Hats off to Bellamy | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Hats off to Bellamy

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Quite rightly most focus on Bellamy's loan to Cardiff has been about the power Man City have, whether the Bluebirds can afford it and now debts to Motherwell. But if press reports are to be believed, I think we are overlooking an interesting element. If Bellamy has moved club so he can be closer to his family, and help his home-town club get promoted, isn't that very laudable? Wouldn't we love it if Plymouth produced a quality player who decided to spend the end of his career to try and help get his home town club promoted?

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
Nicky Barmby did the the same for Hull. With the added bonus that they didn't need to pay £50k a week for such a tremendous gesture. Bellamy had very few options if he wanted to keep all his wages, either Scotland or the Championship(assuming he wanted to stay in Britain). Cardiff are the only championship club irresponsible enough the pay such a wage.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
boletus edulis":1a5qbgxy said:
Quite rightly most focus on Bellamy's loan to Cardiff has been about the power Man City have, whether the Bluebirds can afford it and now debts to Motherwell. But if press reports are to be believed, I think we are overlooking an interesting element. If Bellamy has moved club so he can be closer to his family, and help his home-town club get promoted, isn't that very laudable? Wouldn't we love it if Plymouth produced a quality player who decided to spend the end of his career to try and help get his home town club promoted?

We did...Micky Evans. :grin:

G

Gareth Nicholson

Very laudable. But the 'i've supported them all my life' stuff is a bit dodgy, seeing as he said exactly the same thing when he signed for Liverpool.

"The fact that it was Liverpool made it impossible for me to turn them down. As I'm a fan, it doesn't matter what club I was at. I could never turn Liverpool down" - Craig Bellamy on signing for Liverpool, June 22, 2006.

"I'm thrilled to be coming back home to Cardiff and am excited at the prospect of wearing the shirt and playing for the club I've supported since I was a boy" - Craig Bellamy on signing for Cardiff, August 17, 2010.

Apr 19, 2006
near Aberdeen
Gareth Nicholson":27oo4b88 said:
Very laudable. But the 'i've supported them all my life' stuff is a bit dodgy, seeing as he said exactly the same thing when he signed for Liverpool.

"The fact that it was Liverpool made it impossible for me to turn them down. As I'm a fan, it doesn't matter what club I was at. I could never turn Liverpool down" - Craig Bellamy on signing for Liverpool, June 22, 2006.

"I'm thrilled to be coming back home to Cardiff and am excited at the prospect of wearing the shirt and playing for the club I've supported since I was a boy" - Craig Bellamy on signing for Cardiff, August 17, 2010.

Come on Gareth, be fair. Liverpool, Cardiff. It's so easy to mix those two places up isn't it? Seeing as they only have the letters "i" and "r" in common I mean. :roll:

Dec 7, 2006
boletus edulis":1wcwwuys said:
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more - he, like 99.9% of Prem footballers only care about one thing above all others....$$$$$$. Bear in mind that he'll still be on 90K a week. :twisted:

Y2J

Dec 28, 2004
Cornwall
Gareth Nicholson":vm1vq626 said:

That line usually seems to appear when a player joins Celtic too. Always makes me laugh.

Mar 11, 2008
Bsingstoke
boletus edulis":3oeeeg21 said:

Hmm, you do not seem to have universal support for your view here B.E!!

FWIW, i agree with just about everything written on the replies above. :wink:

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Yes it must be tough being able to live in your home town, play at a level below your capabilities thus getting hero status and drawing a salary £4.7M for doing it.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
Marlin":1a358vwm said:
boletus edulis":1a358vwm said:

Hmm, you do not seem to have universal support for your view here B.E!!

FWIW, i agree with just about everything written on the replies above. :wink:

That's okay Marlin, I'll live. This is after all a discussion forum not a consensus forum :wink:

May 2, 2007
seaton
boletus edulis":2gkgs1at said:

I happen to argee with you B E, I guess the responses would be different if it was someone other then Craig Bellamy, Man City and Cardiff involved.

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
RCC Green":itly3qm9 said:
boletus edulis":itly3qm9 said:

I happen to argee with you B E, I guess the responses would be different if it was someone other then Craig Bellamy, Man City and Cardiff involved.

Really? you think the response might be different if every single aspect of the transfer was different. :lol: :wink:

Craig should have taken up the option of retiring from football... oh wait yeah he wouldn't get his £90,000 a week if he did that is that right?!?!

With Cardiff being in debt and having the tax man knocking on their door every month it is an outrage they are allowed to sign him, with Cardiff picking up a fair wedge of his wage bill they are basically sticking it in the faces of their debtors.

Never liked Cardiff and dislike them evwen more for this act of blatent cheating. I hop etwo things happen, 1, Bellamy has an injury which rules him out for the rest of the season but not serious enough to ruin his career with Cardiff having to keep him on their books and 2, Cardiff go into administration lose 10 points are relegated and go out of business setting up in the league of wales, afterall they are in the English league and they are not even English!

Swansea can stay as they seem an Ok club and place not full of scummy chavvy supporters like Cardiff!

Rant over!

T

tuscaloosa

He will not last long at Cardiff, remember he is that good that Championship football will seem very stale to him after a while.
Plus remember that he is not exactly starting out, he must be worth a bob or two now.
If Cardiff dont do well ie very near the top of the table be honest would you stay at Cardiff, all the moaners there. This year the supporters must think they are certs for promotion so if it doesnt work out he might well get the brunt of the criticisms.