Oyston Resigns | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Oyston Resigns

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Probably down to the fact that they couldn't sign anyone due to agents demands and ended up bringing in a few players at the last minute. Funny time to do it having won the first game 4-0.

M

Mike Hughes

He seems to have stuck to his guns regarding agent involvement and not breaking the wage structure. Looks like his other board members want to gamble a bit more.

Aug 7, 2005
Paignton
Mike Hughes":z3fybhmu said:
He seems to have stuck to his guns regarding agent involvement and not breaking the wage structure. Looks like his other board members want to gamble a bit more.

it's an admirable idea to have a 10k wage cap but to be realistic agents and players know what sort of cash is around when a team makes it to the premiership and know they could sign for another club for double that.

This just goes to show that unless a wage cap of some form becomes compulsory you're fighting a losing battle trying to pioneer it on your own.

When you see a club trying to operate sensibly vs. cardiff paying a player 50k pw in the division below it makes me sad. Because the sensible approach will never be allowed to succeed and the premier league will probably be glad to see the back of upstarts like blackpool but will roll out the red carpet for a side as fiscally irresponsible as cardiff as they will throw their money at enough players to make their sky matches a bit more interesting. Pompey will be forgotten and no lessons will be learnt until a more 'fashionable' side goes to the wall properly.

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
jimbo_the_green":y9t72x68 said:
Mike Hughes":y9t72x68 said:

it's an admirable idea to have a 10k wage cap but to be realistic agents and players know what sort of cash is around when a team makes it to the premiership and know they could sign for another club for double that.

This just goes to show that unless a wage cap of some form becomes compulsory you're fighting a losing battle trying to pioneer it on your own.

When you see a club trying to operate sensibly vs. cardiff paying a player 50k pw in the division below it makes me sad. Because the sensible approach will never be allowed to succeed and the premier league will probably be glad to see the back of upstarts like blackpool but will roll out the red carpet for a side as fiscally irresponsible as cardiff as they will throw their money at enough players to make their sky matches a bit more interesting. Pompey will be forgotten and no lessons will be learnt until a more 'fashionable' side goes to the wall properly.

:iagree:

Dec 7, 2006
I have nothing but the greatest respect for people like Oyston who refuse to be part of the stinking, greed-obsessed sewer that is the Sky/ Premier League old-boy network. Obscene telephone number salaries, financial skullduggery, parasistic vermin aka agents, total disdain for the average fan - it's nothing but a crooked self-serving cartel where money is the ONLY motivation, imho. Why decent clubs like ours ever aspire to be part of that farce escapes me sometimes. :twisted:

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Obviously wanted to retain as much of the Premiershite money, before they get relegated. Good sense IMHO, to allow building up of the club infrastructure without massive borrowing.

Others not always so keen when there's excitement to be had fighting the drop. With Hollowords, its a possibility I guess. Time will tell, did they waste the money in salaries and agent fees, or use it to get another wedge next season for staying up.

T

tuscaloosa

FordGreen":earnkk6t said:
I have nothing but the greatest respect for people like Oyston who refuse to be part of the stinking, greed-obsessed sewer that is the Sky/ Premier League old-boy network. Obscene telephone number salaries, financial skullduggery, parasistic vermin aka agents, total disdain for the average fan - it's nothing but a crooked self-serving cartel where money is the ONLY motivation, imho. Why decent clubs like ours ever aspire to be part of that farce escapes me sometimes. :twisted:

We are all party to it, fans want clubs, clubs want players, players want agents, agents want money. We as fans are as much to blame, always wanting better, better and then better, enough is an old fashioned word, which we do not use. We as individuals can make as much money as we can but if somebody else does it (espiecally in the name of OUR sport) then for some reason thats seen as evil. Oyston is no angel believe me, he is getting a bit of his own treatment and true to form is not liking it!!

I dont see a gun to your head, this is 21st Century football like it or not, if you no like bye bye.