s0ejmw said:
lunarjetman":39s0ejmw said:

First up, England players can look daft without involving Maradona thankyou very much.
Secondly, his handball in the 1886 World Cup was not some isolated incident, some one off misdemeanour. Let's not forget the 1990 WC game against Russia when he handled on the line in the same manner as Kewell / Suarez and got away with it. No card, no penalty. Somehow these things get airbrushed out of the history books when in fact they are evidence of the man's real character.
There might indeed have been times when he excelled on the field of play. Off it he has shown himself to be a charmless drunk who has abused drugs, cheated on his wife and failed to pay his taxes.

I think all of those things you've said about Peter Reid are a bit harsh personally....now if you were talking about Maradona then thats different! :wink:

Apr 15, 2008
London
Camberwick Green":1em57dkt said:
lunarjetman":1em57dkt said:

Thanks for the sermon, Reverend.

D

ddoidge2005

I don't think it was the 1886 world cup as that would mean that they would be over 100 years old. I think you mean the 1986 world cup.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Camberwick Green":3ar5hf6s said:
lunarjetman":3ar5hf6s said:

There may have been times when he excelled?.....You mean in the same way that Michelangelo sometimes painted some very nice pictures and Mozart came up with some good tunes?

Nov 12, 2003
I've just realised that's two Argyle mangers which Maradona made a monkey out of (Reid and Shilton).

I think Sturrock was at that World Cup as well.

G

Greenskin

lunarjetman":hwb5ohrt said:
I've just realised that's two Argyle mangers which Maradona made a monkey out of (Reid and Shilton).

I think Sturrock was at that World Cup as well.

He was.He got a mention today on ESPN sports classics,they showed the game between Scotland and West Germany,Luggy was injured.He played in the other two games and i think a certain Mr A.Ferguson,who was Scotlands manager,rated him as their best player in the tournament.

Maybe Terry Fenwick will be the next Argyle manager to keep the "beaten by Maradona in 1986" sequence going.Hand of God forbid.

M

misophotography

Do the Argentinians, I wonder, obssess about the fact that Michael Owen dived for two penalties at two seperate world cups against them, like the English do over the Hand of God incident?

G

Greenskin

misophotography":27fxbcvr said:
Do the Argentinians, I wonder, obssess about the fact that Michael Owen dived for two penalties at two seperate world cups against them, like the English do over the Hand of God incident?

Maybe.Beckenbauer certainly is still bugged by the 1966 Geoff Hurst goal.TBF,the Owen penalties weren't quite as clear cut cheating as the Maradona handball,but personally i've never blamed him anyway,he only did what a vast majority of players would have done, given the chance.And also TBF,although it has to be said that England do tend to play badly in major tournaments,poor decisions seem to follow them like a bad smell-i seem to remember Sol Campbell having a couple of seemingly good goals disallowed at crucial moments against Portugal and Argentina,as well as this years injustice.